Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-27-2002, 12:53 PM   #21
fubarhq
Registered

Smile My two cents

Jim,

Just a couple comments for you and the board.

Firstly, I was caught up in the key-code hell and could you imagine my dissappointment when my version 1.1 wouldn't work with the key-code emailled to me ( It was solved by the end of the next day less than 24 hours, so good on them for that. I couldn't get my damn cable co. to come out and reset my satellite for a week and they are a nationawide chain.

Secondly, great job on the lion fish. Can it be improved - yeah sure, but it can also be left alone as well. As you said - put it up against anything out there. Great job though. I have a real saltwater reef tank with seahorses and I just love the ability to have a,ionfish that would require quite bit more space and money to keep, so for me, I enjoy the new addition.

Thirdly, and final comment. I understand that you have to take the time to re-develop and redesign for version 1.2 There seems to be no point then trying to add additonal features or fish to a version that will be for all intensive purposes obsolete. In all this though, there will be those that have been with you since the beginning and want bigger better faster. However what you have done since version .99a through 1.1 is just amazing and those that have/have not been here since the beginning (I certainly have not) may not realize the time and efforts expunged thus far. For me, I found this screensaver through a friend of my mothers who runs it on there computer at work and they have version like .99k still with no further upgrades - for them, that version is good enough I guess and wouldn't bother you about it for others they want more. (PS - I keep telling them to go get the new version, but alas that is another story.)

Well, I give you and the members of the board this one final analogy before I go...

There was a computer game created eons (like 6 yrs or something) ago called MYST. ) It became the biggest selling game of all time and was addored by the fans. After the game was completed, the fans pushed and wanted more and more and the creators then made MYST II - RIVEN. the game was great but the code made it jerky, it was loaded with bugs and made for a very rough game-play requiring a lot of re-boots and replays. The reason, the fans who loved the game so much put so much pressure to release the next version that they rushed it and released it when really they should have reworked it for 6 more months or so. SO, instead they get it out and they get the thumbs up for content, thumbs down for programming and stability. There third installment - runs perfectly, not a hitch yet and great game-paly they took their time though, So anyway, it is not uncommon for computer programmers to spend months and even years reworking and updating software to get a better version to the public. In almost all cases that will cost money to the end user - in your case it will be free. So, IMHO, Jim, take your time, do it right, we'll be here 6-12 months later eagerly awating our free update. Hell, I wish Microsoft would give free updates, or Electronic Arts would, or anyone else. So, I consider us the lucky ones.

Thanks again and cut Jim some slack guys, he basically doing all this now for free! AND to top it off, the programers is taking time to visit the board and talk to us. Ever see BIll Gate's gurus on a chat board daily answering questions - Nope!
OK, I will get off the soap-box now. Have fun re-working it.

PS, can you add feeding into the 3D update, I'll wait a couple months for that?
Dave
"no one is worthless, you can always be used as a bad example."
fubarhq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 12:58 PM   #22
fubarhq
Registered

1 more cent.

In line with Taxman and the like. After the 3D update, I know this is your baby and all, but I would be inclined to say give the fish rest and give us the butterflies or the terrarium. I mean you could probably get a much better customer base if you make a whole new screensaver than just build some new fish for this one. I personally if I had the choice of a butterfly SS of this caliber vs. say buying new fish - my money would go to the butterflies. This tank is pretty impressive as is and will be I am sure just amazing with the 3D background, but after that, take some time off and then get those flies going!? )
Dave
Old 02-27-2002, 02:25 PM   #23
feldon34
Forum Administrator

fubarhq,

The 3D background is the last item to be added gratis. The incredible realism of it will boost sales, so it's not as much of a money-loser as it sounds.

After that, there will be direct revenue from Creature Packs. Approximately $10 will get you the next 5-7 creatures (this is all tentative now!). So the full boat Aquarium will be closer to $40. Definately worth sticking with the Aquarium a bit longer.

And I'd say that the programming and efforts in the 3D background dealing with collisions and keeping things from bumping into each other will be vital research that can be poured directly into the Butterfly Garden code.

I think it would be a mistake to jump into the Butterfly Garden right now.

Comments?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 02-27-2002 at 02:31 PM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 03:01 PM   #24
Lostboy
SquirrelFish

As much as I’d love the butterfly screensaver ASAP, I think it might be better if it was made after the 3D background and creature packs, when there are only tweaks, bug fixes, and smaller add-ons left. Think of all the people who eagerly wait major upgrades to the SS. Now multiply that by 2 if you had two SS’s with major updates to be made. There will always be people wanting more from the Aquarium, but I imagine it would be much less after the 3D background and creature packs are made. But that’s just my $0.02.
Lostboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 03:20 PM   #25
Jim Sachs
Developer

Thanks for the kind words, fubarhq. The Myst example is a good one - it has been several years since the original and they just came out with the newest one. Of course, I still consider the original Myst one of the "new crop" of computer games since I've been doing this for almost 20 years now. It's an interesting genre, with moody, highly detailed still 3D renderings, and I enjoyed it a lot. One of my former students became very successful doing a couple of games in the same vein, "The 7th Guest", and "The 11th Hour".
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 02:38 PM   #26
fubarhq
Registered

Another cent or two...

Morgan, just wanted to get this reply in. thx for getting back to me yesterday though with the forum down and all...

feldon23,

I'm not sure that my posts came across the way you replied, so I will try to answer in an attempt to clarify my meaning. Not that I am in any way saying you are too goofy too understand (big grin here.) them. By the way I am very impressed with your handling and moderating the board to even include in your post to me the word "comments?" That is professional as it's not the last word, but yet an invitaion for a discussion - very cool. (trust me I know about communication break-down) but I digress...

I am not sure I mean't that the additonal features of the aquarium would be money-losers, I was just trying to make a point that there are a lot of people who would find the screensaver great as is and even better with a 3D background period. I mean a 3D background with the options we have plus 20 fish to play with - great, what else do we need? Like I said my mothers friend has an earlier release of the SS and is happy with that and hasn't upgraded yet. Why, well they may not even know there are updates and/or choose not too. Not everyone will care if there is anything more done to the screensaver now, let alone after the 3D background is finished. Jim even changed the default settings to all the slots to random and I remember reading posts about guys running around changing the aquariums on display to ashow other fish. That to me presents itself with the proof that, to them, the SS is very cool even with just the 3 fish they thought it had.
Now, I am not a marketing person, I fly planes for a living. But the general public are always wanting something new and different. Take my analogy of a large gaming company like Electronic Arts. They make a great hockey game, could they make it better, sure, and they do update it "annually" with some minor game-play, graphics and roster changes and charge full price again I might add. But EA also makes football, baseball, racing, etc. Could they focus just on hockey and make a phenominal hockey game so realistic that you would actually get a concussion playing it? - sure, but they don't, they make a great game that people enjoy and they also make other great games. I think that if Jim were to complete this 3D background and put the SS out there. People will scarf it up. It would be great. Could he add more and more and make it phenominal - sure, but I think people would rather have two great SS than one phenominal one. I mean if they are packaged together he could sell both for $40 and I think that would sell better than say $21.95 and then $10 add on's. By they way not to say the SS isn't phenominal already but the fact that Jim hasn't quite "finished" yet according to his vision says he doesn't quite believe so yet. MAybe when teh checks start rolling in he will change his mind on that point. I mean if I sold 1 million units of something I would think it was phenominal - for me anyway

Footnote here, For selling the aquarium, Jim you need to hit the local aquarium shops or distributers to sell it there as well. Man people love salt tanks and they are so expensive to have. ( I have 4 fish tanks myself and Jim's is the most stable one I own

Anyway, my point being however that I am not sure that for a SS people will run out to buy new fish say vs. a whole new world to explore and run on their computer such as the butterfly garden. I have multiple computers and I iove to run different SS on each one, so for me, a varety is what I like. Now if I could have a few of Jim's creations on my computers rather than just different versions of the same one - that would be heaven. Just look at the way people buy and listen to music, movies, TV, etc. they are constantly searching for the newest most popular thing.

Well, I guess that's all for now, whew, getting tired and losing oxygen up here on this soapbox, so I guess I will get down AGAIN.

PS My personal opinion as I think I said before, finish the 3D bakground, take some tiem to enjoy the cash and then do the butterfly garden. people will buy the creature packs after they have had a 6 months to get used to the ones they have now. I mean 20 fish on random! Multiply that exponentially and that is a great number of combinations to work with. Also, Jim needs a seahorse. I have them for real and they are very feasible tankmates but very hard to keep, so they would be cool to have for a no hassles creature on the SS. (after the butterfly garden though ANyway, I'm off, talk later and thx for the replies

PPS, 7th hour and 11th Guest were pretty good.
Dave
Old 02-28-2002, 03:18 PM   #27
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I'm not sure that my posts came across the way you replied, so I will try to answer in an attempt to clarify my meaning. Not that I am in any way saying you are too goofy too understand (big grin here.) them. By the way I am very impressed with your handling and moderating the board to even include in your post to me the word "comments?" That is professional as it's not the last word, but yet an invitaion for a discussion - very cool. (trust me I know about communication break-down) but I digress...
Well people expect me to respond to their question as if it's the first time I've heard it and as if the customer can do no wrong. I have no qualms about being honest with rude people and closing things down when they threaten a positive forum experience. Conflict interests me. I'm one of a few people who can find logic even when I am furious.

Jim gets hundreds of e-mails a week from people demanding the "rest of their $20" so to speak. The demand for more Aquarium stuff has been 10:1 over requests for Butterflies. Some have even tried to associate the Aquarium realism as being a masculine thing and the Butterfly Garden as being generally a feminine thing. This is what people have actually said, i'm not making it up.

I am not sure I mean't that the additonal features of the aquarium would be money-losers, I was just trying to make a point that there are a lot of people who would find the screensaver great as is and even better with a 3D background period....Like I said my mothers friend has an earlier release of the SS and is happy with that and hasn't upgraded yet. Why, well they may not even know there are updates and/or choose not too. Not everyone will care if there is anything more done to the screensaver now, let alone after the 3D background is finished. Jim even changed the default settings to all the slots to random.... That to me presents itself with the proof that, to them, the SS is very cool even with just the 3 fish they thought it had.
I was the main person pushing them to make the Aquarium default to 7 random slots. There are thousands of users who thought there are only 7 fish instead of 20. I did it for two groups of people.
-Those that download the Aquarium and are furious that they can only see the 7 default fish. (Nowhere in any documentation, read-me, or pop-up message-- EVEN IN 1.1-- does it say what keyboard commands exist).
-Those that download the Aquarium and don't realize they only have 7 fish.

Here are the major support questions (hundreds of these a week) we get feature-wise:
#1 Where is the Octopus? How do I download it?
#2 What is the background flat? Where is the 3D background? How do I download it? When will you have multiple changeable backgrounds?
#3 How do I turn on more than 7 fish? How do I see the other fish at that feldoncentral.com site?

Now, I am not a marketing person, I fly planes for a living. But the general public are always wanting something new and different....
I understand what you're saying. Jim is not approaching this directly from a marketing point of view (in fact there really isn't any marketing that I've seen except some opportune TV appearances) but also from an artistic point of view. He's been telling people about the Octopus since August 2000. You would have a line of people outside his door with rakes and shovels and implements of destruction if he pulled the plug now.

And I still think his experience creating the 3D background will be vital in the creation of the Butterfly Garden.

Footnote here, For selling the aquarium, Jim you need to hit the local aquarium shops or distributers to sell it there as well. Man people love salt tanks and they are so expensive to have. ( I have 4 fish tanks myself and Jim's is the most stable one I own
The Aquarium can be resold in those stores if they inquire, but small retailers aren't receiving any literature, so it's entirely reflexive/word-of-mouth. If you know some pet shops and stores that should be selling the Aquarium, point them to www.serenescreen.com so they can start getting it at wholesale.

Prolific has had no success getting Best Buy, Circuit City, Wal-Mart, etc. to carry the Aquarium. So far only Fry's is on board and they only have 21 stores.

PS My personal opinion as I think I said before, finish the 3D bakground, take some tiem to enjoy the cash and then do the butterfly garden. people will buy the creature packs after they have had a 6 months to get used to the ones they have now....Also, Jim needs a seahorse. I have them for real and they are very feasible tankmates but very hard to keep, so they would be cool to have for a no hassles creature on the SS.
I'm confused. So when would the creature packs including the seahorse be done? A year from now?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 02-28-2002, 05:19 PM   #28
Jim Sachs
Developer

My current plan is:

1. Help with the deluge of emails until they settle down to a number that the Customer Support staff can handle without falling behind.

2. Finish the 3D background.

3. Help out with a motion picture for a month or two.

4. Create Creature PAck #1, which will probably include a seahorse.

5. Start on the Butterfly Habitat.

6. Create Creature Pack #2. (Maybe after Butterly Habitat is done, but if it's going slow, I'll try not to let the release of Creature Pack 2 go to long.

7. Die of exhastion.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-28-2002, 05:51 PM   #29
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Jim, I wasn't trying to stick the question to you, I was asking him a question. Still, thanks for the news.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:10 PM   #30
Innovan
Registered

60-80% of any game's budget today is artwork.
5-10% is programming (AI behavior, pathfinding, saving games, UI, etc)

There will be soon enough another technology generation with new 3D cards and DX 8 will become DX 9 or DX 10. I'd suggest completing as much as he cares to before that technology change makes continuing development with SS a pain in the rear, (do the movie work to clear the pallette), then make the sequel on the next generation of development tools, using what's been learned from SS and having some time to get away from it and think about it with some distance.

Jim's commented he feels competition breathing down his back previously, but that's just not true. All the other Aquarium programs I've seen were by people who knew the 5-10% programming part so-so, but were completely clueless on the far more important 60-80% artwork side of entertainment software. The competition's artwork is uniformly amateurish.

I *would* look into using some better software tools like http://www.perforce.com which is free with a two user license and is excellent for organizing and archiving painlessly the many different revs of artwork he goes through (I know one publishing houses uses it as their art group evolves their book covers) It saved my butt when Melissa destroyed my dev machine.
Innovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 08:24 PM   #31
JPichat
Registered

12 Highscores

Exclamation Retail Stores

If there is some way of getting the offers being made to retails stores, I can forward that to the owner of a small chain of retail stores here in NJ. He's a good friend of mine and I do their web work as a side job.

Jeff
JPichat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 09:00 PM   #32
Jim Sachs
Developer

For hard-copy sales, stores can contact Sales@prolific.com.
Jim Sachs
Old 03-01-2002, 12:11 AM   #33
fubarhq
Registered

Last couple pennies...

Morgan,

thanks for going through the replies again publicly. I like Jim's timeline. I was just curious and trying to incite the conversation. The seahorse comment was just a "wishlist" item for me. I would personally want the butterfly before the seahorse, but either would be very cool. Just seeing what you've done with the aquarium thus far Jim, I am eager to see the butterfly garden too. As Morgan says though, I don't want a lynch mob beating down your door for an Octopus. That would be bad and very unproductive for everyone, so you do what you have to Frankenstein. Anyway, thanks for the reply and great job. I will enjoy my lionfish and his buddies and await your next installment.

My bottom line opinion of all this Jim was, you should take some time now and try and avoid option #7.

Ok, talk later.
Dave
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive