View Single Post
Old 12-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #17
Rick Simon
Registered

3 Highscores

Originally posted by Overlord:
Needless to say I was very disappointed with avg and avira because they are antivirus programs. Advanced system care is one of the best registry repair programs I have ever tried so I will definitely keep it. AVG and Avira are history. Since that incident superantispyware is my dedicated antivirus program.  

That's not such a good idea. Superantispyware (SAS) is not an antivirus program, it is an anti-spyware/adware program, the same as MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM). Both of those programs are optimized to find a few, particular types of malware (mainly the latest forms of a number of rogue applications, trojan infectors and adware). They are both very good at that, but there are huge numbers of other "bugs" that they will not find.

On the other hand, true antivirus programs recognize and can deal with huge numbers of other types of bugs, but they tend to have trouble with the very latest thing making the rounds, as well as "grayware" (rogue applications and adware which by their very nature are not viruses).

Your best bet is to run one good antivirus program AND one good anti-malware program. For what little it is worth, I'd recommend:

AV:
Avira - free (nagware) or pay version
Avast - free version
Kaspersky AV - pay version
Norton - corporate version only
NOD32 - pay version

Antimalware:
MBAM - free or pay version
SAS - free or pay versions

Note: both SAS & MBAM free versions are non-resident and have
to be run manually

Just my $0.02 worth....