View Single Post
Old 10-08-2004, 01:03 AM   #75
Jim Sachs
Developer

I just remembered another question from Ad_Enough a page or so back. It was regarding the 3D background, and whether further work would be needed on the fish movement.

Every byte of the current fish movement will have to be scrapped when the 3D background is incorporated. The fish will have to avoid thousands of polygons of 3D objects (some of which will be moving) instead of just 2 two-dimensional planes. They also need to interact with the background objects - picking at coral, casting shadows on nearby objects, etc. All while chasing, fleeing, schooling and/or avoiding passing through each other. A programming nightmare, to say the least.

In spite of these obstacles, I actually have considered going back to the Marine Aquarium. The reason I put it on hold orginally was the fact that no distributers would carry the hard copy version of MA without at least one more program from me. So I started on the Freshwater Tank, thinking it would be an easy conversion. It quickly became obvious that it would not be so easy. However, the largest software distributer decided to carry MA without a second product, based on the tremendous success of a private deal we had with Fry's.

So, at this point the only real consideration regarding which program to work on is which would break the most new ground (which would be the most fun). I'm still leaning towards the Freshwater Tank.
Jim Sachs
Creator of SereneScreen Aquarium
Jim Sachs is offline   Reply With Quote