Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #21
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Well, now, getting this DVD together is definitely something that Prolific could do.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #22
jleslie
Engineer

I'd suggest e-mailing Nvidia and asking them, they used to be great for software support (unlike hardware design, alas) - unfortunately my contacts there are only for buying chips.
John
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #23
Racer57
Registered

Jim, I think that be only adding an eel for the cave that would poke his head in an out, make the starfish change positions and the ability to feed the fish would really enhance your product and thus you could demand a higher price. I would certainly pay for those enhancements.

Roger
Racer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #24
pogona
Registered

well, apple isn't the same as android, android is much more accesable, not so exclusive, even some aplications, like the game angry birds, sold for free for android has become more profitable than the pay version for the iphone. (so not everything is written, android is giving a lot of surprises)

I think it worths the try to put it in the android market, at least, sure people will talk more about it. and a donation version may not be very rentable, but something is something.

nowadays investing in android is an intelligent idea.
pogona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #25
Jim Sachs
Developer

Not going to happen. The iPhone version was easy for Jim O'Connor's team because it was nearly identical to their Mac version. An Android version would be a complete re-write.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #26
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
It's hard to justify spending time on new features or additions unless sales pick up again.  
Ouch! No creature packs! Sigh! That's one of the top 3 reasons I stuck around so long.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #27
Jim Sachs
Developer

You never know. If a TV manufacturer were to pick up the 3D Blu-Ray version, it could spark renewed interest and fund a new round of features.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-21-2010, 10:05 AM   #28
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

There's a factor in all of this, that MA is Jim's bread and butter. The more people he splits sales income with, the longer it's going to take him finish the house, get the movie together and so on. So he needs a path of least resistance to increase sales. I've wondered about getting it shown on the Ellen Degeneres show. She had that fireplace DVD up for weeks and it's nowhere near as interesting.
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #29
Yellow Tang
YT

Tournaments Won: 1

some ideas you could find here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/3d-stere...y-ray-pla.html

http://www.noeol.de/s3d/

http://www.3dtv.at/Index_en.aspx

http://dsc.ijs.si/damir.vrancic/pers...nt/Default.htm
Yellow Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #30
Jim Sachs
Developer

Nicki Gets It.

YT - thanks - I had visited most of those sites before, but I still don't have a clear path for cutting a 3D Blu-Ray DVD. Those Q&A sessions always start out so promising, but usually end in a very un-satisfying, "Just run the output through a bifurcated cam toggle, and Bob's your uncle!"

The closest thing to an actual solution seems to be from a guy named Tim Dashwood, but his stuff appears to need Final Cut, which is a very expensive Mac-only product.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #31
pogona
Registered

and how about windows phones?, they are also starting to take off, the addaptation should be easier.
pogona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #32
Jim Sachs
Developer

I don't know if they use DirectX or not.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-22-2010, 03:18 AM   #33
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The closest thing to an actual solution seems to be from a guy named Tim Dashwood, but his stuff appears to need Final Cut, which is a very expensive Mac-only product.  
Looks like you can do it with Final Cut Pro or Adobe After Effects. Both cost over $1,000. Link

By the way, I would think that the installed base of people with:
  • 3D-capable Blu-Ray player
  • 3D-capable 120Hz display
  • 3D glasses and willing to wear them every time they view the Aquarium
could be measured in the hundreds.

I don't know if they use DirectX or not.  
Windows Phone 7 supports DirectX 9 with Shader Model 3.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardwar...ts-directx-9/1
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 11:20 AM   #34
Jim Sachs
Developer

The point of doing a 3D Blu-Ray would not be to sell a bunch of 3D Blu-Ray disks, it would be to get us noticed again. Right now, every Costco, Fry's and Best Buy have at least one prominently-displayed 3D setup with people standing in line to see the tired factory demo, because there's nothing else available. Getting a version of MA on all those screens puts us back to where we were 5 years ago, and people start coming to SereneScreen.com again.

I saw that Windows Phone article yesterday, and it looked encouraging. Then I saw that it was from last March, and there were subsequent articles that suggested DirectX 10/11 would be necessary. It still might be do-able, if they don't require the Managed version. It's also been suggested that C# might be needed for development, which I don't do. Developer info is surprisingly sparse. Unless it would be just a one or two-day re-compile, I doubt if I'd be willing to do a Windows Phone version. I designed the Aquarium for big displays, and it's really only a throw-away novelty on a tiny phone screen.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-22-2010, 07:56 PM   #35
dampfnudel
Registered

On a 3DTV-related note:

http://gizmodo.com/5715891/survey-says-we-all-hate-3dtv
dampfnudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #36
Jim Sachs
Developer

I finally figured out the missing step in burning a 3D Blu-Ray DVD. It's getting the video output into a 3D AVI file format. There are various products out there that can burn the disks (often just using a normal cheap DVD burner), but they need to start with a 3D AVI file, or the equivalent.

One step closer. At least I know what to look for now. (A cursory Google search was a bit disappointing, though. Several programs claim to be able to screen-capture movies from 3D apps, but it appears that the resulting AVI file is not 3D.)
Jim Sachs
Old 12-23-2010, 04:52 AM   #37
cjmaddy
Registered

Re: We All Hate 3DTV!

Originally posted by dampfnudel:
Agreed! - But.....
Why do I have the feeling that the more Jim is reminded that 3D is dead in the water, the more he will be determined to chase a lost cause? ...

Yes, 3D can look wonderful. (For a brief passing moment!) - I experienced that with my 3D shutter glasses, - But like most everyone else since the changeover from analog TV, I recently purchased a superb new HD TV. - There is no way I'm now going to throw all that away for a niche technology that barely has any support.... (Plus, the need for 3D glasses, and the willingness to wear them whenever there is 3D!)

The point of doing a 3D Blu-Ray would not be to sell a bunch of 3D Blu-Ray disks, it would be to get us noticed again. Right now, every Costco, Fry's and Best Buy have at least one prominently-displayed 3D setup with people standing in line to see the tired factory demo, because there's nothing else available. Getting a version of MA on all those screens puts us back to where we were 5 years ago, and people start coming to SereneScreen.com again...  
Jim, I honestly don't think getting a 3D version of MA on a very few 3DTV screens will put you back to where you were 5 years ago. - At that time, the whole general public could get MA running on their existing equipment. This time you would be playing only to those few who fall for this latest 3D gimmick. - I don't really think it would start many new people coming to SereneScreen.com again.

Last edited by cjmaddy; 12-23-2010 at 06:04 AM.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #38
Jim Sachs
Developer

Lacking any better suggestions, I don't really see a downside to doing a 3D Blu-Ray. If I just had the knowlege of how to make one, the advantages would be several:

1. No programming is necessary, the program already puts out 3D, all I have to do is capture it and burn a disk.

2. There are thousands of 3D kiosks set up at major store chains, with hundreds of thousands of eyes looking at them every day.

3. There is virtually no other 3D content yet. Just by being one of the first, we'd get press coverage.

4. Samsung's entire international ad campaign ALREADY looks like they are using my Aquarium. They just might see it as a match made in heaven.

5. If even one manufacturer were to simply package my disk with their TV, it would be the only demo available for all the new owners to show their friends. The SereneScreen URL would be displayed once again.

6. All this could happen for just the price of a trip to Las Vegas. CES is only about 3 weeks off, and all the 3DTV companies will be displaying there. I'm hoping that just like in my old C-64 and Amiga days, I can easily slip into various booths and convince the floor workers to play my disk instead of whatever tired demo they are using. Eventually, company officials would wander through their own booth, and say, "Wow...what's THIS?"

Remember, the goal is not to sell 3D Blu-Ray disks (although I'd be surprised if we didn't sell 500 of them). The goal is to get noticed for little or no expenditure. I don't really care if the whole 3DTV industry is dead in a year, as long as a bunch of new customers are made aware of our product. As has always happened, any new influx of customers is self-sustaining for a long time, because they all become evangalists for SereneScreen.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #39
harris
Registered

Jim,

It sounds like a very ambitious, well thought-out plan. I wish you success.
harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:07 AM   #40
Jim Sachs
Developer

Ha, ha - of all my plans, this is the least ambitious. If I could just figure out how to get the bytes from my nVidia frame buffers to a 3D AVI file, I could have a 3D Blu-Ray disk by the end of the day.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows