Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 01-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #121
cjmaddy
Registered

Let's not go down this 'update' road again. Jim has made his views abundantly clear more than once....
Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
.... As far as an updater, it will have to be a manual one. I'm totally opposed to programs automatically going out on the Internet without the owner's knowlege.  
A little attention paid to the earlier parts of this thread, will show that this subject must be well past its sell-by date.
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:38 AM   #122
VinceMoll
Registered

Would it be easier to have an area on the SereneScreen MA3 web site where anyone who wants can add their E-Mail address and check a box to recieve an e-mail notifying us about any new news or updated. This would give Jim a chance to finalize his work on MA3 instead of worrying about later changes right now!
VinceMoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #123
Jim Sachs
Developer

For years we had a check-box for people to sign up for email notifications. But people would forget that they had checked the box, and report us to the spam-police. It only takes a couple of reports to get on the spam list and have all your emails barred by Yahoo mail and other services. It's VERY hard to get off that list.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:24 AM   #124
Dale
Banned

For years we had a check-box for people to sign up for email notifications. But people would forget that they had checked the box, and report us to the spam-police. It only takes a couple of reports to get on the spam list and have all your emails barred by Yahoo mail and other services. It's VERY hard to get off that list.  
Doesn't an easy "unsubscribe" method, coupled with a "you're getting this because you asked" note in the text -- usually fix that?

I think that systems have matured.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #125
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Dale:
Doesn't an easy "unsubscribe" method, coupled with a "you're getting this because you asked" note in the text -- usually fix that?

I think that systems have matured.  
It's the users who haven't.

I think at the very least, MA3 should display a message after 30 days indicating that this version is "rather old" and they should check to see if there is an update. I am absolutely convinced that 80% of MA3 users will be running "3.0" 2 years from now, completely unaware of all the things Jim will be adding during that time.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #126
Jim Sachs
Developer

Maybe the systems have matured and we should try it again. It was draconian a few years ago. Out of a hundred thousand emails, if just a couple report you, you're banned.

Unsubscribe buttons never really work because people know that they are usually just a way of determining that someone is really at your address.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #127
Dale
Banned

Maybe the systems have matured and we should try it again. It was draconian a few years ago. Out of a hundred thousand emails, if just a couple report you, you're banned.

Unsubscribe buttons never really work because people know that they are usually just a way of determining that someone is really at your address.  
Lots of companies, big and small, seem to be able to make legitimate "subscribed" email work now, without being blocked improperly.

Today, I got subscribed email from Edmund Scientific, Computerworld, Borders, Amazon, .......

Unsubscribe buttons "work" becaue people have to forward the actual email (claimed to be spam) to the blockers. If there's a legitimate unsubscribe (as opposed to fishing for email addresses), the sites won't block.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #128
Jim Sachs
Developer

I've never clicked on an unsubscribe button that didn't result in an avalanche of spam from other companies. Once they determine someone's there, they sell the address to the list-makers.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #129
Dale
Banned

I've never clicked on an unsubscribe button that didn't result in an avalanche of spam from other companies. Once they determine someone's there, they sell the address to the list-makers.  
Sorry to hear that. My experience has been different - although I do understand your point.

I do not click on an unsubscribe button without first validating (by logic, thought, or checking) whether what I got was unsolicited.

But I fairly frequently unsubscribe by clicking (or replying as requested in the email), successfully, and without getting such an "avalanche".

And yes, I do know that this is somewhat off-topic.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #130
troyb
Registered

I just found out that 3.0 keycodes are being sold every time I try to purches a keycode I can't get pass the page that ask for my email and 2.6 keycode
troyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #131
Jim Sachs
Developer

They are still working the bugs out of the system.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #132
troyb
Registered

thank you for the reply as soon as they get it fixed you will be getting some of my money and also you have done a great job I will be waiting for the creature packs at which time you will be getting more of my money
Old 01-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #133
tormod
Registered

It seems to me that mailing lists are a bit archaic. Nowaday most
applications have a button which says: Check for update.

Alternately you can pop up a box ONCE saying that it's been 30
days since you checked for a new version and then give 3 options:

. Check Now
. Remind me in xx days
. Never show this message again

tormod
tormod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #134
troyb
Registered

I just bought ma3 and everything is working just fine the new fish will be coming later won't they this is my 9th keycode since .99 virison
windows xp home
invidia 7900 gtoc
Old 01-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #135
Jim Sachs
Developer

troyb - the new models for the existing fish will be coming before any actual new fish. This will allow them to have much more realistic movements, and help eliminate pass-throughs.
Jim Sachs
Old 01-29-2009, 10:06 PM   #136
troyb
Registered

thank you I will be waiting with my money in hand to transfer to your hand for now you have done a great job with this have a nice day
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows