Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 03-22-2003, 11:30 AM   #1
skypx
Dual Xeon

Angry Let's see how MA2 runs on your system!!

This one is even better!!!
skypx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 01:13 PM   #2
clifdene
Registered

I wish you wouldn't do this? I get 60 and I thought I was doing well. Woe is me!
clifdene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 02:12 PM   #3
cjmaddy
Registered

clifdene,

Worry not, - ANYTHING above what you are getting, comes under the Law of Diminishing Returns, - gone mad!

The obsession with very high fps is difficult to understand, - and impossible to justify!

You ARE doing well! ...... I wish I could get 60 fps !!!!!!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 04:48 PM   #4
EddieWan
JediMaster

LOL! I agree. I have a geforce4 ti 4600 which can get me upwards to 300fps, but I never turn off the limit ftp to 62 option on my card. It's too much of a waste of resources for no return.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!
EddieWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 05:50 PM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by clifdene
I wish you wouldn't do this? I get 60 and I thought I was doing well. Woe is me!
Your card is probably capable of a LOT more than 60.

Microsoft DirectX comes locked to 60fps.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 08:20 PM   #6
Ralph
Retired

1 Highscore

What is the trick to getting multiple copies running at once.... WindowsXP?? On 98SE I get device not found error messages.

Ludwig Wittgenstein (1889 – 1951)
The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for.
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 08:54 PM   #7
fishbowl
Cramped Quarters

Ralph,
My guess would be to run each instance of the aquarium in windowed mode & to be sure to open only one instance of each different version of the aquarium (ie. only one instance of SSAv.1.1, one instance of SSAv.1.1-Widescreen, one instance of MAT & one instance of SSAv.2.) This has worked for me & I am using Windows 98 SE. Hope this helps!
fishbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 09:34 PM   #8
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Running different products. You can't run 2 copies of MA2, but you can run 1 copy of MA2, 1 copy of MAT, etc.

And you might need Win2000/XP.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
Old 03-23-2003, 09:54 AM   #9
drfish
the Doc

How can you get your CPU usage that low while running 1.1? I can run all three at once too, but as soon as I start 1.1 my CPU is pegged at 100%...
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 11:01 AM   #10
skypx
Dual Xeon

Originally posted by drfish
How can you get your CPU usage that low while running 1.1? I can run all three at once too, but as soon as I start 1.1 my CPU is pegged at 100%...
I am using a dual xeon machine.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:07 AM   #11
Cleve
Registered

Originally posted by clifdene
I just took this screenshot on my Latitude C640 w 2 ghz P4, Radeon 7500 32Mb chipset, and 256 mb DDR. I was curious to see what the "top end" was with the limit defeated.

For comparison my recently defunct Latitude 166 Mhz would only do about 2 fps!

Cleve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aquariummaxfps2.jpg (65.0 KB, 180 views)
Cleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 11:10 AM   #12
Cleve
Registered

Originally posted by skypx
I am using a dual xeon machine.

So is only one processor actually running the screen saver? I suspect that none of the versions of MA supports multiple processors. What speed is each processor?

BTW what really impressed me was the RAM. 2 Gb??!! Wow. What programs do you run that requires so much? With 3 MA's running, and all your background programs,, your total RAM usage was only 200 Mb when you took the screenshot.

Or is it not so much a need as a want? lol.

Cleve
Cleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 12:29 PM   #13
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

skypx,

Nice screen shot running all three versions, but unless I miss my guess (which is entirely possible), you wont get a true reading of each version's potential FPS while running all 3 at the same time. Even though you are running a dual Xeon setup which could account for your low CPU usage, your graphics hardware is not dual and as such your graphics card is having to run all 3 at the same time with no back up like the Xeon. To get a more reliable reading, I'd suggest that you run each version of the aquarium seperately for a more exact benchmark and I'm willing to bet that you'll get higher FPS counts.

Morgan, Jav, or anyone else, please feel free to jump in here if you think I'm wrong on this one. I'm pretty sure I'm right though.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 01:30 PM   #14
cjmaddy
Registered

Same as Ralph, - only one at a time for me! ..... So far! ..... (Windows 98SE / GF4MX440)

Just thought I would give a plug for the wide version !!!

clifdene, - Only ~40 fps .......... But isn't that wide version gorgeous! ...... Who needs a clock?
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 02:17 PM   #15
skypx
Dual Xeon

Originally posted by Cleve
So is only one processor actually running the screen saver? I suspect that none of the versions of MA supports multiple processors. What speed is each processor?

BTW what really impressed me was the RAM. 2 Gb??!! Wow. What programs do you run that requires so much? With 3 MA's running, and all your background programs,, your total RAM usage was only 200 Mb when you took the screenshot.

Or is it not so much a need as a want? lol.

Cleve
Cleve, even though the screen saver only supports one processor, winxp pro manages two processors (and hyperthreading) nicely. I can run all three screensavers, defrag all hard drives while encoding video without droping any frames. This is specifically why I love dual cpu systems. I just upgraded to 3.06 xeons, and I wanted 2 gb of ram because I am always multiple programs at once.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:24 PM   #16
skypx
Dual Xeon

Originally posted by Digital Lungfish
skypx,

Nice screen shot running all three versions, but unless I miss my guess (which is entirely possible), you wont get a true reading of each version's potential FPS while running all 3 at the same time. Even though you are running a dual Xeon setup which could account for your low CPU usage, your graphics hardware is not dual and as such your graphics card is having to run all 3 at the same time with no back up like the Xeon. To get a more reliable reading, I'd suggest that you run each version of the aquarium seperately for a more exact benchmark and I'm willing to bet that you'll get higher FPS counts.

Morgan, Jav, or anyone else, please feel free to jump in here if you think I'm wrong on this one. I'm pretty sure I'm right though.

Digital Lungfish, I actually wanted to see how the geforce fx I just got would perform with all three running at the same time. So far I am amazed how much faster it is compared to the geforce 4 ti4600 it replaced.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:34 PM   #17
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

Ahhh, ok, makes sense. How much did the new card set you back?
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 02:43 PM   #18
skypx
Dual Xeon

Originally posted by Digital Lungfish
Ahhh, ok, makes sense. How much did the new card set you back?

Way too much but I love it so far.
Old 03-23-2003, 03:05 PM   #19
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Cleve
He has 1 processor running at 100%.

There really shouldn't be a need for multiple processors now that MA2 is here. I can get MA2 under 25% on my 1.4 GHz Athlon.
Old 03-23-2003, 03:10 PM   #20
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by skypx
Way too much but I love it so far.
Now you just need these:

Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive