Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-25-2002, 10:02 PM   #1
p_f22
Registered

Big Grin V1.1 - Lower Frame Rate?

Hi All

I've just upgraded to V1.1 from 99L and have noticed that the new version "stutters" when it runs.

When I run 99L I get approx 45fps, and when I run V1.1 I only get about 30fps.

My system:
A fast-ish P3
256mb of RAM
NVIDIA Riva TNT2 Card

I have a clean start-up with 90%+, typically, of system resources free.

I love the screen saver, it's the best $20 I've ever spent on my PC! If anyone can offer me any advice I'd REALLY appreciate it, I can't wait to have the Lionfish on my screen!

All the best
Paul
p_f22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 10:43 PM   #2
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
have you try to check the check box in the setting which described as "Limited frame rate to 60"..
this might force the frame rate to 60...
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 11:15 PM   #3
Socrates
Sage

I don't think it will raise it to 60.

It is intended only to cap it off at 60. If your card or setup can't do 60, or there is some other problem, then that is not going to help.
Bat rays? We don't need no stinking bat rays!
Socrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 12:31 AM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

You need to replace your video drivers. I got 42fps at 1024x768 on my TnT Riva 1 so you should get at least 60fps!!

Please check out my website at https://www.feldoncentral.com/Sachs/help.html
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 12:36 AM   #5
Jim Sachs
Developer

The "Limit to 60" button is to limit the frame rate on extremely fast systems.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 03:26 PM   #6
RadRick
Registered

My Frame rate is down slightly also, But only on one of my Machines.

AMD XP 2000+ w/ GF3 TI200 dropped from 240fps to 200fps.

P4 2.0ghz w/ GF3 stayed the same at 200fps.

Both machines are Runnning Win2k and Video Driver Version 23.12 @ 1280x1024x32

of course it's unnoticeable without the Stats running at the top.

Lion Fish looks Great ....!!! all the other fish seem to run into it allot though. they seem to get stuck trying to go around until they decide to turn and go the other way. If another fish has already come up from behind, it gets confused and There is a little traffic jam. I've seen up to five fish in a cluster. Once I saw them get stacked in a column right next to the bubbles.

(Not complaining, I enjoy the Fish.)

rick

Last edited by RadRick; 02-26-2002 at 04:15 PM.
RadRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 03:36 PM   #7
Tiny Turtle
is pleased

27 Highscores

I can't wait to have the Lionfish on my screen
What do you mean there, Paul? You have spent $20 on the SS but you aren't seeing the Lionfish. Are you still waiting for your key code or is something else wrong?

/Tiny Worry
Tiny Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 03:55 PM   #8
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Big Grin

Boy I must have something wrong or something . Because I just did a clean reinstall because I redid my whole system . I got a P4 2gig and had to get a new card because my voodoo5 5500 wouldn't work on this board . So I got a Gforce 3 Ti 500 . And I'll tell you what . So far I don't like this card at all . With my 5500 everything worked great . I just install a game or what ever and never had any problems . With the fish tank and the 5500 at 1024x 768 I had 180fps . Now with this Gforce I only get 119 .

I hated to have to change cards . My son has it now and just laughs at me now . ( The bugger )

But anyway , the tank is the best . Love everything about it . Great work again Jim . You the man .
ESHIREY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2002, 04:17 PM   #9
RadRick
Registered

you have to disable V-Sync Using something like NVmax inorder to get a higher FPS than you monitor's Refresh rate is set at.

(I'm also assuming you remembered to reinstall the mthbrd drivers)

rick
Old 02-26-2002, 04:28 PM   #10
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Angry

Ok RadRick . This is new to me with this card . So I have to get this NVmax . But where do I get that ? And I have to re install the drivers for the board ? Just asking . This was a whole new system I just built . I had to install the drivers for the board before I could install the card . So do I install the MB drivers again ? Sorry for being dumb , But like I said , I didn't have to do anything like this before with the voodoo . I'm just an old fart I guess . (46)

And thanks for all the help in advanced
Old 02-26-2002, 04:35 PM   #11
RadRick
Registered

No, if you have already installed the mthbrd drivers you don't have to do it again.

you didn't say what OS. SO I'm guessing it's not XP.
(XP shouldn't need the mthbrd drivers)

There is an option in the display properties Direct-X Control Panel to Disable V-Sync. although it usually doesn't really disable it. So a 3rd party utility is necessary.

NVmax is available from http://www.nvmax.com/cgi-bin/nvmax.pl?action=download.

A P4 2.0ghz (Rdram) Machine with a GF3 TI500 and V-Sync disabled should hit 180-200fps easy. especially at 1024x768.

rick

Last edited by RadRick; 02-26-2002 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-26-2002, 04:47 PM   #12
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Cool . Thanks a lot . Oh and my system is 98 . I want to get xp From my cousin .
Old 02-26-2002, 04:55 PM   #13
RadRick
Registered

Hope you get it sorted out.

I just tried it out on my machine here at work. It's a PIII 866mhz w/ a Geforce 2 GTS. At 1024x768 I get 130fps. I was kind of surprised ... !!!

(a P4 really shines with Win2K or better)

c'ya,
rick

Last edited by RadRick; 02-26-2002 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:20 PM   #14
EddieWan
JediMaster

WSHIREY, i have a geforce3 ti-500 running at that same resolution. With v-sync off I get something like 250fps at 1028x768x32, so you should be in that range. I also use detonator 4 drivers, version 23.11. You can get those from www.nvidia.com. Also, you can get nvmax at www.nvmax.com. It's really a very nice program. I had the voodoo5500, and the geforce3 ti-500 is a much nicer card in my opinion. One thing about nvidia cards, if your having problems, try different drivers. Nvidia is always tweaking their drivers, sometimes with good results and sometimes with bad results. Most problems can be fixed with a driver update.
EddieWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 12:42 PM   #15
ESHIREY
Smilie Dragon

Hey again thanks guys (RadRick an EddieWan )I got it working good . I did everything you said and got that program and now I am getting all but 300 fps . But The damest thing I took notice to now . If I have the check mark in the box to only have 60fps it's around 61 or so and everything works great . But if I uncheck the box , the bubbles are in turbo mode (which I don't care ) But when the lionfish goes off screen , he doesn't return . But if I leave the box checked when he leaves the screen he comes back . So I just leave the box checked because I love that little guy . Looks just like the one I had . Again , Thanks for all the help . You people here are the best .
Old 02-27-2002, 03:02 PM   #16
Jim Sachs
Developer

That's exactly why I put the limiter in there. I have never seen the Aquarium run at over about 80 FPS, but I figured there would be problems at speeds approaching the speed of light (time warps and all that).
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2002, 03:22 PM   #17
RadRick
Registered

Warp Bubbles = good.

Never seen the lion Fish Leave though.

glad you got it sorted out. Now go play some Quake 3. P4s love that.

rick
Old 03-03-2002, 09:02 AM   #18
p_f22
Registered

Angry Bubble Column was the key!

I would just like to thank all of you who offered advice on getting my v1.1 to run as it should.

I finally managed to sort things out by un-installing everything, running the registry cleaner, upgrading the drivers to those posted by Morgan - NOT Nvidia's latest! - re-installing v1.1, and last but not least... turning off the bubble column!

The bubble column was the key, with it running I was still only getting about 30 fps, but with the column OFF, I'm averaging a frame rate in the high 50's!

If anyone else has a similar problem, try turning off the bubble column, you never know, it may work for you too!

Paul
p_f22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive