View Single Post
Old 08-26-2004, 04:03 PM   #4
johnblommers
The Architect

You mean surface normals?

In 3D imagery, if you want to avoid the plastic look, you apply a bump map to the surface as well as a texture. The texture provides the pretty colors. The bump map bends the surface normals. Shine a light at an angle and the bump map's effect is that you see a bump in the surface. The bump map allows you to create the appearance of bumpy surfaces without actually modeling the bumps in the surface mesh model.

It's a general concept not only in Wintel Land.

If you ever played Halo, turn on your gun's light and shine in at an angle to a bunker's surface, and you will see the effect of bump mapping.

Sooooooooooo, this is my sneaky way of asking if Goldfish Aquarium is going to get bump mapping to make the rocks and plants look more realistic. The fish look very nice already but a bump map there would REALLY add to the realism.

Oho so now I am on a roll. Speaking of realism. I can see jagged lines on the larger fish bodies against the clear watery background - is it possible that Goldfish Aquarium is not anit-aliased? I can enable this feature for the application version using the ATI preferences pane, but I am not convinced this will work for the screen saver version.
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote