Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #21
Dale
Banned

60 ppi versus 132 ppi would make quite a difference. But I presume every other full-screen application developer is facing the same problem.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:42 PM   #22
AKcrab
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Correct. So you can picture 480x320 images stretched to 1024x768. By the way, 1024x768 is the MA2.6 native res on the PC and Mac, so it may be possible to get it to run in that res on the iPad.  
To market this product as "designed for both iPhone and iPad" seems a bit disingenuous to me. If it is "designed for the iPad" that means (to me) that it has been (re)coded to fit the iPad native resolution.

If I'm reading you right, it is basically running the iPhone app at 2X.
AKcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #23
Jim Sachs
Developer

The conversion was done by Jim O'Connor's team. Like all other iPad developers, they only had an emulation program on the Mac. MA2.6 was selected by Apple as an official iPad app. Jim O's iPad hasn't arrived yet, but Mike Babin's has. Mike was able to get full-resolution of Ma2.6 on the iPad, despite severe programming constraints.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 04-05-2010 at 12:34 PM.
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #24
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Marine Aquarium 2.6 is $0.99. That's LESS THAN ONE DOLLAR.

So I'm going to have limited patience allusions to this somehow being a ripoff. I'm not saying criticism and suggestions are not welcome, but please consider the price of the product.

Note: Because of the way the App Store works, customers will get a notification that a new version is available.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #25
Jim Sachs
Developer

A couple of people have reported that MA2.6 actually looks very good on the iPad.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #26
Jim Sachs
Developer

Mike Babin was able to get MA2.6 to use full resolution. You can even stretch and zoom in, using fingertip control.
Jim Sachs

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 04-05-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #27
Michael Babin
Mac Development

Yes, full resolution on the iPad. No pixel doubling, stretching, scaling, etc.

Submitting the final binary before receiving the actual hardware was a bit nerve-wracking, to say the least. Since Apple reviews all the software before putting it up for sale on the App Store, I was almost entirely certain users wouldn't encounter any major flaws if the app made it through review. Still, first thing I did with my new iPad was test MA.
Michael Babin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:01 AM   #28
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yay, Mike!
Jim Sachs
Old 04-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #29
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Michael Babin:
Yes, full resolution on the iPad. No pixel doubling, stretching, scaling, etc.

Submitting the final binary before receiving the actual hardware was a bit nerve-wracking, to say the least. Since Apple reviews all the software before putting it up for sale on the App Store, I was almost entirely certain users wouldn't encounter any major flaws if the app made it through review. Still, first thing I did with my new iPad was test MA.  
Congratulations.

And please don't interpret my posts as criticism - I was just quoting the numbers, and it didn't surprise me that there might have been restrictions.

Glad you got full resolution, and of course on the slightly-smaller-than-monitor screen with the same number of pixels, it should look even better.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #30
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I've gone back and edited Jim's posts to indicate that Marine Aquarium 2.6 in fact displays on the iPad with no resolution issues.

But I'm considering closing the thread, since I'd rather folks not find this thread or reference this thread and somehow come to the conclusion that the iPad version is compromised in some way.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 04-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #31
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks, Morgan, but I don't think closing the thread is necessary. The iPhone/iPad version is working as we hoped, and feedback is welcome.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-07-2010, 08:04 AM   #32
Dathomir
Registered

Downloaded and installed on my iPhone and works a treat.

Now I can carry my aquarium around with me! (and annoy people with the bubble sound on high volume! )
Dathomir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #33
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks, Dathomir!

Anyone who has downloaded and likes MA2.6 is encouraged to give it a positive rating in the App Store. At 99 cents (20 cents for me), we have to sell an awful lot of these things to make it worth the trouble. Right now, it buys my lunch. At least I can afford jelly with the peanut butter.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-07-2010, 03:49 PM   #34
henemly
asdf

Them 20¢ add up. One million buyers is $200,000 bucks
http://www.coltrain.byethost8.com
henemly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:54 PM   #35
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

A lot of these apps do actually sell into the millions, so I'm told. If only Jim had invented Farmville.
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:39 PM   #36
Jim Sachs
Developer

The Koi app was the biggest seller on the iPhone, and sold in the millions. We seem to be stuck at 126 per day.
Jim Sachs
Old 04-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #37
MikeL
Registered

Droid Eris?

Will there be an Android version too? Fingers crossed. I'm in tech school doing web design and everyone loves the screensaver on my laptop.
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #38
AKcrab
Registered

Originally posted by feldon34:
So I'm going to have limited patience allusions to the idea that this is somehow a ripoff. I'm not saying criticism and suggestions are not welcome, but please consider the price of the product.  
I was merely concerned about what the product actually was. I bought it for my iPhone.

I sell/repair macs for a living, so you might say I live and breathe Apple. I was immediately worried having seen iPhone apps running at 2x on the iPad. The apps work fine, but they look likecrap.

Feedback from iPad owners has been that they are deleting iPhone versions of apps the second an iPad version is offered.

I'm extremely pleased that the iPad version is rendered natively for the iPad. I bet it looks stunning. Maybe I'll spend $2.97 and install it on our 3 demo iPad units.
AKcrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #39
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I updated the fan site with mocked up pictures of the Aquarium on iPhone and iPad.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #40
rhildinger
Registered

Purchased and now running on my iPad, and it works great! Unfortunately since this is the MA2.6 version, the low resolution background texture is pretty obvious and could really use some improvement. Mostly it makes me immediately wish for an MA3 port.

-Robert
rhildinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows