Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 01-30-2003, 04:26 PM   #1
nv30
Registered

marine aquarium time

i checked the FAQ on marine aquarium time and browsed the forums but was unable to find out what marine aquarium time is. own the full version it r0x0rs.

thanks-
nv30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 06:53 PM   #2
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
plz go to this thread
https://www.feldoncentral.com/forums...&threadid=1196
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 07:27 AM   #3
MadBob
Guitar Man

Question OMG

Has it really been a year since the release of v1.1 o_O

I get my new IIyama 19inch Vision Master Pro454 HM903DT Monitor, sometime in the next two weeks the delay is 'cause they are so popular at the moment, flat screen, new tube design, twin 15pin input, switchable so you can have two systems connected (or the two outputs from my GeForce Ti 4200) 4 USB ports built into base, and .... wait for it .... 1 Watt (yes really 1 WATT) speakers built into base woohoo! don't think I'll connect those http://www.spotonuk.com/Info.asp?Frm=S&Itemcd=1100027 it will go up to 2048x1536 @80hz (tiny litle fishesss) you can read the spec better here http://www.iiyama.co.uk/ I know you don't need to know this but waiting for the new screen (since my AOC 17" died) is killing me

I am in a queue of 250 people and Iiyama are delivering 30 a week to the UK! so I have to be patient (but I have been a MA user for years now so I learned to be patient)
MadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 07:44 AM   #4
MadBob
Guitar Man

too late to edit :(

hmm a further thought, the settings screen has a maximum res of 1600x1200 (1920x1080 for widescreen) will MA still go up higher or is this an actual Max Res? and what about MAT?
Old 01-31-2003, 09:41 AM   #5
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Has it really been a year since the release of v1.1 o_O
Yes

You can either use the preset resolutions or "Desktop Resolution" which might accomodate your 2048x1536.

Marine Aquarium Time is not widescreen-capable.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 10:21 AM   #6
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

I am in a queue of 250 people and Iiyama are delivering 30 a week to the UK! so I have to be patient (but I have been a MA user for years now so I learned to be patient)
Ahhh yes, another Iiyama fan. I've been using Iiyama for MANY years now and the one sitting on my desktop has a picture as clear as the day I bought it, easily the best brand of monitor I've purchased to date.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2003, 11:08 AM   #7
Digital Lungfish
Obey the toad!

In fact, here's the one that's still sitting on my desk http://www.iiyama.com/product2/8617e.htm
If you're in the market for a monitor and you're looking for a rock solid brand, these guys do the job perfectly and the quality is definately there. Not to mention, the SSA looks great.
Steve
www.tron-sector.com - www.badcartridge.com - www.classicgaming.com - www.dinofish.com
Today is the tomorrow you were worried about yesterday...
Digital Lungfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 05:06 AM   #8
MadBob
Guitar Man

Thumbs Down Iiyama = fantastic

Well my monitor came a week early! but I found out it doesn't matter what resolution you set it at the fish still look the same size, even at 2048x1536 where the start button is so small you can hardly see it

so I am just alternating my desktop between 1024x768 and 1280x960 and the Aquarium runs so much faster as I can up my Hz on this monitor, it is running so smooth

I actually used the 1 Watt speakers and they are good enough for me as it has a headphone out on the base so if I want proper sound i'll use that,

I was surprised to find that the manufacturers spec of a max res of 2048x1536 @80hz isn't possible, I can only set it at 60hz but hell as I am never going to use it at that res who cares there are about 200 different resulutions / hz / colours (ridiculous)
Old 02-07-2003, 06:03 AM   #9
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Bob,
The fact that the fish stay the same size instead of shrinking with raised resolutions is probably unknown by many – Just another one of the advantages of true 3D models!

The maximum sweep frequency is probably possible. Just as Microsloth decided to limit it to 60Hz on 3D applications under XP (SP1 suppsedly fixes it for D3D apps) there's a limit to what frequencies is allowed although the monitor itself can handle it. If Iiyama states that it will work at 2048x1536@80Hz you can access that resolution by unticking the "Hide resolutions the monitor can't show" checkbox (free translation from my Swedish OS ) and selecting your desired resolution.

/Tiny Fish
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'
I suppose we all thought that, one way or another.
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 06:27 AM   #10
drfish
the Doc

Tiny's right (and beat me to saying the same thing) my 21" Sony Trinitron E500 at home can do 1600x1200 @ 85Hz, but windows only says I can do 75, uncheck the box, select 85 and I'm all set.
I don't watch commercials.
drfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 04:13 PM   #11
MadBob
Guitar Man

Embarassed

Yeah I know about the uncheck, it doesn't show any res but 60hz at the highest frq, I got the specs off Iiyama and they say 80hz (should I feel gipped)

but honestly the monitor is unusable at the highest res anaway, you'd have to sit there with a magnifying glass I just wanted to see tiny little fishes
Old 02-07-2003, 04:28 PM   #12
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

No you wouldn't. By checking the show fonts at 125% (120 dpi) coupled with use large icons would make a useable desktop (I use that on my 1600x1200@85Hz 19" setup). 2048x1536 is still insanely high (at least right now in early 2003 ) so it will be a bit on the small side, but definately feasible...

/Tiny Everything
Thanks to Morgan, Tiny Snapshots is up and running again with "Tiny Järvafält" as the latest addition – Go have a look and tell me what you think.

"We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent.
I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says,
" /Robert Oppenheimer on witnessing the first thermonuclear detonation in history.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:30 PM   #13
MadBob
Guitar Man

Err... but if I up the res then alter everything else bigger to suit ... well what's the point
Old 02-07-2003, 05:40 PM   #14
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Think of the opposite. If you decided to use a 640x480 desktop and made "everything" smaller, "everything" would have pretty blocky edges, don't you think?

Sure there's a break-even point where "everything" is smooth enough, but I for one would be interested in seeing the SSA in 2048x1536...

/TT

Old 02-07-2003, 05:46 PM   #15
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Jim said once before that he might consider adding some more settings for higher resolutions. I don't know if it would go that high, but who knows. Then you could run normally at what you want and kick the SS in higher. What do you think Jim? Did you ever get to the deceision making stage about that one?
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 06:05 PM   #16
MadBob
Guitar Man

Oh Ohhh! (Sorry Jim) what have I started
Old 02-07-2003, 06:36 PM   #17
cjmaddy
Registered

Sorry to stick my oar in here, but in my experience anything other than 'Small fonts' (96 dpi) will cause movement of some features in web page design. I don't know if this applies to just the software and features I use, but I have just done a check on my sites, after changing over to 'Large fonts' (120 dpi), just to check if this is still the case. The effect is that button sizes and some text features are misplaced and oversized for the space allocated for them. This first came to light when I started web page design, and I put a note to that effect. (see Site Information, on my site)
I have always understood that it is best, (for other reasons also), to use 'Small fonts' at all times, if possible. But I could be wrong, - I often am! - Feel free to shoot me down if you wish!
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 09:59 PM   #18
peter piscis
Carpe Piscis

large fonts

Cliff is right - whats worse (and inexusable) is that some MS Office applications also have this problem in dialog or property boxes. Nevertheless large fonts are essential at 1600x1200 or greater, at least for anyone over 40...
peter piscis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 10:33 PM   #19
feldon34
Forum Administrator

I design all my sites for "Smaller" but do not lock anything down, realizing that most people have it set to Medium.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 04:03 AM   #20
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

Peter,
I concur. Some programs have issues, but the advantages of 16kx12k is too great to be missed. (and you don't have to be above 40. )

Morgan,
You're referring to html coding, right? Isn't that a separate thing from the actual Windows setting? (No irony/patronizing – just curious)

/Tiny Fonts

Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive