Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 05-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Harlan
Registered

Suggestions for Jim for Marine Aquarium 3.0

Hello, Jim. I've been a user of Marine Aquarium since its first release, and love the program. I'm looking forward to the final version of 3.0, and for it I'd to suggest a long-sought feature, and also a request that the program doesn't "back-slide" in one aspect.

1. First, I'm still hoping that you can add a Feed the Fish option. While I appreciate the attention to "improve fish behavior" (although it's hard to imagine more realistic behavior), I think a significant change that would add an interactive feature such as feeding the fish would be a major and welcome improvement.

2. Even with the addition of the Auto Pan feature, I hope you will retain the option for a full widescreen display. I have tested Auto Pan, and I would never use it -- it is too distracting and almost seasick-enducing. And, with a full widescreen, it's great to see the full aquarium all at once.

Keep up the great work,

Harlan
Harlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

1) As far as I know, feeding the fish is still on the charts for inclusion.

2) As for widescreen, you can still do that now by switching to windowed mode ( hit the "F" key ) and stretching the aquarium from one side of the screen to the other. Although with it being much wider now, you will be reducing the image where you might not see the detail and everything will be smaller.

PS. Welcome to the forums Harlan
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Harlan
Registered

Hello, Michael. Many thanks!

Great to hear about Feed the Fish. I look forward to it!

As for widescreen, in 2.6, widescreen is an option without going to the Window mode. It is really convenient using it this way. Any chance for continuing that feature in 3.0?

All the best,

Harlan
Old 05-28-2009, 02:08 PM   #4
Dreamster
Banned

I agree with Harlan that an option for having the screensaver being displayed in widescreen is a good thing. Yes, one can chose to have the saver displayed in a window but then you have to drag it out so that it displays properly and then you have the rest of your desktop being displayed with icons etc. Some of us are displaying the saver on big 30"+ displays and it would be nice to see the saver in widescreen without scrolling or anything else on the desktop to distract the viewer. Just a thought.
Dreamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
Harlan
Registered

Hi Michael. A follow-up to your recommendation about using "F" for widescreen: that works in part, by giving us about 20 percent more screen. But it amplifies a problem: the settings for the new software are based on the full extra-wide screen. This means that if I've selected 11 fish, for example, only three or four of them are on screen, while the others wander around off screen.

Isn't there any way to get a true full screen of the complete aquarium?

Cheers,

Harlan
Old 05-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

If you mean can it start like 2.6 did with black everywhere around a widescreen, then currently no there isn't. You can start the screensaver manually then move the window and drag the corners manually situating it in the center of the screen where you want it then set it as your screen saver.

It will start in full screen mode and you can then hit the "F" key and it will switch to windowed mode where you situated it before without losing password protection. No desktop icons will be visable, depending on your OS of course, I can't see any using XP Pro. But, I can still see the desktop itself.

Only Jim can answer if sometime later he might implement blacking out the desktop and letting windows start it in windowed mode as a locked saver.

It will then look like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen.JPG (227.8 KB, 34 views)
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Socrates
Sage

Do you not have widescreen monitors? I guess I'm not quite getting what you want it to look like? The aquarium spans more than just the typical 16:9.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The Aquarium is roughly two 16:9 monitors wide. The request is to display the entire aquarium on whatever screen you've got and put black bars at the top and bottom. MA2.6 does this.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
Harlan
Registered

Hi Michael. Dang, I really hope you could have a "complete screen" option, whether wide or square.

While I like the idea of having widescreen, I'm much more eager to have all of the fish I select on screen at the same time.

The features of 3.0 look great, and the colors and clarity are fantastic. But it won't be useful to switch to it if most of the fish I select are off screen swimming around where I can't see them.

So even if you can't scale the extra-wide capabilities of 3.0 into a more modest widescreen option, please please please try to have a feature that shows us all the fish, all the time.

Thanks!

Harlan
Old 05-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #10
Harlan
Registered

And finally -- do you have a date yet for the release of the finished 3.0?

Cheers,

Harlan
Old 05-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
feldon34
Forum Administrator

October 2014
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:34 PM   #12
Rick Simon
Registered

3 Highscores

Originally posted by feldon33:
October 2014  
but... but... but... isn't the world supposed to end on December 20th, 2012?

Rick Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #13
Jim Sachs
Developer

Boy, won't that be a relief
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #14
Harlan
Registered

Jim:

Hey -- it will be a better world when we have a Feed the Fish feature!

You do amazing work -- thanks so much for creating such intriguing software.

Harlan
Old 05-28-2009, 11:22 PM   #15
Rob62
Registered

3 Highscores

Originally posted by feldon33:
The Aquarium is roughly two 16:9 monitors wide. The request is to display the entire aquarium on whatever screen you've got and put black bars at the top and bottom. MA2.6 does this.  
Hey Harlan - how about if you simply put black electrical tape across the top and bottom of your monitor and then you can have that Letterboxed look you apparently seek...

Call me the strange one in these "interesting times" - but I actually enjoy utilizing the full screen (widescreen or square) that I paid for. Few things are as annoying to me as, when I watch a movie, and the main character has only half his forehead visable because that "Director's Point of View" has to show whatever it is off to the sides - REDICULOUS!

The option currently available within MA3 for showing more fish than the seven allowed in MA2.6 is astounding and a true work of skill and computer graphics art. I wonder if having all 30 fish visable at once this week - will invariably bring requests for even more next week.

Rob

~ God Bless ALL ~
Rob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:44 PM   #16
Harlan
Registered

Hi Rob. I'm not looking for wide screen for wide screen's sake. What I'm looking for is the full tank -- regardless of width. That way, all the fish stay on screen.

Cheers,

Harlan
Old 05-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #17
Rob62
Registered

3 Highscores

A freshwater version - with all the features you seek - is currently available here.

Rob

~ God Bless ALL ~
Rob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:04 AM   #18
Jim Sachs
Developer

I doubt if I'll do letterboxing. There are still people concerned about burn-in. As far as having all the chosen fish on the portion of the tank that's on-screen - there may be a way, but it will take a lot of thought. If there are just a few fish chosen, they could be forced to turn around immedialtely after going off-screen. But if there are 30 fish in the tank, it would be gridlock.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 05-29-2009 at 01:37 AM.
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:16 AM   #19
cjmaddy
Registered

I think that we should accept that MA3 is a VERY wide tank, and if we want to see the whole of it on one screen, then we have to have a very much reduced-height window. - If a version with black at the top and bottom, (a la MA2.6), becomes available, then fine for those who do not like making the necessary shape window. - But to place all 30 fish into 1/3 of the width of the full size tank is ridiculous, IMO.

I quite like seeing the population change slightly as some fish swim off screen, - and others swim back on! - it all seems quite natural to me.

..... But I also have two 5x4 monitors, - so I suppose the answer is, - if you want more fish on view, then get a bigger tank!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:40 AM   #20
henemly
asdf

Originally posted by Harlan:
in 2.6, widescreen is an option without going to the Window mode.  
True, 'newer' doesn't always mean 'better'.
http://www.coltrain.byethost8.com
henemly is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows