View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 09:52 PM   #20
Dale
Banned

Please note, for future reference, that I did what I could as an experienced professional, and tested, to determine that the machine "closely" met the minimum specifications. And that I then ran the installer.

Originally posted by Edgar:
Dale,
Are you able to run the screensaver(MA3) on that machine without errors?
Does it always get the error?
What is machine's spec?  
No, it doesn't run in any mode without errors. When started (by any method) it produces a black screen. That includes clicking on the desktop icon, running "preview", or letting it start as a screensaver. It "does something with a black screen" for about 60 seconds, and then produces the "...has experienced an error and must quit - would you like me to tell Microsoft" box.

HOWEVER - the "could not find any compatible 3D devices" dialog box ONLY appears (as far as I can tell) when it's trying to do the "mini-preview" in the Screensaver tab of Display Properties. And acknowledging (OK) the dialog box allows me to go ahead and set MA3 as the default screensaver.

Relative to the simulation program (Jim's stuff), I suggest the following:

A. If MA3 tries to run, it shouldn't "crash" even if there's no compatible Direct3D device (easy for me to say - perhaps not easy to do). It could, of course, exit with an informative message.

B. If the test for "compatible 3D devices" fails, MA3 should not try to run. [I suspect this implies that the test should be done every time MA3 executes]

C. If the test for "compatible 3D devices" fails at the "screensaver selection" phase, then "apply as default screensaver" should not be allowed (perhaps hard to do?).

Sorry, I recognize that this isn't a fun set of comments.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote