View Single Post
Old 02-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #193
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Dale:
However, I really am curious why adding 33.5 MB to the download would render this "not an option".  
I don't see how increasing the size of the download from 3.1MB to 36.5MB make financial or practical sense. A 36.5MB download will scare away all but the diehard users who already run the latest DirectX.

Why should Jim volunteer to foot the bill for thousands of dollars of web hosting every month that Microsoft should be paying?

Sorry to bother you - I guess I thought you weren't doing the Installer work, and that this would only bother markknight.  
Once again, it seems you are trying to drive a wedge between Jim Sachs and Mark Knight of Prolific. I'm not sure what purpose it serves.

Jim Sachs is responsible for the Aquarium, the entire thing. That other people including Jim R., Mark Knight, Edgar, and others are contributing to the project and doing different aspects of it does not mean that Jim does not have final say on things. If Jim says it will not come with DirectX runtime, that's the end of the story.

And finally, in my view, "report" means to write it down and post it, so it can be handled at the appropriate time by the appropriate people. Or, so it can be discussed, shot down, and nobody else (should) bother reporting it in the future (as feldon32 implied). In my view, it doesn't help for someone to find something they think is worthy of comment, and then just sit on it until some time in the future (or forget it).  
I feel that the "Direct3D device could not be found" thread served the purpose. Your 2nd issue is that the Aquarium doesn't present the error message you wished it would when encountering very old video hardware. That is not an INSTALLER issue, and so the other thread is more than appropriate. By the way, software costing many hundreds of dollars more than the Aquarium simply fail on hardware they were not designed for. Sound Forge 8 will not run on Windows 2000, period, not because 2000 can't run it, but because Sony put an idiot check into the installer so they would not have to test or troubleshoot the software on Windows 2000.

Your point about the DirectX has been made, received, and responded to several times. It is your choice to keep the issue alive, or realize that it has already been dealt with. The Aquarium is developed by Jim Sachs. It is HIS product. Not yours. Jim has given your answer -- he is not going to spend hundreds of man hours adding error handling and special code to deal with ancient hardware that is excluded from the Recommended Hardware List.

I just wonder if you won't listen to me, Michael, Prolific, and now not even Jim Sachs, if you will listen to anyone.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote