Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 03-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #81
cjmaddy
Registered

No.

You just have to look at what happens to this if you spell colour correctly....

[colour=yellow]You just have to look at what happens to this if you spell colour correctly[/colour]....

cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #82
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

What really grated my cheese was having my spelling in high school criticized by my English teacher because I didn't use American spelling. I knew what country I was in, apparantly she didn't.

Actually I'm fine with Jim using American spelling since he's an American writing software in America. I just like being a troublemaker.
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #83
Wizwad
Only me...

Nicki - I agree (and me too!) When I was in Frankfurt for a school exchange, the German English teacher (she was German, the subject was English) refused to accept that 'smart' means anything other than 'intelligent'. Any attempts on my part to explain that in England 'smart' means 'well dressed' rather than 'bright' met with scathing contempt.

Of course, since then we've become homogonised through US TV shows to such a degree that these days I wonder if the kids realise that 'smart' can be used in other ways than to denote IQ or cunning.

And to get back to the subject at hand - nice job on the Colour interface, Jim!

(Cliff, I think the others were teasing you over the excessive use of capitals rather than missing letters - check the title bar of the original screen shot!)
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #84
cjmaddy
Registered

I'm not blind. - - I was teasing about spelling! .... Capitals? - some don't even know that those exist!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #85
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

I like Rick's suggestions.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #86
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
Ralph and Nicki,

By now, I've become reluctantly conditioned to accepting that there are two ways that we are forced to spell 'colour'.....(a) The correct way! - and (b) The way that's necessary, if we wish a computer program to work!....... And yes, that also, should be, "programme"!...  
In Canada we speak the queens English as well.. my "picky" point was that Jim was not fast enough with the shift key when he typed COlors
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:26 AM   #87
Wizwad
Only me...

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
I'm not blind. - - I was teasing about spelling! .... Capitals? - some don't even know that those exist!  
Well, as an aging person myself, I know that you vintage people can sometimes overlook these things. I just wanted to make sure!

[runs value="fast"/]
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:42 AM   #88
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

ROFL
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #89
MadBob
Guitar Man

Originally posted by Wizwad:
Nicki - I agree (and me too!) When I was in Frankfurt for a school exchange, the German English teacher (she was German, the subject was English) refused to accept that 'smart' means anything other than 'intelligent'. Any attempts on my part to explain that in England 'smart' means 'well dressed' rather than 'bright' met with scathing contempt.

Of course, since then we've become homogonised through US TV shows to such a degree that these days I wonder if the kids realise that 'smart' can be used in other ways than to denote IQ or cunning.

And to get back to the subject at hand - nice job on the Colour interface, Jim!

(Cliff, I think the others were teasing you over the excessive use of capitals rather than missing letters - check the title bar of the original screen shot!)  
I bet that smarts
MadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:54 PM   #90
jleslie
Engineer

Back on the subject of the coleur picker (um, that isn't any better) can I say making colours by choosing RGB values is hard and perhaps there needs to be some choice of starting point? Anyone want to say what RGB of 35,107,142 makes? (Steel Blue, anyone want to try Khaki without using Google?)
Also, how about some internationalisation? (That's internationalization for those in the U.S.)
John
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #91
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by jleslie:
can I say making colours by choosing RGB values is hard  
You can.
perhaps there needs to be some choice of starting point?  
Please see the mockup.
Anyone want to say what RGB of 35,107,142 makes? (Steel Blue, anyone want to try Khaki without using Google?)  
Use the sliders and you instantly see the resulting color.

Also, how about some internationalisation? (That's internationalization for those in the U.S.)  
Internationalisation for 1 character (the u in colour)?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #92
Jim Sachs
Developer

The rgb sliders are the easiest way I can think of to choose a color. You are directly setting the very numbers that DirectX will be using. As Morgan says, you'll see the color in the rectangle change as you move the sliders. I've always found all those other interfaces for picking colors to be confusing. They obfiscate what is really happening.

As far as internationalization, it's the very reason why MA3 updates must be so few and far between. When I turn in a release candidate, an army of translatiors and programmers go to work making versions in German, French, Korean, Japanese, etc.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #93
JohnWho
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
The rgb sliders are the easiest way I can think of to choose a color. You are directly setting the very numbers that DirectX will be using. As Morgan says, you'll see the color in the rectangle change as you move the sliders ...  
Yep, I think it works well, too (or will once it's completed and released).

I especially like that we'll be able to give the aquarium background realistic, natural colors like shades of red, orange, and yellow.

JohnWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #94
Dale
Banned

As far as internationalization, it's the very reason why MA3 updates must be so few and far between. When I turn in a release candidate, an army of translatiors and programmers go to work making versions in German, French, Korean, Japanese, etc.  
I18N translation is usually only necessary for documentation, and for features that change the wording on settings panels.

Translation would not normally be required for things like bug fixes, and "look and feel" improvements. So, in those cases, I don't see why "few and far between" would apply.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:32 AM   #95
Terry Kennedy
Registered

Originally posted by Dale:
I view this as a MA3 support issue. Folks in this forum tracked it down to the extent that we could (actually farther than might be expected). So, unless I have a personal need to solve it, it's up to Jim/Prolific.  
Since I was able to play MP3 sounds successfully from within the MA3 "Music Playlist" box, even on the systems that were/are having the problem, why not change the bubbles to be in MP3 format? The software already knows how to play MP3's. For extra points, the CanonGuitar could also be changed, but I expect more people would benefit from the bubble change.
Terry Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 01:59 AM   #96
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Dale:
Translation would not normally be required for things like bug fixes, and "look and feel" improvements. So, in those cases, I don't see why "few and far between" would apply.  
Why does Jim even bother posting anymore, if you are going to "correct" him on facts about his own product in every thread?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 03-16-2010, 02:01 AM   #97
Jim Sachs
Developer

MP3s are hundreds of times bigger than MIDI files. I've always tried to keep the Marine Aquarium compact and efficient. It's a small download which treads lightly on bandwidth, and I plan to keep it that way.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-16-2010, 02:48 AM   #98
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Jim,

If you would like to provide an optional downloadable content as an mp3 or mp3s here on the forums, please let me know. We have 1,500GB of available monthly bandwidth and we use less than 10%.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:10 AM   #99
Terry Kennedy
Registered

MP3s are hundreds of times bigger than MIDI files. I've always tried to keep the Marine Aquarium compact and efficient. It's a small download which treads lightly on bandwidth, and I plan to keep it that way.  
True. But you did say "The bubble sound is a simple looping wave (.wav) file.". That's why I said that the bubbles were the primary issue.

Of course, it would be better if the underlying problem was addressed, but it doesn't sound like that's likely to happen.
Terry Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #100
Jim Sachs
Developer

On the contrary, I think it's very likely to happen. Some day, someone will be messing around with their drivers or tweaking their Windows settings, and the MIDI files will just start playing. The hard part is getting them to come back here to the Forum and report what they did.

MP3 is an extremely complex proprietary system, and I'm positive that switching to it would break far more systems than it would fix.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows