Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 10-18-2008, 02:50 AM   #1
clifdene
Registered

Names of the Corals?

It would be good to have names for the corals etc. as well as the fish.
clifdene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:21 PM   #2
simico
Registered

Originally posted by clifdene:
It would be good to have names for the corals etc. as well as the fish.  
http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...oral-names.jpg

I know most of them, it's easiest if I just write the latin and common names on a jpeg to save confusion. Corals are often very simlar, and microscopy would be used to identify individual members of species. Interestingly most of the corals are in the Large Polyped Stoney coral (LPS) group, with some anenomes too, but very few small polyp corals (SPS). Aggressive stinging and wandering anenones would cause some rapid losses in this tank, starting with neighbouring corals. Many of the invertebrates in this tank have very aggressive defensive stings! Also interesting is the starfish wanders around while motile corals such as the Fungia are fixed. I would say that the Zoathids are indeed Zoas not Palys, although their scale would suggest otherwise in the digital image. I think this is a scale issue and they are in fact zoas that just appear unnaturally large. I have left the Sarkofytun (leather coral) at the top of the bubble column unlabeled as it could, just maybe, be a more desirable Turbinaria (Vase coral). Also, the small LPS cluster could be a type of Caulastrea (Candy Coral) or maybe a Nemenzophyllia (Fox Coral). Left of that, (behind the clams) is possibly a Devils finger soft coral. The LPS hard coral (centre bottom) looks like some kind of Open brain, but not one I can ID with a latin name or be 100% sure of... The purple shading on the far left most rock in the tank is corraline algae, which you would expect to have spread widely throughout a mature tank...

...Hopefully that answers the question... Si
simico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
G600
Registered

Can you identify the white coral to the right of Actinodiscus cardinalis?
It's the only (big) coral you didn't mention.
G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Simico,
What would the correct scale be for the Zoanthus?
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #5
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #6
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Simico -- A BIG THANK YOU!!

Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes.

Surferminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:03 AM   #7
clifdene
Registered

Very many thanks for your excellent explanation etc. You are obviously an expert on marine life. It is very much appreciated.
clifdene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
simico
Registered

Originally posted by G600:
Can you identify the white coral to the right of Actinodiscus cardinalis?
It's the only (big) coral you didn't mention.  
I missed that one out, as to my eye it is dead (!). It was very common to fill tanks with bleached corals in the 80's, but as people figured out how to keep corals alive in closed systems, the fashion understandably completely reversed. Maybe it is a homage to the early tanks, which would be a nice touch by Jim. Incidently, the bubble coral was one of the first sucessfully kept living corals, so it's inclusion is another nice choice.

If I had to (very much) guess from the shape of the skeleton, I could suggest that in life it was something like a Hydnophora Rigida. If alive, this would be a flouresent green due to the symbiotic zooxanthellae. There aren't many white corals, as the corals use various coloured pigments to protect their tissue from UV radiation, although there are some. I would say this was definitely an SPS coral and possibly in life a Hydnophora Rigida (common name Horn Coral).
Old 10-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #9
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

You sure know a lot about corals!! If you don't mind, what's the Latin and common names for the bubble coral you referred to above as one of the first successfully kept living corals? And the two iridescent colored ones (one just above the bubble coral and the other one sitting on the gravel below and to the left of the brain coral).

Old 10-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
simico
Registered

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle:
Simico,
What would the correct scale be for the Zoanthus?  
As zoas, I would think they could be reduced to nearly half their current size. If they are Palythoa (Palys) I would say you could possibly get away with the current scale. Personally, I would suggest they are zoas as they reflect very closely a colour morph and appearence I am familiar with in zoas. If the centers had been the same green of the Hammer coral next to it, I would have swung toward Palys. However, the central bump (Mouth) at thier centre makes me think again they are indeed oversized zoas, although I think some Palys may also have these central bumps... but in those I have seen, more often than not, the bump is absent.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:29 PM   #11
simico
Registered

Originally posted by Surferminn:
You sure know a lot about corals!! If you don't mind, what's the Latin and common names for the bubble coral you referred to above as one of the first successfully kept living corals? And the two iridescent colored ones (one just above the bubble coral and the other one sitting on the gravel below and to the left of the brain coral).  
The latin name is Plerogyra, the common name is Bubble coral.

...sorry, I don't see any other corals above the bubble, unless you mean the Elkhorn.

I think the one on the gravel is maybe a type of Open Brain LPS, but not 100% sure...
Old 10-29-2008, 02:48 PM   #12
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

I'm sorry, my mistake, I see you do have a Bubble coral cited. I meant the coral or maybe they're just shells that the stream of air bubbles are arising out of...

Old 10-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
simico
Registered

Originally posted by Surferminn:
I'm sorry, my mistake, I see you do have a Bubble coral cited. I meant the coral or maybe they're just shells that the stream of air bubbles are arising out of...  
No worries! The shells are barnacle clusters. They are dead but are used commonly to provide a natural shelter for small fish and for a site for fish to lay their eggs.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #14
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Thanks. It's good to learn about these corals and shells, dead and alive. What's the iridescent one to the left of the Zoas and also the green one above the Maxima clams?

Old 10-31-2008, 08:59 AM   #15
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Great graphic simico! That's a keeper. Do you have a higher quality version?
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:33 AM   #16
henemly
asdf

What is this neat thing called? (didn't see it identified above)
New03.jpg
(NOW I know...lol)
http://www.coltrain.byethost8.com

Last edited by henemly; 11-01-2008 at 06:26 PM.
henemly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:25 AM   #17
pvernam
wobbegong

Originally posted by henemly:
What is this neat thing called? (didn't see it identified above)  
simico mentioned it in his original post (#2) but couldn't identify it precisely: "The LPS hard coral (centre bottom) looks like some kind of Open brain, but not one I can ID with a latin name or be 100% sure of..."
pvernam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #18
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, it's an Open Brain coral.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #19
simico
Registered

Originally posted by patscarr:
Great graphic simico! That's a keeper. Do you have a higher quality version?  
I have re-done a higher res version, but I think it gets re-sized when it is uploaded. (?) But anyway...

...here you go!

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...pdatedcopy.jpg

There are certainly some possible alternatives as discussed above, but for ease, I have put (what are IMO) the most likely choices on this version.

I read that Jim will be animating some of these. This will really add realism to the corals, as their soft tissues currently appear "frozen".

In the case of the Quadricolour, (AKA Rose bubble tip/ Bulb Anemone), it is true that anemones wander/walk around tanks too, but once established, and once they have found a good location, plant their foot deep into a rock crevice, and then generally stay put in the same place. So just an animation of the tentles is enough!

An easier animation, (as the clownfish won't need to interact with it), would be the Hammer coral. At the moment the polyps are retracted, but once the polyps are out they can sway about much the same way as an anemone and again this would dramatically improve the realism.

The Clams, Zoas, Bubble coral, and the motile corals are also good candidates, but only if resources allow...(!)

I have to say the best thing about this tank is the way you can have so many corals in one place, without worring about normal compatibility issues and placement, or the HUGE cost if this existed! Frankly, if I hadn't named them all, I wouldn't have appricieated just how many corals Jim had put in there... An amazing piece of work!
Old 11-03-2008, 08:06 AM   #20
Surferminn
Senior Puddle Jumper

74 Highscores

Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows