View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Arahanto:
i said in the beginning that i uninstalled it, so i must have rebooted, as well. now my memory is not so clear. i was so focused on fixing the problem. .  
Depending on what version of Boinc you installed, and what installation options you chose, Boinc probably was running as a service. Which also means that any drivers would have been loaded when Windows started, and would not be unloaded until Windows is rebooted.

By enabling the Protected application execution option in the installer, you were installing BOINC as a service. Which (among other things) means that there's potentially a problem with video stuff. So, no protected mode - and not running as a service.

For future reference (of new folks reading this thread):

Boinc is a complex application for "volunteer and grid computing" - in other words, letting your computer work on some outside project when it isn't doing anything for you. Not surprising that there might be some chance for conflict with a program like MA3 which runs when you aren't doing anything else.

A couple of notes from the Boinc FAQ:

"...This means that BOINC will make accounts for itself in your Windows and assign itself rights to run BOINC as a service. By enabling the Protected application execution option in the installer, you will be installing BOINC as a service."

" Do NOT set it (Protected application execution) in Windows Vista and Windows 7 if you also want to use a GPU for crunching. The GPU will not be detected when BOINC is installed as a service."
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote