Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #41
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Awesome! Can't wait to start beta testing!
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:37 AM   #42
hillover
Registered

Perhaps you've already taken care of this, Jim.

Otherwise, I suggest that a good backup and recovery strategy should come before work on additions to MA3.
hillover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #43
Jim Sachs
Developer

Recovering the programs wasn't the real problem - it was installing them on a new machine. When you buy programs from private parties on eBay (the only way I can afford something like Lightwave or Visual Studio or Dreamweaver), you download them and really only have one shot at a license. If your hard drive fails and you have to install the program on a different machine, the company shows you as being over your license limit.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #44
hillover
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Recovering the programs wasn't the real problem - it was installing them on a new machine. When you buy programs from private parties on eBay (the only way I can afford something like Lightwave or Visual Studio or Dreamweaver), you download them and really only have one shot at a license. If your hard drive fails and you have to install the program on a different machine, the company shows you as being over your license limit.  
There are several backup and recovery solutions available, that do not require re-"installation". The solutions that will "restore" a new disk drive to the same contents as a failed drive usually work seamlessly. Those that will completely restore the contents of a failed PC to an entirely new PC often work OK, depending on the licensing schema - and if they require a new license, the vendor will almost always respond positively to a phone call describing the situation.

Don't I recall that this situation has caused you great grief and much work and delay several times in the past? (Sorry if this is a sore subject). I'm just suggesting that you might consider investing now, in something that might prevent that cost in the future.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #45
harris
Registered

Great news, Jim.

It will be nice to have some new options/features again, but please don't wear yourself down like you did in the past by pulling all-nighters.

Also, looking forward to spending some money for a creature pack or two if you decide to continue that development path too.
harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #46
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

So what time tomorrow will you have all this ready?

Bet, you didn't miss that part huh?
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #47
Jim Sachs
Developer

hillover - I actually did buy and use one of the PC Clone programs, but all my major software always detected that they were now installed on a different hard drive, and required re-registration. The manufacturers were not the least bit sympathetic, since I did not buy the software from them at retail. In fact, they were downright nasty about it. (Especially Adobe - I never did get Dreamweaver running again.)

We're talking about a lot of money to buy new versions of these programs. Just the latest Lightwave UPGRADE is $750.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-29-2013, 02:40 PM   #48
hillover
Registered

hillover - I actually did buy and use one of the PC Clone programs, but all my major software always detected that they were now installed on a different hard drive, and required re-registration. The manufacturers were not the least bit sympathetic, since I did not buy the software from them at retail. In fact, they were downright nasty about it. (Especially Adobe - I never did get Dreamweaver running again.)

We're talking about a lot of money to buy new versions of these programs. Just the latest Lightwave UPGRADE is $750.  
OK, looks like you've studied the situation, and decided that 6 months to "recover" is the right tradeoff. Your call, of course. Sorry I re-opened the question.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:19 PM   #49
Jim Sachs
Developer

I'm sure that there's an insult in there somewhere, but I'm too busy to deal with it right now.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-29-2013, 08:40 PM   #50
hillover
Registered

I'm sure that there's an insult in there somewhere, but I'm too busy to deal with it right now.  
Sorry - no insult was intended. I apologize that it looked that way. And again apologize for opening what is clearly a settled issue, thus wasting everyone's time.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:57 AM   #51
andym107
Registered

Hi, sure you're fed up with being asked, but are there any plans for a major new release of Serenescreen? Not that 3 isn't great, of course!
andym107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #52
Jim Sachs
Developer

A lot of people haven't even downloaded v3.3 yet!
Jim Sachs
Old 10-09-2015, 09:21 PM   #53
pcunite
Registered

Well, serenescreen still mentions the latest version as 3.2.
pcunite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 12:15 AM   #54
Jim Sachs
Developer

Prolific is hard at work on the new Android version.
Jim Sachs
Old 10-10-2015, 07:35 PM   #55
hillover
Registered

Just out of curiosity - how is that statistic measured/monitored?
Old 10-10-2015, 09:52 PM   #56
Jim Sachs
Developer

Measured by the small number of downloads compared to the billion-or-so copies of earlier versions out there.
Jim Sachs
Old 11-22-2015, 10:16 PM   #57
Bectile
Registered

I downloaded mine today! I am doing a fresh install on a new laptop and went looking for the latest version, and there it was! It looks as beautiful as it ever did.
Bectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:10 PM   #58
Jim Sachs
Developer

Glad to hear it!
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows