Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 04-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
cjmaddy
Registered

*** MA3 Beta 11e Comments, Problems, Discussion ***

Has no-one yet found this post !!!.... https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...69&#post120669 ??
The new interface for changing background colours is now out !!! - What are you all waiting for? - It's what we've all been asking for! - We can now have any colour we want, without a registry hack! .... And also the Logos in the crystal fade when changing!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
MadBob
Guitar Man

so why when I double click it does it no longer run but takes me to the settings dialog. also does same if right clicked and test selected.
MadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:28 PM   #3
cjmaddy
Registered

What!!! ..... When you double click what?
It no longer runs??..... Did it run before? ..... I think you've done something wrong, Bob!
Old 04-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
MadBob
Guitar Man

just downloaded it, un-zipped the SCR to my desktop, double clicked it and it doesn't actually run. nor does right clicking on it and selecting test from the dropdown.

I fact right click and install does not install either.
MadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

A fresh download.. un zip.. and a shortcut to my desktop works for me. As a "*.scr" file I get a security popup asking if I want to run this file. Perhaps your version of Windows has a security setting to dis allow running *.scr files. Just as a test rename it with an EXE extension and see if it runs..You may have the scr extension designated for something else
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
JohnWho
Registered

Copy the scr file to the same folder/directory your old one is in.

If you want to be cautious, rename the old one first (I renamed mine to "MarineAquarium3.scrx), then copy the new MarineAquarium3.scr file to that folder.

So, far, for me, the background color portion works great. The background in a bright orange/yellow orange is simply stunning, albeit simply "not right", too.

Can't get the second hand to turn off.

Also, the color selections for the logos is not "holding" - meaning when I check a color, it does not stay. Could be a User rights issue?
JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

The color picker and other settings are NOT yet working... Only the background and fading of crystal at the moment
Old 04-20-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
cjmaddy
Registered

I believe the Clock/Calendar Options and Colour options are just place holders for the next phase, 11e is as described here... https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...69&#post120669
Old 04-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
JohnWho
Registered

Thanks Ralph and cjmaddy.

In that case, those features are working well for me.

Most excellent, especially the background color changing, although I do notice one, somewhat interesting aspect - the colors I pick for the backgrounds aren't exactly what appears. For example, the default Blue/Black pairing doesn't show any actual Black, although the Blue may be very close to the selected color. This is a very minor "observation" and not something I would consider of concern.

On the other hand, the fading between one background color set to another is very well done and visually enhances the entire concept. Kudos on that.

Correction - I can now see that the colors chosen seem to appear at the extreme top and bottom of the visible background areas. The main area between that is the gradual change between the colors.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
cjmaddy
Registered

If you haven't already sorted out your best colours yet, the link back in post #13 has a good selection of typical RGB values that are useful for a starting point. - My first starting set is.... R=0 G=0 B=70 and R=0 G=35 B=0. - But I do have some light colours also!... When all sets are chosen, use F1 to manually cycle through the different colour backgrounds, and F2 to toggle the auto-change On/Off. The subtle blending of the two halves can have the effect of apparently seeming to changing the colours slightly, - you have to work at it!
Old 04-20-2010, 03:53 PM   #11
JohnWho
Registered

Yeah, I'm seeing that.

One set I have is:

Top - 160,16,0 and bottom - 220, 220, 0

Really odd seeing the background in these colors.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by JohnWho:
Really odd seeing the background in these colors.  
Jim's worst nightmare...
Old 04-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #13
henemly
asdf

The "fade" between selections looks super! Any chance for fade duration
setting (rapidity of the fade itself)? Opps, sorry. Forget I said that.
http://www.coltrain.byethost8.com
henemly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #14
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Ralph:
A fresh download.. un zip.. and a shortcut to my desktop works for me. As a "*.scr" file I get a security popup asking if I want to run this file. Perhaps your version of Windows has a security setting to dis allow running *.scr files. Just as a test rename it with an EXE extension and see if it runs..You may have the scr extension designated for something else  
Nope. This is a BUG.

Clicking on the .scr file gives a message "The publisher could not be verified. Are you sure you want to run this software?"

Renaming it to .exe does not change the symptom.,

Placing the file in \Windows\System32 and clicking on the desktop icon to run the simulation results in the same message.

Note 1: It runs without the message as a screensaver - but I'm confident that isn't what is wanted.

Note 2: This download isn't an installer version, so who knows...

Note 3: Windows 7, 32-bit.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #15
Jim Sachs
Developer

I sometimes forget that the members of the general Forum have not been seeing all the back-and-forth dialog in the Beta test section, so I should have mentioned the following over here when I posted the link:

You may see some new items in the Clock/Logo Settings screen. None of these are hooked up yet, but may give a hint at what I'll be working on next.

Regarding W7 - I don't have it, so I don't know why it would not simply open the program when double-clicked. Nothing in my code has changed in that regard, so I can only assume that there's something in Prolific's installer that adresses it. Double-clicking works fine as always here.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:02 PM   #16
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Regarding W7 - I don't have it, so I don't know why it would not simply open the program when double-clicked. Nothing in my code has changed in that regard, so I can only assume that there's something in Prolific's installer that adresses it. Double-clicking works fine as always here.  
I'm aware that you don't have Windows 7 - but it's "supported", isn't it?

I had renamed the 10d .scr file in C:\Windows\System32 to be MarineAquarium3_10d.scr. No changes - just a rename. Double-clicking on that file runs the simulation without the message.

As I said, I copied the new MarineAquarium3.scr into C:\Windows\System32. Double-clicking on that file does ask the question.

As you indicated, some of the features in 11 are not "hooked up" yet, so it's not ready for release anyway. But I believe that we should test the installer version, not just the .scr, when that is ready.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:24 PM   #17
Dale
Banned

Back in the good old days.... (this is from February 2009)

Originally posted by feldon34:
I wish more people would start new threads with each version or each new issue that comes up. It gets confusing with discussions spread over READ ME FIRST and various other threads.  
Old 04-20-2010, 10:53 PM   #18
Jim Sachs
Developer

Of course all the new additions will be completed and tested here on the Forum before the program is turned over to the cast-of-thousands who will and do all the UNICODE/Internationalization/installer stuff. Then we'll bring it back here for more testing, and finally put it up on the SereneScreen website, probably as MA3.1.

I wouldn't know how to write a program that "supports" any certain operating system. The situation is exactly the opposite - my program is supported BY certain OSs, including Win98,WinXP,and (rumor has it) Vista and W7. As long as Microsoft continues to recognize DirectX 8/9, then my program should run. I've never changed anything for an OS, though Prolific's installer might.

My only information regarding the behavior of MA3 on different OSs is from you guys. I have no dialog with Microsoft. Though they were supposed to provide DirectX help and testing of the program, they never did.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:27 AM   #19
The Old Man
Registered

MA3Beta11e - Found I had 6 copies of it running!

I just checked my e-mail and noticed MA3 Beta11e was out. So I downloaded it and uninstalled the last version from the Windows Uninstaller. I then right clicked on the downloaded file and selected Install. It installed fine and when I checked there was only one installation in the list of available screensavers.

I was able to set up my fish and add some MP3 tracks. I noticed though that every time I exited the screensaver and went back to the screen saver settings panel in Windows 7 that the settings option and test option were unavailable. So closed the the window and then re-opened it again from the Control Panel > Change Screensaver option. Thus I was able to make changes to the MP3 list and load in a photo for the crystal.

When testing the changes, I noticed the fish were starting to judder, there was no MP3 playback and the hard drive was thrashing about, so I quit the screensaver again, and looked at the task manager. I found I had 6 copies running!

http://www.screencast.com/t/OWNkMTI2NzMt

Never had any problems on Windows 7 Home Premium before with the last beta or the installer version which is the one I had running before.
Bought MA3 Beta on previously for Vista and now running it on Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit with an Nvidia GTX650Ti powering a 22" monitor and it's stunning!
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #20
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

[quote=The Old Man;120724] I found I had 6 copies running!QUOTE]

For what it is worth... this happened to me as well when starting to test this. Checking in the Task Manager each copy was using some 15 ~20 resources. I ended up removing (un installing) the program and re installed. It has been good since.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows