Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 12-11-2008, 10:52 AM   #61
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I think it's more a concern of 2 years from now, thousands of users will still have 3.0 (essentially the Beta) and there could conceivably be negative comments and press about how 3.0 is "unfinished" and never got any new features.

Most users (and journalists for that matter) cannot be bothered to do even the simplest research.

In my opinion, the Aquarium checking to see if there is an update is objected to by a small but vocal minority of forum users. The vast majority of Aquarium users have never signed up or posted on this forum.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #62
Dale
Banned

feldon32, you may remember this thread:

https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...sion#post78496

Of course, it's from 2006.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #63
feldon34
Forum Administrator

You know Dale, you can beat that horse all you want, but it really does not contribute much to this thread.

If you paid a little more attention to what Jim has said in the past, you'd understand his motivation for doing things and maybe present a little better arguments instead of just flogging your viewpoint over and over.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 12-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #64
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by feldon32:
You know Dale, you can beat that horse all you want, but it really does not contribute much to this thread.

If you paid a little more attention to what Jim has said in the past, you'd understand his motivation for doing things and maybe present a little better arguments instead of just flogging your viewpoint over and over.  
OK, point taken. I thought I had been paying attention to what Jim said (and asked), but perhaps I wasn't.

Sorry you find my postings repetitious. My basic point was that - if the capability is not built into the first "production" release (called Beta or whatever), then it won't be available when the next production release (update) is produced. You can't retroactively ADD a capability to a previous version.

I was attempting to agree with your comment that: "I think it's more a concern of 2 years from now, thousands of users will still have 3.0 (essentially the Beta) and there could conceivably be negative comments and press about how 3.0 is "unfinished" and never got any new features."

I will say nothing more about the "check for update" issue until (at least) MA3.1 is released. [Please feel free to remind me of this promise, if I forget]
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #65
WallyB
Registered

I want it today, it is so much better than 2.6. I have multi-monitors and its fun to watch the fish swim from one to the other. On this computer I have a large wide screen and a small 19" and it still works as well as the other computers that use the same size [twin] monitors.

I just want it on one disk as I hate looking for my first disk just to install the update or new version.
WallyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #66
chippy
Registered

Hi Guy's (and Girls)
Having read through this thread, I am of the opinon(FWIW) that Jim has the last say.After all, it is his living/income, and if he see's fit to put up with the "negative response", then,so be it.(I just do want him showing up at my front door, asking for "Peanut Butter". Although I would not turn him away)

Myself, I do not have a problem with the latest release, and I am in agreement with having a Update button, that is User Controlled. Much better then Auto update.
chippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:23 AM   #67
Jim Sachs
Developer

You guys do realize that there is a "Website" button, right? I guess I should just relabel the button "Check for Updates", but that might not fit on the button.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:33 AM   #68
Mith
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
You guys do realize that there is a "Website" button, right? I guess I should just relabel the button "Check for Updates", but that might not fit on the button.  

I hadn't noticed.... just checked... it's there! lol. No updates on the site though... I'm assuming that your "updates" is a future thing for MA"?".

Hey Jim, I noticed that my beta "i" hasn't expired yet... is it going to ?
Mith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:20 AM   #69
cjmaddy
Registered

Jim, I'm sure that you already know that, "You are not going to please all of the people all of the time". Nor apparently does repeating the same information seem to help. And even expecting people to read what it says here on the forum or on the screen, (or even SEE an update button), is probably asking too much!

This thread is now going around in circles. - I think the general consensus in the earlier posts was clear, (and hopefully helpful), so why not now do what your own judgment tells you might be the best... for you!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:30 AM   #70
rctneil
Registered

for the update button, why not just link to the webpage as follows:

www.serenescreen.com

and add a vesion variable on the end like so:

www.serenescreen.com?ver=3.1

then the site can just check the variable in the address, compare it to the latest version and tell the user if a new version is available or not

thanks

neil
rctneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:46 AM   #71
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Yes, relabel the button.

The program is bug free enough for a release, but it is not feature full enough. At a MINIMUM, it should have what 2.5 has. Working clock/calender, ability to import logos, adjustable background lighting, starfish able to go on glass, to name a few.

Then, adding new features, such as ability to feed fish, tap on glass, moving coral, etc... can come once a week/month.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:46 AM   #72
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Jim,

I would relabel the button at best. Most people I don't think will "care" about a website or wading through it to hunt and try to figure out if there is a later version. I really think it would work better if a check for updates button actually compares version numbers from what they have with your update server and if there is a later version pops up a message stating so and takes them to the exact DL location. That is if you won't let it DL automatically if there is a later version and they click the button.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:02 AM   #73
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I would have the Aquarium hit the website http://www.fish-byte.com/VERSION and compare the result with the internal version of the Aquarium. If it's different, then display the website http://www.fish-byte.com/FEATURES inside the Aquarium in a little panel.

Just my opinion of course.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #74
fozzy
Registered

Just my 2 cents...

is it ready for relase? no.
is it stable enough to be released? yes.

My opinions

It just needs to be a bit polished up to get that look of work in progress out of the menu and i think it should be made very clear that it is not the final version, and that updates are going to be available for no extra price, bla, bla, $marketing_catchphrase_of_choice.

Luca
testing on:
ATI Radeon mobility X2300 - Intel(R) 946GZ Express Chipset Family
fozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #75
rctneil
Registered

As I stated before just link to something like www.serenescreen.com/ma3/ver=$version_number

and then when on that page have the website check if the latest version and the version the user has (ie: the one in the url) is equal and if not then say that a newer version is available and display a direct download link and if they are the same then just say, "You already have the latest version".

Thsi would be the best way as users do not need to scramble around the site looking for a link as they will and DO get confused easily.

If you wish to take a look at a system like this being used then download the system clean up tool called ccleaner and click the "Check for updates" link at the bottom right hand side of the application and it will go to their website and tell you if you have the latest one or not.

Thanks

Regards,
Neil

Thanks

Regards,
Neil
Old 12-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #76
hololo
Registered

If has no any big bug, it's time to release
hololo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #77
Jim Sachs
Developer

OK, let me just clear up a misconception. The website which the "Website" button will take you to bears no similarity to the current SereneScreen website. I have been working on a total re-design for several weeks. The entire look and feel is radically different, and there are very clear buttons which will take you to the sections which explain all about MA3, the Beta process, updates, Key Codes, etc.

(Now, if I could just figure out how to animate the lionfish and bubbles, I could get on with it.)
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:49 PM   #78
Yodelking
yodeler

1 Highscore

Jim, I hope you consider the "Update button" to compare version (Like rctneil suggested), just pointing to a page where the updates are won't help all users. If you ask people which version of Windows they use, they don't know!

Maybe in these early betas you could make use of your "Beta has expired" and change it to 2-3 months, and make a one time pop up that "This version is old, do you wanna check for an updated version?".
This way atleast people will get a notify that this version isn't final...
Yodelking - För god att kolsyra!
Yodelking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 05:14 AM   #79
rctneil
Registered

If I installed MA3 when it's released on my Gran's PC, she would just run it as is for years. I don;t even think she would bother changing the fish and she would have a clue a new version would have been released. A notification every few weeks could just say something along the lines of "A new version of this aquarium may ahve been released, would you like to check to see if you ahve the latest version?"

If they click yes then it woulkd compare version numbers like I suggested in my last post and if they press no the the message would disappear and pop up about 2/3 weeks later.

Then as the versions progress, you could making the time between notifications longer and longer as features get added!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:42 AM   #80
cjmaddy
Registered

I agree, Neil, something like that, (or like others have suggested), would seem the obvious thing to do, but I think we're flogging another dead horse there.
.... The website which the "Website" button will take you to bears no similarity to the current SereneScreen website.  
I should hope not. - Prolific are still advertising that DVD !
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows