Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 05-01-2014, 07:50 AM   #21
philosopher
Registered

System Restore

Everyone, I think this might have something to do with Window's System Restore feature. I had originally noticed that I had to re-enter my key-code whenever Window's Patch Tuesday's occurred and I installed updates. But yesterday my key-code was lost again and I hadn't installed any updates.

I did, however, install some new software (SQL Server 2014) and that install, as many do, first triggered a System Restore Point. Updates typically also trigger a System Restore Point.

To test I manually created a System Restore Point but afterwards my key-code was still there. So I'm still searching for what exactly triggers the loss of the key-code.

So, for now, the System Restore Point is at the top of my suspect list, but what about it might be part of the cause is still an unknown.
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo
"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche
philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:49 AM   #22
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for all the effort.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #23
Socrates
Sage

It's not so much having to re-enter the keycoade. That's annoying enough. It's having to re-create the fish list...

Might try exporting all those kys into a single .reg file and see if a one click import will be enough to save some time.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #24
Jim Sachs
Developer

Edgar at Prolific is pretty sure this is a result of not installing MA3 as an Administrator. Without that, the Key Code can get overwritten with each system update or restore.
Jim Sachs
Old 05-16-2014, 07:01 AM   #25
philosopher
Registered

Install as Administrator

Jim,

Thanks!

This certainly sounds like it could be the culprit. I have no idea if I ran my original installation as administrator or not.

Just a few days ago I installed a round of updates and lost the key-code again. So unfortunately I missed the window to test this.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled running the install .exe as administrator. I made certain by running a command prompt as admin and then running the .exe from that command prompt.

I'll wait for the next round or two of updates and report back here whether or not my key-code resets again.

This will probably take a couple of months to be certain.
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo
Nietzsche
Old 06-11-2014, 06:09 AM   #26
philosopher
Registered

Originally posted by philosopher:
I'll wait for the next round or two of updates and report back here whether or not my key-code resets again.

This will probably take a couple of months to be certain.  

Jim,

The first patch Tuesday since I re-installed has come and gone there were many updates installed and, so far so good, my key-code held!

I'll report again next month.
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo
Nietzsche
Old 06-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #27
audio.bill
Registered

Originally posted by philosopher:
Jim,

The first patch Tuesday since I re-installed has come and gone there were many updates installed and, so far so good, my key-code held!

I'll report again next month.  
Same situation here. I did a fresh install of MA v3.3 as administrator about a week ago, and for the first time after applying a set of Microsoft updates I am not being prompted to re-enter my product key.
audio.bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #28
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks, guys - glad to hear it.
Jim Sachs
Old 06-16-2014, 06:18 AM   #29
audio.bill
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Thanks, guys - glad to hear it.  
This morning I was prompted to enter my key code again. While in the past I could easily cut and paste the key code, now it won't allow that so I have to manually type in the key to re-enter it. I can't figure out why this is the ONLY software I have that has this issue, and it's quite frustrating being a paid customer. I also run Windows 8.1 if that matters.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:07 PM   #30
Jim Sachs
Developer

There is nothing in my code which would effect the Windows cut-and-paste functions. There must be something deeper going on.
Jim Sachs
Old 06-16-2014, 08:31 PM   #31
audio.bill
Registered

There is nothing in my code which would effect the Windows cut-and-paste functions. There must be something deeper going on.  
Jim, I understand that the problem may not be in your code, but rather in the registry entry code that you previously contacted Prolific about. No other software that I have requires key codes to be periodically re-entered so there has to be a problem with the registry entry code that you apparently have provided by Prolific. I would respectfully suggest that you contact them again with an explanation of this latest behavior to see what they can come up with, since the problem is not what they previously suggested about the software having to be installed as the system administrator. Thanks for your ongoing support in an effort to resolve this issue, it is appreciated. You have a great product that I enjoy owning, but this one issue is a point of frustration for your users.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #32
audio.bill
Registered

Jim, you were absolutely correct with your statement above. I found and resolved the problem I was having of not being able to cut and paste my product key code. I use Webroot security software and its identity protection had MA in its list of protected applications. After setting it to 'Allow' I am now able to paste my key code again. Still can't figure out why I keep having to re-enter the code, but at least I can easily paste it now when necessary.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:00 PM   #33
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for getting back to us with that info.
Jim Sachs
Old 06-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #34
Socrates
Sage

Edgar at Prolific is pretty sure this is a result of not installing MA3 as an Administrator. Without that, the Key Code can get overwritten with each system update or restore.  
This makes sense. I will try it.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #35
audio.bill
Registered

Originally posted by Socrates:
This makes sense. I will try it.  
It's probably worth trying on your system, but I have already uninstalled and re-installed MA3.3 as administrator and still have the same problem of having to re-enter the key code. Another user I know has done the same with the same outcome, and we're both running Windows 8.1. Please let us know your results.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #36
EricW
Registered

Recurrence

Perhaps this will help isolate the cause:
Over the past few weeks, after reading this thread, re-installing MA3 as administrator (on Win8.1, 64-bit) (by right-clicking the MA3.exe file, selecting 'Run as administrator' - is that the accepted procedure?), disabling 'System restore' for all drives, the annoying problem with having to re-enter the code did not occur for some weeks, even after monthly Microsoft updates.

This morning I powered up the PC, started MA3 and got the re-enter the code message again; the only relevant cause I can think of is that yesterday I did some experiments with the MA3 sound/music settings (added a sound track, turned the bubble sound on/off, then turned off the music; now just running sound independently from a player in the background). Therefore, this error happened after the first system reboot after making those changes.
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:06 PM   #37
audio.bill
Registered

EricW, thanks for providing your input! I installed MA3 the same way that you described and still have to re-enter the key code periodically. I wouldn't want to disable System Restore as you did though, since I've had to use it in the past to recover from certain troublesome situations.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:38 PM   #38
EricW
Registered

AudioBill: I have no problem with disabling System Restore because I - religiously - back up my entire system physical drive (all partitions) to an external hard drive. That has "saved me" on numerous enough occasions.

Hope an answer to this problem will be forthcoming soon; it has not happened here since I posted that last message.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:27 AM   #39
EricW
Registered

I give up... yesterday MA3 was working fine; this morning was prompted to enter the code again, without any changes specific to MA3 having been made in the last few days, nor any other (manually instigated) software updates. The only software that auto-updates on this machine is Norton Internet Security 2014. (I have Windows Update and also Java disabled from auto-updating - so that I can make an OS backup before the updates.) The restore points are still disabled on all drives. Win8.1 64-bit.
Old 07-26-2014, 06:42 AM   #40
audio.bill
Registered

Eric, I'm just as frustrated about this as you! There doesn't seem to be any specific behavior on my part that causes this problem, and MA is the only software on my PC that requires me to continually re-enter the product key code. Very aggravating for software that I have purchased; I could understand if it was a free giveaway.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows