Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 12-01-2016, 10:29 AM   #141
Jim Sachs
Developer

It did.

The head of Roku, Anthony Wood, is an old friend of mine from the Amiga days. About a year ago he asked if he could use MA as the Roku screensaver. It took some doing for his guys to translate it to Linux, but they finally got it working, at least on their high-end machines. As part of the deal, I owe them 160 hours per year of work to maintain and improve it. The best scenario would be to completely rewrite it in Unity. That way, we'd double the performance on their machines, so that it might run on their lower-end units. Unity would also allow for a lot of things I've always wanted to do, like fish schooling, solid collision avoidance, and interaction with background objects. If my family situation ever gets resolved, this might happen.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #142
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Jim,

Just so you have a reference.......................

The android version is now working again for me.

There is a problem with the starfish and Harvey, neither one are there

The settings are checked for each but they do not show up, even in wire-frame mode. So they are not there period. This has been posted on the phone reviews by others, so I am assuming it is a known problem at this point and is being worked on.

The new interface looks good to me overall. The choices work well except for maybe the slider for choosing how many of each fish, it is sort of a hit an miss type scenario for getting the number of fish you want, but that's minor.

The description on the eel needs some work tho. They list the size as "< 4.5 inches ", while that's true its also kind of like describing an 18 wheeler as a little bit larger than a car. Average length for the species is ~ 20-24 inches and they can reach 5 feet in length.

I'll look through other items as I get a chance.

Nice to see it working again.
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #143
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks Michael. We can't figure out why some people see the eel and starfish and some don't. This is just one of a thousand non-reproducible problems that have slowed the production of the Android version for a year.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-06-2016, 02:58 PM   #144
Cyrust
Registered

9 Highscores

Finally working on my LG Nexus 5, minus Harvey and the Starfish. Harvey and the Starfish, that sounds like a musical group. At least it's working and looks great.
Cyrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:01 AM   #145
Jim Sachs
Developer

Still don't have a clue why some people don't see the eel and starfish.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-07-2016, 05:03 AM   #146
Time Crystal Pilot
Registered

Reports (demo version)

Starfish and eel sliders default to "1", don't lock to "0" (they slide back to "1"). So it looks like they're supposed to be "always on", but in fact, they are always off (no eel or starfish visible).
Vertical camera positioning is gone :-(
There's a small hole in the geometry at the top of the cave (horizontal, mostly white line).
When fish are set "all none", further holes can be seen at the far left of the tank.
Caustics do not seem to affect the fish, but at least they no longer look like a cheap fake now.
Fish swimming through objects still seems to be a problem (especially in the area above the cave entrance.)
Orientation flip in wallpaper mode may be unintentional (but I like it!)
Many thanks for bringing this back for Android version 5!
Time Crystal Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:05 AM   #147
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Still don't have a clue why some people don't see the eel and starfish.  
Couldn't we do some kind of test/experiment here on the forum to help try and figure this out.

Record makes and models of phone and other installed apps. Most of the time I've heard that problems usually arise from incompatible apps running on the same phone.
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #148
Edgar
Prolific/SereneScreen Developer

1 Highscore

For those people that do not see the eel and starfish:

Are you using PRO or Free version?
Did you update from previous version or install from scratch?
Edgar Tolentino
Prolific Developer

www.prolific.com
www.LifeGlobe.com
Edgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 12:59 PM   #149
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Edgar,

Mine is the pro version and it updated.

Phone is a Galaxy S4 running 5.0.1
Old 12-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #150
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

I D/L the app (very hard to find) a couple of days ago. Installed on my Galaxy Tab2 and it runs just fine. I am confused though.. When I start it I have an option to buy or use the free version.. BUT.. it seems ALL the fish including Harvey and the starfish show up on "my" free version.
Seems I read in a recent post that those that have paid versions on their PC's get the paid version as well ?? is this why I get ALL the fish??
And.. how does one get to the "settings"? I have a Logitech KB attached to my tablet but the only key that does anything is the escape key which then asks if I want to exit.

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 – 1951)
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:20 PM   #151
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Ralph,

I have no idea if this is the case, but it could be that you cant get to the settings unless it is a paid version.

As far as how, press on the screen with your finger.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #152
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

Just.. figured t out. Seems that when the keyboard is attached (Bluetooth) touching the sceen does nothing.. except you can pinch to zoom in.
With the key board not attached touching the screen brings up the settings... BUT.. the first time I did that I could not.. get out of wireframe....... Had to power Tablet down. I could not repeat that though.. next time it worked as one would expect

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 – 1951)
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 06:36 PM   #153
Jim Sachs
Developer

Ha ha - thanks, Ralph. I'm not sure anyone ever thought about what would happen if you attached a keyboard.
Jim Sachs
Old 12-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #154
Time Crystal Pilot
Registered

My report above was about the Prolific trial version, updated from Acrodea's trial version.
Today I uninstalled the trial version, then installed the paid version.
Both the starfish and eel showed up without further ado. Both switches are functional in the paid version.
I then uninstalled the paid version again and re-installed the trial version. Now both the starfish and eel are visible in the trial version, both switches functional. In fact, now I don't see a difference between the trial and the paid version, except that the paid version requested full network access for some reason.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:58 AM   #155
Time Crystal Pilot
Registered

Zooming trouble

Currently, a pinch gesture zooms in on the center of the screen. That's unfortunate. There's a lot of empty space at the top of the screen, while the carefully designed scenery got its feet cut away.
Also, if I remember correctly, the Acrodea version did not cut away the left and right margins of the tank when zoomed in.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:20 PM   #156
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks - that confirms what Michael had found. As far as the trial version goes, I think once it's paid, the trial version acts like the Pro version. I'm not sure about that, as I didn't write these versions.
Jim Sachs
Old 06-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #157
321liftoff
Registered

Android TV Version?

In the past couple years, Nvidia Shield TV has become a popular console device for the TV. It runs Android TV and has a screensaver function. I see this more relevant than mobile devices, as battery power isn't a concern and the Nvidia Shield supports 4k resolutions.

Any chance Prolific could be convinced to develop a version for Android TV? I'd be willing to pay $15 for that version alone.
321liftoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 05:03 AM   #158
IanD
Registered

After delighting in the paid Windows version years ago, I recently tried to install MA 3.3 on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1" tablet with Android 10 from the Google Play store.

Whilst the Android app installed, running it just produced a black screen for a short while and then returned to the desktop with an error message about the application continually stopping. I have been unable to get it to work, which is quite disappointing.

Any suggestions on what might be going wrong and how to get it running, as I really would like this app on my tablet?
IanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:35 PM   #159
Jim Sachs
Developer

I wasn't aware of any problems with running the Android version on any Samsung devices. Works great on my Galaxy 6.
Jim Sachs
Old 10-27-2020, 05:20 AM   #160
IanD
Registered

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
I wasn't aware of any problems with running the Android version on any Samsung devices. Works great on my Galaxy 6.  
Perhaps you can clear up my confusion: does MA under Android run as an app that displays on the screen or only as a screensaver that must be called by the display management software and should not be executed directly?

I have tried running it both ways, but without success. However tablet setup can be quite complex and it is not always obvious how it should be setup for specific applications.
IanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows