View Single Post
Old 06-17-2002, 08:19 AM   #214
Kirby Smith
Registered

Observations of Ver 1.1 running under latest ATI AIW drivers

(The following may be specific in unknown respects to Win2k SP2 and/or Radeon AIW.) A few days ago Ati released their latest drivers for Radeons and All-In-Wonder Cards. The drivers go under the name Catalyst and have two parts, a normal driver 6094 and an associated "capture" driver. There is also a Multmedia Center with version 7.6 and upgrade to 7.7, and associated DVD software 7.6 upgraded (with the same package as MMC) to 7.7. These drivers are not without bugs (else one would suspect that they weren't from Ati); see forums at http://www.rage3d.com

I had been running MMC 4.1 and a hacked driver set based on 3102. After installing these new drivers (which seem to improve image clarity, expecially in 3DMark2001) I noticed some subtle changes in Aquarium ver 9.9L which I was still using at that point. The speed stayed at about 75 fps on my machine, but there were barely perceptable pauses in the fish motion. I had not seen that behavior before. Also, after a while auto running as a screen saver, either MMC wouldn't respond anymore, or the right edge of the screen would be off by a pixel and the MMC pop out menu would emerge from a column 1-pixel to the left of the edge.

After installing ver 1.1 this morning I observe the following: The frame rate has dropped to about 50 fps (the parameter settings include the 60-Hz limit checked). I do not see any subtle pauses in fish motion; general fish and bubble behavior seems normal. The mouse sensitivity seems better (less). I have not yet had an opportunity for the auto screen saver to act so I have no information on ver 1.1 interactions with MMC 7.7 during screen-saver mode.

The lionfish looks great.

kirby

P.S. FWIW, I'm running 32-bit color, 1024 x 768

Last edited by Kirby Smith; 06-17-2002 at 08:23 AM.
Kirby Smith is offline   Reply With Quote