Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 05:32 AM   #21
Wizwad
Only me...

Summer in the UK is where all the people who normally say "It's too cold, and too wet!" suddenly say "It's too hot and too bright!" until it goes away, and then they finish by saying "We never had a summer this year, what's the world coming to!"

Down South summer happened this year in May. There were two weeks of lovely sun and warmth. I expect the rest of it to arrive in September, but we'll see.

Oh, and Flipper - good work! I could tell that the background set was a model, but it really adds a wonderful felling of depth to MA as we know it. I'll look forward to seeing the top surface reflections should it reach a releasable level.
Mark
-----------
Intel i7 12700K | Aorus Z690 Pro | Corsair DDR5 5600 32GB | Asus Dual RTX3060ti 6GB v2 Mini OC | Corsair RM850 Gold PSU | 1TB NVMe M.2 WD Black SN850 | 4TB Seagate BarraCuda HDD | Corsair Airflow 5000D Case | HP 32QHD 4K Monitor | Windows 11 x64 Professional
Wizwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #22
flipper
Registered

Summers here are long and hot by rule, although we've yet to hit 100+ for weeks in a row like last year.

Back to the thread's topic, here's a little proof-of-concept that replaces the MA3 background with a skydome and nothing more. You can check that the skydome is indeed a model by using MA3's wireframe mode (the w key.) Just unzip to the directory of your choice and run MA3Ex. You might want to put MA3 in windowed mode beforehand, just in case something goes wrong.

Mr. Sachs, I'm not quite sure what to make of your "piggybacking" comment. It reads as a backhanded insult. So for now I'm stopping work on this until I read otherwise. All I wish to do is to freely - with no strings attached - share some of the fun I've been having modding MA3, with other fans of the app.

And patscarr, you as well, owe me an apology. Whether you believed me or not, that opinion is not something you voice to another without at least the slightest bit of proof. I've been on and off these forums for over a decade now, and I've never been anything but kind and willing to help out. So please at least show me some respect for that.

And, as always, thanks to those posting words of encouragement. I hope I'll be allowed to continue work on this.
Attached Files
File Type: zip MA3Ex.zip (202.4 KB, 58 views)
flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #23
feldon34
Forum Administrator

flipper,

Sorry to say but Jim is always going to react that way to anything that builds on the Aquarium. Even though the Aquarium will probably never reach the heights dreamed of 12 years ago when we started this journey. Jim doesn't want people adding to it (or advice or help).

To create anything that has anything to do with Jim's Aquarium requires a thick skin and the acceptance that the community may turn against you.

Seven years ago I created a pretty cool add-on for the Aquarium, but to date have never released it. It just didn't seem to be worth the grief and anguish.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #24
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Thanks flipper.. tried your program and for what it is worth.. my system / video card does not have the muscle to run it. All movement in front of the background smears leaving the trails of any fish or movement of the corral. Fish swimming in front show / swim normal.

My video card ATI All-in-Wonder 9600
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #25
jleslie
Engineer

Runs okay for me, but my new system is quite chunky (i3770K+o/c'd670). Don't get any angled view or the water surface visible, just sky in the background.
Any chance of seeing the angled one?
Cheers
John
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #26
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

I couldn't possibly resist checking this out. I really do think adding a background like this is a great idea. It runs fine on my laptop (Phenom II triple core N850 with 4250HD graphics). I'll check it out on my more modest roaming laptop later. Using a file format that the average person can't make for themselves allows for creative control of what can be used (i.e. a selection that fit Jim's artistic vision could be included with the program. I'd be willing to pay for a feature like this).
Run you clever boy. And remember...
Nicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #27
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Sorry Flipper, I didn't mean to offend, I was just stating my opinion. I don't have facts to back it up, but I too have over 10 years experience on this forum, reading and learning about Jim's Marine Aquarium. If Jim says, at that angle, "it's almost impossible ... that holes won't show up when the camera is moving," then I tend to believe him. But if you're saying you've spent the time and effort fixing that in your "angled" app, then I'm sure we'd all love to see it. You're "skydome" version runs well on my machine (Acer Aspire 7551 Laptop, Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 64-bit, AMD Phenom II N970 Quad-Core Processor 2.2 GHz, 4 GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series 252 MB, DirectX 11) and looks great. It's just that, that picture you posted is just so cool looking and crystal clear and angled! We've been hearing for years how even the slightest angle is impossible. If you've really accomplished it, then my hats off to you.

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
you have such a high level of skills that you should be writing and marketing your own programs  
That sounds like a compliment to me.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #28
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

Oh Pat you bugger, you would just have to out cool me on the Phenom II processor, lol.

My laptop is super fast. Yours must be almost telepathic.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #29
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Patrick
Old 07-20-2012, 12:47 AM   #30
Jim Sachs
Developer

Sure sounds like a compliment to me, too. I can't even imagine what it would take to make major modifications to someone else's program without access to the source code.
Though I'm curious to see your test program run, it may be some time before I have access to a computer (I'm typing this with one finger on my iPhone). My stepdad has died, so I had to rush down here to Los Angeles to make funeral arrangements and a thousand other things.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 02:37 AM   #31
cjmaddy
Registered

Sorry, but on my dual-screen set-up the results are something of a disaster, - similar to those described by Ralph on one screen, - and on the second screen there is a sunset background.
(AMD Athlon II X4 630 / 4096MB / nVidia GTX460 (Driver 8.17.13.142 ) / Dx 11 / Win7pro64 / Dual VP920 ViewSonic Monitors)

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, Jim.... I think this background topic might be best left for some other time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test2.jpg (497.0 KB, 68 views)
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #32
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Cliff.

Regarding all the screen glitches in Flipper's program, these are to be expected in early stages of testing. The 'trails' are simply the result of not refreshing the background on that screen. He says he had not trsted it on anything except a single 4:3 monitor, so it's a pretty sure bet that it won't work on any other configuration until he addresses each one.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #33
Nicki
Sugar Plum Fairy

Report on my modest XP laptop. I got 20 fps, 30 if I turned off the bubble stream. I'd say this is acceptable performance for a 6 year old computer. Nothing odd in the background.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #34
flipper
Registered

feldon34, sorry to hear things didn't work out for you. I know that others have tried in the past as well and have run into the same sorts of problems. I do have a thick skin when being flamed for app related issues, just not when things get personal.

Ralph, sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I'm 99% sure it's not your setup but instead, how the new background drawing occurs. I had to move the drawing from where it should occur because that didn't work for me. So it's quite possible that where I moved it to doesn't work for you.

jleslie, all you were supposed to get with that version is the sky, so it sounds like it worked okay for you.

Nicki, I agree with all you posted. I know it would be some work for others, possibly trusted members of this forum, but I think this could definitely generate some new interest in MA3 if done right. And thanks for testing on the "old" pc. I test on a 10 year old XP desktop here, but it unfortunately has a fairly new graphics card.

patscarr, thanks for explaining your "photoshoping" post. I guess I won't get to the point of showing you that limited panning of the camera is definitely possible and doesn't break the illusion of the "hollywood set", as I've decided to leave the camera alone and just concentrate on enhancing the background.

Mr. Sachs, I'm sorry for your loss. But thank you for taking the time to explain things further anyway. And for noting my limited testing. I hope you don't consider it in bad taste if I continue posting new versions here, however. I'm afraid my free time for this project is limited, and I'd like to get as much done as possible before I have to take a break from it.

cjmaddy, thanks for the ss. The problems you had are definitely my fault. I wrote the test version from scratch and didn't consider multi-monitor setups. I made attempts to correct this with the new version but I still wasn't able to test it before-hand, so hold your nose before you start it up.

Now to the new version. I've added in the fish tank cover, side and back framing and glass, animated the sky background a bit, made a start at fixing a "splash isn't displaying" bug, and attempted to correct for multi-monitor use, but nothing else. If all goes well, it should look similar to the screenshot attached. The translucent glass will probably kill old/slow displays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MA3ExSS1.jpg (157.1 KB, 77 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip MA3Ex2.zip (274.1 KB, 62 views)
flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #35
dxfish
Registered

go for it , I'd be happy to see some progress in a great program
dxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #36
drfish
the Doc

I haven't tested it but the screenshot is strangely appealing despite not being incredibly realistic. I'm impressed, keep up the good work.
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #37
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Works good here. So, you're just changing the background? Can we have the doctor's office with the water surface top?
Patrick
Old 07-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #38
jleslie
Engineer

Can't download it, the gateway says "The item you have requested is infected by a virus. It will not be downloaded - TR/Hijacker.Gen".
:-(
I suspect a false positive.
John
jleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:23 AM   #39
cjmaddy
Registered

This version doesn't work at all for me. It just reverts back to the desktop.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:53 AM   #40
phil
Registered

Originally posted by patscarr:
Works good here. So, you're just changing the background? Can we have the doctor's office with the water surface top?  
i agree with patcarr, i would like to have the doctors office as well
phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows