Home Register Arcade Gallery Chatroom Members Today's Posts Log In
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive
Notices

Old 02-13-2003, 08:24 PM   #1
James
Principal Engineer as SDET

Location: Was in Auckland, New Zealand, Now in Taipei, Taiwan
Cool Fish they sounds (Implementing the Fish sound in SSA)

After reading the book I just ordered from Amazon last week "Extraordinary Fish ", I found an interesting section that talk about some fish they produce sounds, and I found one of our wishlist candidate mentioned b4 by me and Steve(DL), the drum fish, also produce noises.

This gives me an idea that if those fish r added in SSA, why not also add the sound effect produced by those kind of fish while implementing thier individual behaviour?

Methink this could made the SSA more interesting rather than the bubble sound, and of coz, the user can have the option to turn the sound effect on or off with the check box in UI like bubble sound option.

The following is the quote from the book, I spent sometime to type them, but it's quite interesting to read so it worth it, u'll be amazed that fish talks.

NOT SO SILENTWORLD

In 1953 Captain Jacques Cousteau wrote The Silent World, his famous book about his underwater experiences as an early scuba diver. It is now clear that the sea is anything but a silent place. Scientists with hydrophones have recorded the equivalent of the 'dawn chorus' on coral reefs, as night gives way to day and the fish change shifts. Most of these rather inarticulate noises are produced by using a gas-fi1led swim-bladder as an amplifier. The swim- bladder is normally used to provide the fish with buoyancy. Gurnards, toadfishes and croakers, for example, have special muscles that they use to resonate their modified swim-bladders. Fish that make such noises also tend to have better hearing than those that do not, and have a connection between the ear and the swim-bladder that amplifies the sound.

Top of the pops

Toadfish, or midshipmen, are some of the noisiest fish in the sea. They are rather ugly, slimy fish with a flattened head, wide mouth and large, bulbous eyes. Their unappealing shape is, however, ideally suited to a passive life spent hiding under rocks. When it comes to courtship, these sluggish animals sing a nocturnal serenade that is quite unsurpassed. Males excavate a nest, usually underneath a rock, and entice females in with a series of growls, grunts and even whistles. People who live on boats in California sometimes complain that the noise is so loud it keeps them awake. A toadfish called the Atlantic midshipman sings particularly well, but also impresses potential partners by lighting up a series of bioluminescent spots along both sides. These look rather like shiny buttons on a naval uniform, which is why they are called 'midshipmen'. Toadfish will also grunt loudly at other times, including when they are handled by fishermen.

Male thornback cowfish also serenade their chosen mates. On calm evenings in spring, the small males swim rapidly around the females, showing off their bright colours. Each couple then swims up near to the surface and the male hums loudly to the female before they spawn.

Croakers, or drums, are unremarkable-looking fish with remarkable vocal talents. They can creak, drum, purr, hum and whistle, rapidly repeating the sounds. It is even thought that the song of the Sirens in Greek mythology might have been based on the cacophony of noise produced by shoals of these fish. Similarly, the North American freshwater drum makes noises loud enough to be heard from a canoe, and features in local legends. Many live in murky coastal waters and estuaries where visibility is low, so sound communication becomes more important.

Sound is also important at night, when vision is of limited use. Nocturnal fish, such as the west Atlantic jackknife fish, another member of the drum family, use sound. This black and white species has an extremely long dorsal fin that it carries around like a banner, which may serve to make predators think it is bigger than it really is. Gurnards are nocturnal fish found in European coastal waters that communicate with short, sharp grunts interspersed by lengthy silences.

Basic sounds can also be made by fish without using the swim-bladder. The giant ocean sunfish makes a grating noise by grinding together a set of teeth in its throat (called the pharangeal teeth). These huge, almost circular fish spend their solitary lives out in the open ocean, feeding largely on jellyfish, and may use sound to make contact with potential mates.

Fish, such as the bullhead, which has spiny gill covers and fins, can make noises by rubbing these against other parts of the body, rather like a cricket does with its legs and wing covers.
Jim, is it possible for u to implement such feature in future SSA?
James C Chen
Principal Engineer as SDET, Connected Services
HTC Corporation
88 Section 3. Zhongxing Road
Xindian District, New Taipei City 231, Taiwan
www.htc.com
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 08:33 PM   #2
Jav400
Administrator

22 Highscores

Interesting information James. Thanks for the time it took to do all of that. I would guess the first question might be if Jim intends to include any of the more vocal species that would fit that profile. I wonder where you would find faithful reproductions of the actual sounds?
Jav400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 08:47 PM   #3
James

This is the photo of the fish the book talk about, in case u wonder how the fish looks like that mentioned in the above quote extract
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sounds.jpg (122.4 KB, 157 views)
James C Chen
HTC Corporation
www.htc.com
Old 02-13-2003, 08:58 PM   #4
James

Originally posted by Jav400
Interesting information James. Thanks for the time it took to do all of that.
No problem, I like to share those to u guys, there r also many bizarre behavious and apperance of the fish talked in the book, if I got time maybe I'll type them out and post in the coffee house forum for whoever interests in those fish that breaks the rule of live.

I would guess the first question might be if Jim intends to include any of the more vocal species that would fit that profile.
yup yup, and maybe this idea whould motivate Jim to add those vocal species we asked b4, drum fish. Since its special behaviour, it makes them more competitive to other wishlisted fish.

I wonder where you would find faithful reproductions of the actual sounds?
Well, guess we need to do some decent research on that
James C Chen
HTC Corporation
www.htc.com
Old 02-14-2003, 08:03 AM   #5
patscarr
Pet Shark

1 Highscore

There are no fish sounds here, but lots of other sounds from around the world.

http://www.flat33.com/bzzzpeek/index1.html
Patrick
patscarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 02:24 PM   #6
kona001
New Husband and new Aquarium

hmmm interesting. I like the fish sounds idea. Perhaps having an easter egg occur during the holidays where a hidden fish would appear that has Christmas Colors or something like that. Or items appearing in the tank on special days like a treasure chest full of presents instead of gold. Just a thought.
"We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail"-W2
kona001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Inside: SereneScreen Fan Forum > SereneScreen Products > Marine Aquarium 3 for Windows > Marine Aquarium 2 for Windows Archive