View Single Post
Old 05-17-2001, 10:30 AM   #15
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Re: Driver data

Feldon what happened to your plan to post info about drivers and Directx8?
I am NOT a computer geek and need much help, but would like the SS to look as good as possible!!
-Installing DX8 will not improve the appearance of .99K
-99K included 95% of the things that HAD been on the waiting list for the DX8 version

-I'm going to wait until a week before the DX8 version hits (weeks from now) before I post the upgrade guide. For now, my recommendation is 6.47 drivers for all nVidia cards. Hooters and Jim have more knowledge about the ATI drivers, and we've seen postings about which Voodoo drivers work best. I'd really like to have 4-5 file links for the best driver for each card and a little online HTML wizard of how to install drivers for different OSes and cards.

Bottom line, AFTER you install a new video card driver, you must install DX8 again on top. It pays to download the DX8 installer to your hard drive when it gives you the opportunity so you can do this as necessary.

I've found that installing a new driver, then forcing it NOT to restart (click No, move the dialog box, whatever you can to stop it), install DX8, and THEN reboot. All in one step. This seems to work well.

And when I recommend 6.47, it is, to be honest, mostly tailored for ALL nVidia cards. Some of the later drivers work better on GeForce 2 + 3 but worse on TnT Riva series cards. So 6.47 is a "catch-all".
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is online now   Reply With Quote