Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #101
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by patscarr:
Encore. That's it. Them. Why did you split with them, Jim? Did they get tired of waiting?  
That's probably confidential business information, and/or information that lawyers would advise against telling.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 PM   #102
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yep, they got tired of waiting.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:01 AM   #103
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Sorry to hear that Jim.

I know you get basically squat out of the retail version, but I would worry about the retail store presence being a big eye opener and draw for allot of people to find the aquarium. Are you planning on someone else instead of Encore?
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:16 AM   #104
Ad_Enuff
Registered

Is 8a available or is that the debate to release that version officially? Reason I ask is that I keep downloading 8 from the link and not 8a.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 3600.0 MHz, 16Gb DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 4Gb RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64Bit
Ad_Enuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #105
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Check my Beta Listing.

You will always find each version listed separately there so you can tell the difference.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #106
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Ad_Enuff:
Is 8a available or is that the debate to release that version officially? Reason I ask is that I keep downloading 8 from the link and not 8a.  
If you download the Beta from ANY beta download link on this forum you will get the latest version. In this case, that's 8b. The exception is Michael's archive which he just linked. He maintains an archive in case anyone needs old versions.

I would check out your internet cache/temporary files if you are getting old versions from the current download link.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #107
CodeMonkey
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
First I created the original Aquarium, which took a year, and that was MA. Then I added some fish, and that was MA2. Then I added a few more fish and a better interface, and that was MA2.5. Then I added the crystal, and that was MA2.6. All of those were incremental updates, based on the same framework.

Now that I've thrown out everything from the original program and spent years starting from scratch, if the revision number were to remain proportional to the amount of work, this should be about MA9. But I'm happy calling it MA3.  
So does this mean that 2.6 will be released as open source hehe
CodeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:50 PM   #108
Jim Sachs
Developer

It's practically open source now. Just start with the Microsoft DirectX example code and modify it to do anything you want.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #109
Jim Sachs
Developer

Michael - Yes, though my percentage of the hardcopy was microscopic, having it on store shelves acted as advertising, and drove the vast majority of web sales. As to whether we'll be talking to other publishers - probably. It would seem that most publishers would be glad to handle a product which had an unprecedented run in the stores.

We'll probably be doing some actual advertising for the first time. If anyone here has used Web-based ads, I'd like to hear about your experiences.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-12-2009, 03:21 AM   #110
Ad_Enuff
Registered

Originally posted by feldon32:
I would check out your internet cache/temporary files if you are getting old versions from the current download link.  
Thanks for the link, that appears to work, the problem I have is that my work laptop runs on an XP Global Desktop Build still using IE6 and of course has been tinkered with so much that the functionality is restricted for security reasons. Even on a Intel Core Duo 2 processor which this is, it performs like a dog.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, 3600.0 MHz, 16Gb DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 4Gb RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64Bit
Ad_Enuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #111
Andrew Jenkins
Registered

Advertising

Michael - Yes, though my percentage of the hardcopy was microscopic, having it on store shelves acted as advertising, and drove the vast majority of web sales. As to whether we'll be talking to other publishers - probably. It would seem that most publishers would be glad to handle a product which had an unprecedented run in the stores.

We'll probably be doing some actual advertising for the first time. If anyone here has used Web-based ads, I'd like to hear about your experiences.  
Jim

You mention web-based ads... I run a holiday rentals business of private cottages in Cornwall, UK. We have tried various forms of advertising over the years to promote the cottages & find customers. Without any question the most effective form of advertising we have ever undertaken has been pay-per click-advertising. We have found (with a bit of trial & error on the appropriate keywords) we can direct well targeted enquiries to our website. The net result is we get excellent take up and great value for our pound/buck. I can't speak highly enough of its effectiveness. I have also used pay per click sponsored links with a larger business I am involved with. Personally I wouldn't go else. Also very easy to switch on & off (not that you would need to switch off as your offer would seem infinitely scaleable!)

We have also used Banner Advertising. For me web searchs & sponsored links is the way to go with a certain Mr Google. I am sure you will not be disappointed. Ps I have no involvement or financial interest in the latter.
Andrew Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:19 PM   #112
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for the valuable info, Andrew.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-27-2009, 07:42 PM   #113
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Now it is about ready to release. Look at how much it has changed and all those bugs that have gotten worked out since Jim first asked this question a month and a half ago.

Quick! Get Encore on the phone. Once you show them this version, they'll be begging to get back on board.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:57 AM   #114
Yodelking
yodeler

1 Highscore

Is the "Update" function in the works? That would be the last bit to add before release, IMO. A little reminder once in a while to check for updates, especially now when changes will be often.
Yodelking - För god att kolsyra!
Yodelking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #115
coincoin
Registered

Originally posted by Yodelking:
Is the "Update" function in the works? That would be the last bit to add before release, IMO. A little reminder once in a while to check for updates, especially now when changes will be often.  
Hello,
I'm a daily visitor of this site, but not a talking one...
I personaly think that, along with the automatic updater that yodelking mentions, MA3 will be ready to release when there will be something really new for customers, like the moving clamps.
I remember that Jim said in december that 90% of the job necessary for implementing it was done, I believe that everyhting can come later if any John Doe can see, on the first run, at least a part of the animated seafloor.

There are 2 animated corals for now, it's a nice debut, but if you don't know that they are moving, you will not notice it.

So, after 9 years of fidelity, of waiting and of hope, I strongly believe that autoupdate et animated clamps are all that is necessary for MA3 for shipping. If it is only one or two weeks of works, please Jim, think about it !
coincoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:16 PM   #116
Jim Sachs
Developer

At the moment, I'm working on another important addition - something that MA2.6 had. After that, moving the clams is a top priority.

As far as an updater, it will have to be a manual one. I'm totally opposed to programs automatically going out on the Internet without the owner's knowlege.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-28-2009, 06:05 PM   #117
snorkler
Registered

As far as an updater, it will have to be a manual one. I'm totally opposed to programs automatically going out on the Internet without the owner's knowlege.  
Bravo!!
snorkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:25 AM   #118
Yodelking
yodeler

1 Highscore

Fine, but a friendly reminder once a month at the beginning that there might be a new version out would be great.
Yodelking - För god att kolsyra!
Yodelking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:59 AM   #119
Highlander
Registered

Fine, but a friendly reminder once a month at the beginning that there might be a new version out would be great.  
No remider for me , i check here every day
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups !
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:18 AM   #120
Rick Simon
Registered

3 Highscores

Personally, I'd like to see the installer offer an option for auto-update checks. If selected, then have the installer add an entry into the Windows Scheduled Tasks to run a small executable once every x number of days. That executable could be installed along with MA3 and would only need to query an update server for a newer version number. If a newer version is available, notify the user and offer a link to the new version. If not, simply close the executable without bothering the user.

This kind of setup offers the best of both worlds. An auto-update function that can be used by those who prefer it and the ability to disallow any such automated network connections to those who prefer that. Adding in a small blurb into the instructions/help/readme about how to add/remove an entry in scheduled tasks would also handle changing this configuration afterwards. While perhaps not the most elegant approach, it has the advantage of being relatively easy to implement.
Rick Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows