Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 11-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #21
cjmaddy
Registered

True! - I will probably always leave it there too!... But I also like that green coral, - and I think the left-hand end looks empty.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:01 PM   #22
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I should add that I have always had ideas about developing a Logo picker, loader, downloader for the Aquarium. I'll wait and see what MA3 does as far as interface for picking logos. The basic functionality of MA2.6 is --you just put the files in the Marine Aquarium folder and they appear in the Aquarium on a random/shuffle rotation.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #23
Jim Sachs
Developer

I just wish I could think of an easier way to implement logos. Designing one takes a fair amount of knowledge regarding masks, Alpha channels, file formats, etc. I'm just finishing up a SereneScreen logo which took even me about an hour, and I've been doing computer graphics for over 20 years.

I'm also experimenting with different looks. The logo I'm working on is full color, and is applied right over the face of the crystal, like a sign painted on. There's also the etched look, like most of the logos you guys have done. A third possibility is "embeded", with a color logo underneath the first layer of the crystal.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #24
rctneil
Registered

A place at the far left hand side of the tank would be great. Giving users a choice with all the settings is a massive plus in my book!
rctneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #25
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by feldon32:
I should add that I have always had ideas about developing a Logo picker, loader, downloader for the Aquarium. I'll wait and see what MA3 does as far as interface for picking logos. The basic functionality of MA2.6 is --you just put the files in the Marine Aquarium folder and they appear in the Aquarium on a random/shuffle rotation.  
And it's rather obvious that -- if the logo function in MA3 does not at least support that functionality, then somebody is going to have to write that part of the "upgrade" installation procedure.

And don't even consider having MA3 support two or more different ways of inserting logos - that's a nightmare to write, and hideous to support.

As a practical matter, you're probably stuck with that implementation.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #26
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Personally I'm in Morgan's camp on this one.

I haven't used the crystal that often, but ( and don't shoot me here ) I really don't like that finger coral that was there. I think allot of it has to do with that miserable green color. In this instance my preferences are to keep the crystal there regardless. Jim had originally said he might put it on the right, but I much prefer where it is now.

As for Logo's available, I am making a folder to contain all the decent looking logo's that I run across, and it will be on our server where anyone can get them. If there are any that anyone here would like to offer for that purpose let me know and I will add them to the selection.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:15 PM   #27
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I just wish I could think of an easier way to implement logos. Designing one takes a fair amount of knowledge regarding masks, Alpha channels, file formats, etc.  
I realize you do not like Photoshop or Photoshop Elements, but making a logo with them takes about 5 minutes.

With it, I can make etched, greyscale, or color logos with some or all of the logo transparent, translucent, etc.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 11-19-2008, 02:20 PM   #28
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, it's the same process in PaintShop Pro, but have you ever watched someone's eyes glaze over as you tried to explain the concept of an Alpha channel?
Jim Sachs
Old 11-19-2008, 02:26 PM   #29
Stew2000
Registered

Just got Beta7a. the new logo looks excellent on the crystal.

This is going to be the best screensaver ever made
Stew2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #30
Jim Sachs
Developer

For those who haven't downloaded it yet, here's what it looks like:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Logo.jpg (102.3 KB, 65 views)
Jim Sachs
Old 11-19-2008, 02:30 PM   #31
feldon34
Forum Administrator

In Photoshop, you don't do a separate Alpha channel. You just start with a 100% transparent layer and start painting on it. Then you export it as a 24-bit PNG with the Transparency checkbox toggled.

Awesome job on the logo by the way.
Attached Images
File Type: png MA3_Logo_Demo.png (77.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-19-2008, 02:33 PM   #32
Stew2000
Registered

That's the way I do it in Paint Shop Pro.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:34 PM   #33
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I believe Jim uses PaintShop Pro version 7, before they Photoshopified it.

Jim has tried the newest PaintShopPro and Photoshop. He was horrified with the interface.
Then again I tried an earlier PaintShop Pro and was equally horrified.

We just think differently I guess.

I do wish there was an easier, more user-friendly way to make logos, but people are going to get logos from all over the place, in various formats, most of them WITHOUT transparency. They will look awful when put on the crystal. I really don't have a problem with users having to take an extra step to get something on the crystal.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #34
Stew2000
Registered

I evolved from psp7 to psp8 to pspX.
I think one of my first was Corel Draw. XD
Old 11-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #35
Jim Sachs
Developer

I use PSP 10.

Morgan - did you extract that logo PNG from the executable, or build it yourself?
Jim Sachs
Old 11-19-2008, 02:41 PM   #36
Stew2000
Registered

I've just remembered PSP is now owned by Corel. I've gone back in time
I wonder if we'll get back Windows 3.1
Old 11-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #37
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I use PSP 10.

Morgan - did you extract that logo PNG from the executable, or build it yourself?  
From the SCR.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #38
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

it works ok for me with one caveat, for awhile there in windowed mode my title bar would not disappear, it just greyed out and that was it. I can't reproduce it yet, so I am putting this one down to some strange occurrence for now.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #39
fozzy
Registered

well, that was faster than expected
The crystal looks really good...
fozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 08:50 PM   #40
jroseone
Registered

Originally posted by Jav400:
Personally I'm in Morgan's camp on this one.

I haven't used the crystal that often, but ( and don't shoot me here ) I really don't like that finger coral that was there. I think allot of it has to do with that miserable green color. In this instance my preferences are to keep the crystal there regardless. Jim had originally said he might put it on the right, but I much prefer where it is now.

As for Logo's available, I am making a folder to contain all the decent looking logo's that I run across, and it will be on our server where anyone can get them. If there are any that anyone here would like to offer for that purpose let me know and I will add them to the selection.  
I made some NY sports logos here: https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...ead.php?t=4574, feel free to use them, if the format is the same for MA3.
jroseone is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows