Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 02-16-2001, 02:51 AM   #141
Jim Sachs
Developer

Re: Lighting

I have considered this, but it would mean an entire second set of bitmaps, which are already the biggest part of the file.

--- Jim Sachs
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2001, 09:52 AM   #142

Keyboard activation

When used as a screen saver, the kids always touch the keyboard which stops the saver. There is a definate need for a 'hot key' (preferably on the upper part of the keyboard) to go into the settings mode.
Old 02-18-2001, 05:46 PM   #143
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Re: The Sachs Aquarium WISHLIST

Hey Jim,

Would you consider creating a "presets" function within the screensaver's settings? In other words, you select all the fish you want to show up each time you load the screensaver as usual, then you go down and have the option to save that selection as a preset which you can use now or later. This way you can have multiple presets. What you do think?

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2001, 08:01 PM   #144
Jim Sachs
Developer

Maybe.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-20-2001, 07:37 PM   #145

RE: Lighting

I'm not sure how they are stored, but you could only store the delta of the difference between the bitmaps. Not much would change, only a few corals. The delta would actually be very small.

Just a thought. Keep up the good work.

Sharkfood
Old 03-03-2001, 05:53 PM   #146
Lostboy
SquirrelFish

Random Option

For the random option, how about this – Each fish would have an option box so you add or remove the fish you’d like to see for each fish. For example; Fish column #1, if you don’t want any fish for this one, then don’t add any to the column. If you want one specific fish every time, you add only that fish to the #1 slot column. If you want a random of only a few fish, then you add just the few fish that you want it to randomly pick. If you want it to randomly pick any fish, then add all fish. And the same would go for fish’s #2-7 columns. This would give you more options with the random. If you don’t like a certain fish, but still want to do it random, then don’t select that fish in any of the 7 columns. If you really like a certain fish and wouldn’t mind it coming up more then once when picking random, then have it in more then one column. I’m not sure how to explain this well. Did this make sense?
Lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2001, 09:24 PM   #147

The Aquarium & Requests

1.How about a fog/dirty water type effect. Perhaps this can also be added to the suggetion of when a fish digs in the sand or touches some plant then it would throw dirt up in the water in that small spot. Someone suggested ink from the octopus -- this would be nice too.
2.How about particles floating in the water. This could also be used with the feeding suggetion or when a fish digs up the sand or something.
3.How about an eel that stayes in little holes in the rocks.
4.Living and moving plants and animals in the coral. (I know some of this is planned)
5.Special random events. Some one else suggested it, but I wanted to put my vote for it too -- for things really special but that occur very rarely. Perhaps a creature that is hidden in the sand almost the whole time but briefly comes out. An eel swimming to another hole? The octopus realeasing ink?
Someone suggested a Yellowheaded Jawfish. Perhaps this could be a random/rare event when it comes out.
This particular fish burrows in the sand or shells on the bottom of the tank and makes its home there. It swims around rarely, mostly it hovers right above the opening to its lair in a vertical position, and if startled will dart backwards into its hole. Info can be found at this site -- www.petwhse2.com/gillsgro...awfish.asp
and a picture at this one -- www.seasaba.com/photos/jawfish.html
Old 03-03-2001, 10:38 PM   #148

Frame in Windowed mode

Another suggestion....
In the windowed mode of the aquarium, how about if the window had some kind of frame to make it appear as if the aquarium is actually in something when you are running the screensaver in windowed mode.
I not sure what kind of frame or effect would be best. Any ideas?
Old 03-10-2001, 04:36 AM   #149

Wish List

I love the aquarium and would like to see the anemoni waive like they do in the sea. I would like it but still love the aquarium without it.
Old 03-10-2001, 01:36 PM   #150

Fish requests for future version:

==
Blue Damsel, aka. Devilfish
Abudefduf cyaneus
exotictropicals.com/encyc...ilfish.htm

Little fish. BIG Attitude. And they are the most unbeliveable electric/neon blue color.

==
Yellow-Tail Damsel
Chromis xanthurus
exotictropicals.com/encyc...owtail.htm

Almost as pretty as the Blue Damsel
==
Domino Damsel, Three-spot Damsel
Dascyllus trimaclatus
exotictropicals.com/encyc...domino.htm

Looks like a cross between a fish and a domino.
==
Lion Fish
Pterois volitans
exotictropicals.com/encyc.../lions.htm

The last fish many fish ever see.
==
Purple Tang
Zebrasoma xanthurus
exotictropicals.com/encyc...letang.htm

Another blue/purple fish
==
Bannerfish, aka. Black and White Heniochus
Heniochus acuminatus
exotictropicals.com/encyc...niocbw.htm

I love the long flowing dorsal fins on these. I think is has more character than the Whimplefish.
==
Catalina Goby, aka. Blue-banded Goby
Lythrypnus dalli
exotictropicals.com/encyc...talina.htm

You want colorful? This is the fish! Red and Neon blue!
==
Porcupine Puffer
Diodon nicthemerus
exotictropicals.com/encyc...cupine.htm

I call him "Spike".
==
Yellow Boxfish
Ostracion cubicus
exotictropicals.com/encyc...dotbox.htm

Ugly, but cute at the same time.

==
A "Blue Sky" request would be for "live" Anemones so the clownfish and others could have symbiosis.
==

I just found the screensaver last night and I'm in AWE. I'm telling all my friends. You have created the ultimate screensaver. Many thanks and keep up the good work!

bd
Old 03-10-2001, 01:49 PM   #151
Jim Sachs
Developer

Blue Damsels will be coming soon.

The Bannerfish is just another name for Wimplefish. The Wimplefish in the Aquarium is a young one whose "banner" hasn't grown to full length yet.

Some of these, like the Blue-Banded Goby have an entirely different behavior and will require a different movement algorithm (this one usually sits on the bottom for a long time, then moves in short bursts). Fish with this type of movement will be added after all the "normal" fish.

--- Jim Sachs
Jim Sachs
Old 03-12-2001, 11:44 PM   #152

Sachs Aquarium Wishlist

Dear Jim
As a former hobbyist who had a salt water thank you so much for an incredible job. The realism is mind bending. Its also great for me - no more hours of cleaning and dead $50. fish. My recommendation for the tank is a Cleaner Wrasse. The colour is not spetacular but the relationship with the other tank inhabitants is fascinating. This species of Wrasse will remove parasites and so on from the bodies, gills and even mouths of other members of its community. The fish in the aquarium will actually present themselves for inspection in order to encourage the Wrasse to do its job. I have even seen a Cleaner Wrasse working on the mouth of a Moray eel. I had this Wrasse in my old tank and watching the relationships between it and others was endlessly fascinating. My knowledge of programming and so on your part is limited but I really feel that this would be a solid contribution. In the meantime thanks for a fabulous piece of work. By the way my cats also thank you. They think dinner is served when the monitor is on!!
Jim Harris
Toronto, Canada
Old 03-13-2001, 12:36 AM   #153
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Re: Sachs Aquarium Wishlist

You know something, most of the time I think people (myself included) look for the real colorful fish, but your idea of a Cleaner Wrasse really does sound interesting.

If Jim gets the images he needs to make this fish, then it would only be a matter of the final AI tweaks to give it the unique "cleaning" behavior. This of course would be later on since the AI is not the primary focus of Jim's efforts at this time.

Great idea, hopefully we'll eventually see this realized.

- DL
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Old 03-13-2001, 01:30 PM   #154
Jim Sachs
Developer

Re: Sachs Aquarium Wishlist

A cleaner wrasse and cleaner shrimp are definite possibilities.

--- Jim Sachs
Jim Sachs
Old 03-20-2001, 12:15 AM   #155
Shinsa
Registered

Getting too realistic?

I don't know if this has come up yet, but how about having the fish actually grow? Have the selected fish start at a young age, and watch as they mature. This could be done at a selectable time scale. Maybe even have the fish lay eggs? Mating? NAH! That's getting a bit too real!!

And if the option to feed them is there, then how about the fish dying off? Nothing morbid, maybe just fade away, and now a fish is missing?"Hey! Where'd my favorite Powder Blue Tang go? Uh oh, I forgot to feed them..."

I remember a program on my old Apple IIe called "Little Computer People" or something like that. You needed to have a daily interaction with this program or the little guy would get ticked off. And this was about 15 years ago!
Bob

"When you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Old 03-20-2001, 02:09 AM   #156

oooh! what wonderful fish!

i just love the clownfish! his banded colors are just mezmerizing!

i have only ever had a freshwater aquarium... and i have always loved the Chinese Algae Eater (Gyrinocheilus aymonieri) ... i think that this is the proper name of the fish. is there a saltwater variant of this one? or one that looks like/serves the same role in a saltwater aquarium?

thanks!

rexifelis
--i am rather feline like... i love watching fish!
Old 03-20-2001, 07:01 AM   #157
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: oooh! what wonderful fish!

rexifelis,

All of the Tangs (Purple, Regal, Yellow, Powder Blue) are algae eaters.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 07:04 AM   #158
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: Getting too realistic?

Shinsa,

The fish in the Aquarium are all juveniles. If they were allowed to grow up, Jim would have to produce 2-3 more versions of each fish, and as one fish got larger, the number of fish in the tank would have to be limited to fewer than 7. And frankly, most of the adults aren't very attractive in my opinion.

Second, the fish in Jim Sachs' aquarium will NEVER die and NEVER attack/kill each other.

If you want realistic drama like this, check out Aquazone. It's a saltwater aquarium simulator that I hear is very frustrating and stressful to maintain (much like saltwater aquariums used to be even 5 years ago).
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 03:24 AM   #159
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

The Sachs Aquarium WISHLIST (3D Background)

Jim,

During the creation of the 3D background, have you given any thought to making use of paralax scrolling? You know, something akin to Shadow Of The Beast on the Amiga, ahhh the good ol' days.

For those of you who were not around back then and would like to know what "paralax scrolling" is, just play any Street Fighter game or even some of the newest next gen titles like Tekken Tag on the PS2 (although the paralax in that game is a VERY bad example).

While playing one of these games, move left to right on screen and watch either the floor or the 3D backgrounds. You'll notice multiple layers are being used and each one is moving independant of the other. Basically this helps to increase the feeling of depth perception. This technique has been in use a VERY long time, it's pretty amazing to know that it was originaly used in 2D games almost 20 years ago and yet it's still in use in some of the world's most advanced 3D games today.

- DL

P.S.
Think I'll go play me some Shadow Of The Beast on my Atari Lynx.
Steve
Old 03-21-2001, 03:26 AM   #160
Jim Sachs
Developer

Re: The Sachs Aquarium WISHLIST (3D Background)

The new background won't need parallax scrolling - it will be true 3D.
Jim Sachs
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows