Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows
Notices

Old 02-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #21
Jim Sachs
Developer

When MA3 doesn't show up in the Display Properties list of screensavers, it's because the program is not in the Windows/System32 directory. That's where the system looks when it builds the list.

Using the right-click-Install method does not move the program into the proper directory in XP (I believe it does in Vista). It works by just giving Windows a pointer to the real location of the file. That works fine until you choose another screensaver, then MA3 won't be on the list any more until it's either right-click-Installed again or copied into the System32 folder. Again, I'm talking about XP here, Vista is different.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #22
Xylem
Registered

Well, I won't prolong this discussion because we are both anxious for you to get back to programming clams

My only concern is that, while I see no need to change screensavers, someone later down the line surely will. And if, when they do, the SS disappears it will be unlikely that they will see a way to 'reinstall' it. It will just remain inactive, and of course fail to be a source of amazement and thereby a sales stimulus.

If MA3 fails to install in the right folder, so that it remains in the SS list, then maybe a caveat should be inserted in the readme, or settings panel, or someplace where a new user would see it.

ps. I added a sig so we will all know what systems we're talking about. Cheers...
Asus P5E3 Premium, Q9550, 8G DDR3, Palit Radeon HD 4870, Windows 7
Xylem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #23
feldon34
Forum Administrator

The solution is to download and use the Marine Aquarium Installer, is it not?

I'd love to write an automatic updater which would make sure the Aquarium is in the right folder, the settings folder is correct, etc. But I think Jim would prefer I didn't.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #24
Jim Sachs
Developer

I think he said something about Vista64, so it's anybody's guess where the program needs to be. What works for most Vista64 users is to use the installer, then right-click the icon and use that installer, too.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #25
Xylem
Registered

Originally posted by feldon32:
The solution is to download and use the Marine Aquarium Installer, is it not? ...  
Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
....What works for most Vista64 users is to use the installer, then right-click the icon and use that installer, too.  
Wait...I thought that was exactly what I did. Unless I D/L'd the wrong thing ; "Serenescreen Marine Aquarium 3 Setup," file version 0000, 3.33MB ?

Maybe you can give me a link and I'll try again.

I am using vista64. Do most 64 users not have this problem? (and to be specific, the problem is that after install of a working MA3 you cannot change to another SS without losing MA3.)

-Tom
Old 02-02-2009, 04:46 PM   #26
Jim Sachs
Developer

Yes, you downloaded the installer. As far as most Vista64 owners - the only reports we have so far are from people who were able to get MA3 working normally by right-clicking the icon and choosing Install. I'm not sure if any of them have tried deselecting MA3 in Display Properties, so I don't know if it still shows up on this list after that.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-02-2009, 05:04 PM   #27
Xylem
Registered

Thanks, Jim.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:43 AM   #28
PetervH
Registered

Jim,

I had the same problem after deselecting the MA3 screensaver . I solved it by copying MarineAquarium3.scr in the Windows directory.

This also applies for MA2.6
PetervH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:30 AM   #29
nytiger73
Registered

I have the exact same issue. Hopefully there is a better way than doing the right click install method each time we decide to change screens savers.

Other than that one minor bug, I can't wait to see the new fish models and the rest of the tank animated.
nytiger73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:22 AM   #30
Xylem
Registered

Well nytiger, copying MA3 from SysWOW64 into the Windows folder (which also contains sysWOW64) does, as PetervH says, resolve the problem of having to use 'install' all the time.

However I see a problem looming whenever one has to do an update because the installer won't recognize where the file is.

If Jim reads this; I know nothing about installers, but I wonder if there is a way to change the install directory with the installer so that this problem could be avoided (can the installer recognize what the OS is?).

I don't know if it's relevant or not but I would point out that Alan Kapler's program is installed directly in 'Windows' and there is no problem with it. Maybe he did it to get around this problem?

I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but without some resolution those of us with vista (especially x64) are going to have continual problems. That can't be good.

Anyway, cheers.....
Old 02-12-2009, 06:29 AM   #31
philosopher
Registered

Vista 64 Correct Folder System32 ?

Jim,

I'd like to suggest trying to have the screen saver installed to the Windows/System32 folder on Vista systems. Even the 64 bit ones. I am running Vista 64 bit and I've been doing some experimenting:

If I place the screen saver file in the SysWow64 folder the screen saver has never shown up in my screen saver drop down list (from the beginning of beta testing through now). But if I put the screen saver file in the System32 folder it just shows up in the list automatically.

Once the installer came out for testing, the screen saver in the SysWow64 folder did show up in the screen saver list, but I then have the same problem of it disappearing if I switch screen savers. (I hadn't tried that until I read this thread - Why in the world would I change screen savers???!!!)

Anyway I think the easy solution is to put the file in System32.
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo
"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche
philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:32 AM   #32
Jim Sachs
Developer

OK, I'll pass it along to Mark. It's possible that Microsoft has bowed to pressure and changed Vista64 to work the same as all other versions of Windows (using system32 instead of sysWOW64, as Microsoft originally instructed).
Jim Sachs

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 02-12-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #33
dondragon62
Registered

I put the scr file in system 32 just because thats where all the other ones are and it works great.
dondragon62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #34
Jim Sachs
Developer

That's where it's always needed to be in all versions of Windows except Vista64. That OS prevents the installer from putting anything into that directory. It's possible that Microsoft has changed this policy. Mark is checking into it.
Jim Sachs
Old 02-13-2009, 02:49 PM   #35
philosopher
Registered

System32 Folder Permissions

This may be helpful to know:

On Vista 64 when placing the screen saver file into the system 32 folder I am asked for Admin privileges by UAC. Clicking the "Confirm" button allows the copy & paste to take place.

Perhaps the installer just needs to be run as admin?

Many programs ask for admin privileges when installing on Vista 64. So it shouldn't seem out of the ordinary to people.
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo
"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche
philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:59 PM   #36
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
OK, I'll pass it along to Mark. It's possible that Microsoft has bowed to pressure and changed Vista64 to work the same as all other versions of Windows (using system32 instead of sysWOW64, as Microsoft originally instructed).  
SysWow64 and System32 are actually the same place (via "file system redirection").

See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/cc300794.aspx
and then scroll down to the "Figure 4 New 64-Bit APIs" section.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #37
feldon34
Forum Administrator

From that article:

"The same directory can't hold both 32- and 64-bit versions of system DLLs such as KERNEL32 or USER32, right?" WOW64 magically takes care of this for you by the doing selective file system redirection. File activity from a Win32 process that would normally go to the System32 directory instead goes to a directory named SysWow64.

Under the covers, WOW64 silently changes these requests to point at the SysWow64 directory. A Win64 system effectively has two \Windows\System32 directories—one with x64 binaries, the other with the Win32 equivalents.

Smooth as it may seem, this can be confusing. For instance, I was at one point using (unbeknownst to me) a 32-bit command-line prompt. When I ran DIR on Kernel32.dll in the System32 directory, I got the exact same results as when I did the same thing in the SysWow64 directory. It took a lot of head scratching before I figured out that the file system redirection was working just like it should. That is, even though I thought I was working in the \Windows\System32 directory, WOW64 was redirecting the calls to the SysWow64 directory. Incidentally, if you really do want to get at the 32-bit \Windows\System32 directory from an x64 app, the GetSystemWow64Directory API gives you the correct path.
So it is certainly possible to write to \Windows\System32\ and SysWow64 separately if you manage to get around the redirect and that may be what the Aquarium or Installer are doing.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #38
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by feldon32:
From that article:

So it is certainly possible to write to \Windows\System32\ and SysWow64 separately if you manage to get around the redirect and that may be what the Aquarium or Installer are doing.  
Yep. So, where should a 64-bit Windows (Vista and/or W7) user manually put the BetaBeta .scr file?

And does that depend at all, on how the .scr file is put there?
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #39
timelord
Time is relative.

Screensaver File for Vista 64 bit

Yep. So, where should a 64-bit Windows (Vista and/or W7) user manually put the BetaBeta .scr file?

Has this question been answered? I am running Vista 64 bit and have no idea at this point exactly how the screensaver should be installed and what directory it should be in. I sounds like windows/system32 is the correct one but will the installer place it there in Vista 64 bit system?
I look forward to some more information on this question.
Thanks
Richard
timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:52 PM   #40
Jim Sachs
Developer

Try this one. It's a new installer version. Mark thinks he found a way of tricking Vista64 into putting it into the proper drawer.

As for the BetaBetas, just find where the installer put this one, and replace it with the latest test version.

Edit: I removed the link - Apparently the installer had the wrong file in it.
Jim Sachs

Last edited by Jim Sachs; 02-20-2009 at 01:26 AM.
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows