Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 04-04-2002, 08:35 AM   #1
LizardMan
Registered

Exclamation Dual Monitor Support

I dont know how hard it would be to do, especially with some people having different resolutions on each monitor, and I dont know how many other people out there have more than one monitor hooked up.
But, if it's reasonably easy to do, it would be nice to have a bigger "tank" where fish could swim between screens.
LizardMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 10:02 AM   #2
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

This has been up a number of times before. Question 2.5 in the FAQ explains why it isn't available. Som users have reported that they run the 16:9 wide version stretched out to fit their double desktop but the proportions wouldn't be the best.

Perhaps (hopefully) this will be available in the future. Jim managed to squeeze most (I know, not all of them) of the original features that "required" a switch to DirectX 8 into the current version that uses DirectX 6 so who knows.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 05:50 AM   #3
LizardMan
Registered

Sorry, for some reason I didnt see the FAQ page, I have read it all now!
LizardMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 11:59 AM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

It looks like the Aquarium is going to be ported over to DirectX 7. This will allow support for dual monitors, which will work hand-in-hand with the double-width 3D background Jim is working on. You'll get to see it all the time, while us peons with one monitor will have a scrolling background.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2002, 05:22 PM   #5
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Angry

Boy that's great . I had a 3 monitor system up to about 3 weeks ago . I had a 21" nokia a 17" dell an a 15" micron . The main monitor (21") had a GeForce 3 ti 500 . I hated that card . Had it for 1 week . Anyway I changed my system to just 2 monitors . I now have 2 - 21" Nokia's with a GeForce 4 mx 440 . This card I like a lot better . But anyway , The system looks a lot better with the monitors matching . I can't wait for the fish to work on both monitors .

You just made my day Feldon
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 02:47 AM   #6
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Care to elaborate why the GF3-.5k is so bad? I'm neither contesting or agreeing with your statement – just curious
Old 04-06-2002, 03:36 AM   #7
feldon34
Forum Administrator

A GeForce 3 outperforms a GeForce 4 MX, since a GeForce 4 MX is actually a GeForce 2 with some of the capabilities of the GF3 but not all of them.

The GeForce 4 MX is not at all related to the GeForce 4. Questionable advertising if you ask me. It's like selling a BMW 525mx and it's really based on the 300 series.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 04-06-2002, 05:59 AM   #8
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

*OffTopic*
Gahhh! vBullentin just ate my reply! Second attempt:
It's like selling a BMW 525mx and it's really based on the 300 series.
I see your point, Morgan, although the 5xx series isn't "better" than the 3xx series – just bigger.
It made me think of a odd thing with BMW model naming though:
The formula used to be: first number defining what series (3xx, 5xx, 6xx, 7xx or 8xx). the two following were the cars engine volume in decilitres (316, 318, 320, 325, (328) or 330). Then some bright marketing guy decided to call the 1.8 litre car "316", the 2.0 litre car "318" and the 2.2 litre one "320". The "325" and "330" still use the old formula though. What gives?
Old 04-06-2002, 10:45 AM   #9
Innovan
Registered

When you see "GeForce 4 MX", think cheap and lower end.

The GeForce 4 Titanium series is the leading edge of their technology. There is amost nothing in common between the MX and the Ti series. A lot of people feel the naming strategy is misleading, but price points between the cards are in line with each's performance.
Innovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 11:18 AM   #10
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Big Grin

Boy did I open a can of worms ? I guess I should elaberate on this . I got a new motherboard for my P4 an I could not use my Voodoo5 5500 in the board . So I got the GeForce3 ti 500 . Well I had nothing but trouble with it because of my other 2 pci cards . They were both voodoo3's . You see I had a 3 monitor system . An beleive me , once you have a multi monitor system you'll never go back .

Anyway The SS worked great with it but I had a lot of problems with my games not working right because of the GeForce card an the voodoo cards . So I got the Xtasy GeForce4 MX 440 by visionTek . That way I had the dual monitor hookup . I know it's not the top or even middle GeForce4 . But it works great on here for me an I didn't lose any FPS by going to this card . Everything runs at the same I had with the ti 500 . So I guess I should have said all this in my first post .

Sorry for being a BoneHead

So .......... when will this great SS be switched over to DX7 ? How hard will that be ?

An again I'm sorry for being a BoneHead
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2002, 03:52 PM   #11
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Hey there! Go a little easy on the self-criticism there, Wshirey! You're no BoneHead. Evidently the second setup worked out better for you than the first. Then everything is fine and you made a good choice, right? FPS-counting-wise the GF3 is superior, but I (and some others) totally forgot the nView features, which I/we should have considered after having a look at the topic for this thread.

As for when the DX7 version is completed: It might prove to be very hard – and again it might not. Jim (and possibly others) won't release it until it's done (duh, Calle) so who knows? I'd be very surprised if you managed to squeeze a deadline out of Mr. Sachs on this...
Old 04-06-2002, 04:29 PM   #12
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I didn't remember that a GeForce 4 MX can run 2 monitors simultaneously. That little tidbit of information changes everything.

I guess we need to remember that the latest scores in the 3D benchmarks are useless if it is not giving you the configuration you need.

One day I'll add a video card with dual monitor support so I can put my tool palettes on one monitor and my work on the other.
Old 04-06-2002, 04:30 PM   #13
feldon34
Forum Administrator

As for when the DX7 version is completed: It might prove to be very hard – and again it might not. Jim (and possibly others) won't release it until it's done (duh, Calle) so who knows? I'd be very surprised if you managed to squeeze a deadline out of Mr. Sachs on this...
Or Will Ware, Jim's long-time friend and Prolific programmer, who is the one doing the translation.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive