Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 09:23 AM   #41
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
The music playlist interface and the logo playlist interface are nearly identical internally. They both have a default file to play if the list is empty. If you delete everything in the list, exit Settings, then go back into Settings, both those interfaces should have their default filename listed. After a cursory look at the code, it's not obvious why the Logo list shows the default logo, but the Music list does not show the default music. I'll have to dig deeper, but I'm still working on the Framerate stuff.  
It would also be more consistent if the Music List panel had an "Add MA3 Music" button.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #42
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by JohnWho:
Yeah, now that you point it out, I checked my other PC and the file is not there. .  
If it's significant to your "readme" efforts, people might also see another file in the appdata folder:

openserenescreenbuy.js

That file is created if you click on the "Visit Website" button.

As I recall, in earlier versions, it may have had a different name.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:22 AM   #43
JohnWho
Registered

I don't really think the "readme" should get so technical with the "behind the scenes" stuff.

I did notice that "js" file - actually two of them:

openserenescreen.js
openserenescreenbuy.js

As long as the readme explains to folks how to get CanonGuitar.sgt (and you helped me with that) back in the playlist, I thnk we are OK.

Of course, I'm not the final decider, so we shall see what is to be seen.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #44
Dale
Banned

I did notice that "js" file - actually two of them:

openserenescreen.js
openserenescreenbuy.js  
Yes. I don't know what generated the first one, or when the name changed, but they are identical and both take you to the same place:

http://www.serenescreen.com/

Footnote: as noted elsewhere, uninstalling MA3 does not get rid of any files from this folder.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:58 PM   #45
Jim Sachs
Developer

That's all Installer stuff, which is a total mystery to me.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:21 PM   #46
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

John.. just where will this "read-me" that you are working on be available?
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:30 PM   #47
JohnWho
Registered

Ralph -

The plan, secret it is not, is for me to email it to Jim though our respective email services. He will then open the new "readme.txt" file and be totally amazed with its wondrous content.

The remainder of the plan has not been revealed to me, perhaps because it is under a "need to know" basis. I do suspect that at some unspecified time in the future, you will be able to read a new "readme.txt" file provided somehow in coordination with the MA 3.1 release. How much that file resembles what I send to Jim, other than possibly the file name, remains to be discovered.

I am not at liberty to divulge anything further on this topic.

JW
Old 06-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #48
JohnWho
Registered

Yes, I have a spot for that in my "draft" copy.

Limited to only the top line of fish, no more than 3 of each, and you need to learn how to type "testfish"?

Anything else?

Oddly, I can't find this in writing anywhere.

Perhaps I haven't searched in the right place(s)?  
Just noticed I still don't have a definitive answer to what the limitations on the "testfish" demo version are.

Anyone running the demo version?

Does it limit one to only the top row of fish?

Is there a limit to the number of total fish in the tank?

Other than having to type "testfish" to enter the settings, are there any other limitations?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #49
Jim Sachs
Developer

Limited to top row of fish.
Need to type in "testfish" when starting the program or entering Settings.
The normal 30-fish limit on total fish.
Jim Sachs
Old 06-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #50
JohnWho
Registered

Thanks Jim.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:46 PM   #51
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

John why not run a demo version yourself and then play with all the settings at your will.
Start > Run > regedit (type it in) and hit enter; open the branch HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\SERENESCREEN\MARINEAQUA RIUM3 select it, right click and rename it (I just put an exclamation mark in front of the name). Do the same with the branch HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_SOFTWARE\SERENESCREEN\MARINEAQU ARIUM3.
Close regedit and open /start MarineAquarium3. You will find it to be a "demo" version (it will have your music selection though and color clock settings), rename those if you want a true new demo.
When finished... open regedit, scroll to both branches, delete the newly made MarineAquarium3 entries and rename back to the original name to get your non beta back.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #52
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Need to type in "testfish" when starting the program or entering Settings.
Are you sure... I can only find 16 once you start changing settings, I "think" the default is 3 of each of the top row... but
Old 06-03-2010, 08:48 PM   #53
JohnWho
Registered

Thanks for that (info on reverting to a "demo" version), Ralph.

I'll keep that in my back pocket if I need to do it.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #54
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Ralph:
Are you sure... I can only find 16 once you start changing settings, I "think" the default is 3 of each of the top row... but  
At least for Beta 11i, the "testfish" fish limitation is:
Limited to the top row of 6 different fish. Plus the starfish *
Defaults to 3,3,2,2,2,2 for a total of 14 fish in the tank.
Can be adjusted (with "random fish" taken from the top row, or with "all on" or "all random" again taken from the top row) to the maximum of 30 fish in the tank.
* The Starfish can be on or off, and doesn't count against the limit of 30 total fish.

Other "testfish" difference:

Although it can be configured as your Screensaver (personalization), the Screensaver never starts. (Windows 7, at least).

"Visit Website" button is labeled "Buy Full Version"
That button generates the openserenescreenbuy.js file, and takes you to the top page http://www.serenescreen.com/ - and not to the "buy" page.

There may be other differences, but that's all I found.
Old 06-04-2010, 12:14 AM   #55
Jim Sachs
Developer

Offline for a while. Computer down again.
Jim Sachs
Old 06-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #56
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Just noticed I still don't have a definitive answer to what the limitations on the "testfish" demo version are.

Anyone running the demo version?

Does it limit one to only the top row of fish?

Is there a limit to the number of total fish in the tank?

Other than having to type "testfish" to enter the settings, are there any other limitations?

Thanks in advance.  
Documentation is best written by personal testing. You always find things that the specs don't indicate. I speak from personal experience documenting a Smart Valve Positioner for a Japanese company. We went through 20 revisions because I was going off the specs, rather than taking it apart and operating it myself.

Sounds like you need:
https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/...achsremove.reg
or at least:
https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/...ma3_remove.reg
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:02 AM   #57
JohnWho
Registered

@ Dale -

Thanks for that additional info on the "testfish" version regarding the "Visit Website/Buy Now" button and for confirmation on the fish limits.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #58
cjmaddy
Registered

Originally posted by feldon34:
Documentation is best written by personal testing. You always find things that the specs don't indicate. I speak from personal experience documenting a Smart Valve Positioner for a Japanese company. We went through 20 revisions because I was going off the specs, rather than taking it apart and operating it myself.  
Along the same lines as the above....
So far, only Ralph and myself have confirmed the second-instance problem . If therefore, (as I suspect), it does not apply to any single-monitor systems, then I think we could safely let the subject drop. - I can't think of any situation or time where we might want two instances of a MA3 window running at the same time. - In addition, if Jim is not running multi-monitors, then he has no hope of tracking it down...... If indeed it needs tracking down.

Also, MA3 is working as intended on my other single-monitor PCs, (ie a second-instance window is prevented from starting if another window is already running). - So unless any single-monitor user can report otherwise, then it seems reasonable to accept that this is just another quirk that will only arise where a second monitor is present.

However, - surely the intended ReadMe/User Manual should cover multiple screen use? - MA3 is after all, specifically designed to run on at least two screens. - So perhaps a description something along the lines of the following should be included....
On multi-monitor systems, any attempt to start a second-instance window of MA3 will not fail, (as intended), but is likely to cause a locked second image, requiring MA3 to be closed down in order to clear the locked image. - Additionally, it is recommended that the size and shape of any MA3 'window' must be contained within the screen area of the Primary monitor only, if normal running is to be achieved. - If any part of the window should encroach onto a second screen, then the FPS will drop dramatically. - Setting-up which monitor is to be the Primary monitor, is therefore also important.

But as stated by Morgan...
Documentation is best written by personal testing. You always find things that the specs don't indicate..... .....because I was going off the specs, rather than taking it apart and operating it myself.
.... Otherwise, it becomes a case of, 'The-blind-leading-the-blind'. - (Or even worse, the product of a committee!)
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #59
Dale
Banned

Isn't that two entirely different subjects, connected only by multiple monitors? And are they thoroughly understood?

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
On multi-monitor systems, any attempt to start a second-instance window of MA3 will not fail, (as intended), but is likely to cause a locked second image, requiring MA3 to be closed down in order to clear the locked image..]  
Perhaps I don't understand the situation. Does that always occur on any multi-monitor systems? Otherwise, wouldn't it just be sufficient to say "don't try that"?

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
Additionally, it is recommended that the size and shape of any MA3 'window' must be contained within the screen area of the Primary monitor only, if normal running is to be achieved. - If any part of the window should encroach onto a second screen, then the FPS will drop dramatically. - Setting-up which monitor is to be the Primary monitor, is therefore also important.[/b][/i]]  
I don't understand that wording at all. To me, it says that MA3 will only work on one monitor, if you have more than one.

And, whatever the restriction, does it apply to all multi-monitor systems? Or just some?

Frankly, if the behaviors (or "bugs") are not thoroughly understood, I'm not sure they should be documented. But perhaps you and Ralph do completely understand what's happening, and I'm just not reading well.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #60
cjmaddy
Registered

I can only help you to understand more by repeating what I have already said. - I suggest you carefully re-read it again.
Are you saying that because you do not understand it, then it must not be documented? .... That, IMO, is being rather shortsighted.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows