View Single Post
Old 12-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #2
feldon34
Forum Administrator

After 15 years, you're probably right. We're still on year one of the 5 year plan that Jim had planned for SereneScreen. It's frustrating and saddening as it didn't have to be this way. Jim is an incredible character artist and environment designer and, paired with the right people, SHOULD be making some of the best computer software/animation out there. How'd we get here?
  • Jim was burned many times over the years by publishers and other developers.
  • As a result, Jim only trusted Reichart, who did not turn out to be the ideal shepherd for this project.
  • A huge amount of time and effort was spent early on modularizing the Aquarium into a "platform" that other screensavers could be built upon, such as Flags, Goldfish, etc.
  • Jim never got the programming help needed to move forward with the creature pack and the other 4 screensavers he had planned.

If Jim would go for it, I'd do a crowdfunded Kickstarter with Jim as Art Director and Environment Artist with full veto right on how everything looks, animates, etc. Nothing would get released without his approval. I'd fly out to Oregon and have meetings that hash out absolutely everything that's expected. I'd find a couple of programmers and we'd do mockups and prototypes and collaborate until it meets Jim's standards.

And then I woke up and of course this is a dream because Jim's trust has been all used up and there's none left.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote