Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 02-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #81
garybebee
Registered

single clicked and double clicked it to no avail. i am leaning towards purchasing the cd version and hoping that is a different result. what do you think of that idea? i have been around the horn two or three times on all these suggestions(which i definitely appreciate), but i don't seem to be making any progress. i would rather buy the cd than keep bugging you all!
garybebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #82
garybebee
Registered

hi jim, sorry to keep bugging you. do you think i would have better luck by purchasing the cd? at this point i have spent too much of you and the other members time. it would be worth it to me if it worked. thanks again, gary
Old 02-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #83
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

As far as time, don't worry thats what we are here for.

As for the cd, I doubt so, it is the same thing, or a slightly earlier version in the process. The live download at serenescreen is always the latest version available.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:49 PM   #84
garybebee
Registered

i downloaded a sound effect file of bubbles and loaded into ma7 as a music file with a .aif extension and it plays! the bubble sound didn't come as a loop but i made it one so it has some minute choppiness to it. haha. i still think i will buy the cd version unless you guys think it would be a waste of money.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #85
garybebee
Registered

i figured maybe the cd would be a better source for the specific sound extension jim used.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #86
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by garybebee:
single clicked and double clicked it to no avail. i am leaning towards purchasing the cd version and hoping that is a different result. what do you think of that idea? i have been around the horn two or three times on all these suggestions(which i definitely appreciate), but i don't seem to be making any progress. i would rather buy the cd than keep bugging you all!  
I am so confident that the CD version will not fix your problem, that if you buy the CD version and it does fix the problem, I'll reimburse your cost.

On the other hand - perhaps you need to take your computer to some fixit place (or call a Geek or whatever), and offer to pay their fee only if they can make MA3 play the bubbles and CannonGuitar music.

I don't mind taking a lot of time to try to help - but I'm totally convinced that it's "something" that has been installed on your computer, and I have no idea how to figure out "what".
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:23 PM   #87
Yodelking
yodeler

1 Highscore

I don't think the CD-version will help either. It's the same program.
And regarding letting Dale and others spend "too much time helping you", don't worry!
If the case is finally solved, the next person with the same problem will be easier to help.

Did you try to re-install the latest DirectX? (Don't remember if that was in the thread already).
Yodelking - För god att kolsyra!
Yodelking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #88
Jim Sachs
Developer

The CD version is exactly the same as the download version. Once installed, the program lives on your computer -- it does not access the CD for sound or anything else.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #89
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

Would this help at all? Start the aquarium in windowed mode with music off and only canonguitar in the playlist. Also bring up task manager -> processes. Bring up MA3 menu and enable music then see if a process is launched. This would be the process that is trying to open the .sgt file if it has been hijacked by another program. Yes/no/maybe?
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #90
Jim Sachs
Developer

There's no separate process. It's all MA3, which does not know or care what other programs might be using the .sgt extension. It just gets the bytes and feeds them to the sound card through the DirectX MIDI drivers.

Dale - Your bet regarding reimbursment of the cost of the CD is a risky one. Something totaly unrelated might fix the problem. Maybe shortly after installation, his cat might walk across the keyboard and press the M or B key, and the sound might magically start working.

But seriously, I think the CD asks if you want to reinstall DirectX. If that has not been done, some missing drivers might be put back into place, in which case the CD might be seen as "fixing" the problem.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-27-2010, 11:39 AM   #91
cjmaddy
Registered

How many times over the years have I recommended, that if there is an unexplained problem, then try re-installing DirectX, then reboot your computer.

.... And how many times have I been ridiculed?
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #92
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Dale - Your bet regarding reimbursment of the cost of the CD is a risky one. Something totaly unrelated might fix the problem. Maybe shortly after installation, his cat might walk across the keyboard and press the M or B key, and the sound might magically start working.

But seriously, I think the CD asks if you want to reinstall DirectX. If that has not been done, some missing drivers might be put back into place, in which case the CD might be seen as "fixing" the problem.  
Yes, I understand the risks - but I thing garybebee is an honorable and honest person. And besides, the cost of the CD is far less than what I would charge a client for the time I've (willingly) put into this already.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #93
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

Okay, not that then. When I get vexing little problems like this, I sometimes will set up a new user account on my computer and then run the problem program immediately before making any changes. This has fixed video driver problems as well as Windows Live glitches when even a complete uninstall has not helped.

Certainly though, reinstalling DirectX doesn't take much time and could just be it.
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:29 PM   #94
Dale
Banned

Latest redistributable download.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-5ab8109cb4f5

Download the executable, and run it - which will unpack a bunch of files to somewhere that you specify. Then run DXSETUP.exe from there.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #95
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by cjmaddy:
And how many times have I been ridiculed?  
Not that we ever needed a reason.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #96
Dale
Banned

How many times over the years have I recommended, that if there is an unexplained problem, then try re-installing DirectX, then reboot your computer.  
Search says the answer is 14.

.... And how many times have I been ridiculed?  
I couldn't figure out how to search for that - nor how to search for how many times it has actually worked. And how many times it did not work.

But you're absolutely right that it's worth a try.

Presumably, garybebee will try it and let us know if it's successful in this case.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #97
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Dale:
Search says the answer is 14.  
That seems unreasonably low If true we must all endeavor to do much better in the future.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #98
Terry Kennedy
Registered

Originally posted by Vinz Clortho:
I agree with Dale. Probably some other piece of software has altered the file association setting for .sgt files. Uninstalling the software doesn't necessarily reset those settings, and I've not been able to find a fix online. There is a way to do it through the folder options in Windows explorer, but I have no idea how.  
Just as another data point - I too get no bubble sounds or music in MA3. I have checked a half dozen different XP (x32) and Windows 7 (x64) machines and none of them have a file type association set for .sgt files.

I can play .mp3 and other known file types by selecting them in the MA3 config window.

The only Microsoft reference I can find for sgt files states that they are an obsolete component of DirectMusic Producer for DirectX version 8.
Terry Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:03 PM   #99
Jim Sachs
Developer

I think there may still be a misunderstanding here. The fact that the file extension is .sgt has nothing to do with anything. It could just as easily have been .xyz or .raw. It's just a bunch of bytes that get loaded into a memory buffer and fed to the sound card via the DirectX MIDI drivers.

If the following conditions are met, then the sound should play:

Sound card and speakers are working, and volume is up.
DirectX MIDI drivers are in proper working order.
The MA3 window is the focus window.
Sound has not been turned off either in the MA3 Settings or by pressing the M (for music) or B (for bubble sound) keys.
Volume in MA3 Settings is set to something audible.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #100
Terry Kennedy
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I think there may still be a misunderstanding here. The fact that the file extension is .sgt has nothing to do with anything. It could just as easily have been .xyz or .raw. It's just a bunch of bytes that get loaded into a memory buffer and fed to the sound card via the DirectX MIDI drivers.  
Ok. I was basing my comment on several prior replies that said to try playing the file directly, and that some other application registering the .sgt extension could cause a conflict.

I tried (unsuccessfully) to find an application that could play .sgt files to verify that the file actually worked. Since MA3 doesn't expose an error log or traceback when trying to play the file, we can't use MA3 to troubleshoot this.

I did download the Feb 2010 DirectX update from Microsoft, as linked in a previous post. That didn't change anything for me.

Can you elaborate on how the bubble sounds are stored or generated? The inability to play the sample music isn't an issue for me, but I would like my bubble sounds.
Terry Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows