View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 04:23 PM   #71
Dale
Banned

Re: 3D screensavers.

*IF* the screensaver "3D Pipes" that comes with Windows XP is a 3D screensaver in the context you want: here's the scoop.

First, remember that I've seen the "close" problem on several different computers, runniing MA 2.0, over a long time - and am now seeing it on one computer with MA 2.6. [One computer because I'm testing it on mine before I piss off my wife by installing it on hers, etc. etc.]

For every computer that I set up - and that is over a dozen with XP Pro - I set the 3D pipes as the default screensaver. I have **NEVER** seen this "close application" problem with 3D pipes.

When I installed MA 2.0 on my wife's computer, and it caused this "close application" problem, (and after she pointed out that it really pissed her off), I changed her computer back to 3D pipes. She hasn't seen that problem since, and I would sure know.

When I installed MA 2.0 on my computer a couple of years ago, and it caused this problem, I immediately changed back to 3D pipes, and never saw the problem again.

When I built this new computer last year, I installed MA 2.0 - saw the problem - posted some information in this thread, and finally uninstalled MA 2.0 and changed to 3D pipes, and never saw the "close application" problem.

I was using 3D pipes when MA 2.6 came out, and I installed MA 2.6, and rather quickly the problem "returned". The rest is documented in this thread.

So, *IF* 3D pipes is what you meant - I can assure you that it doesn't have this problem on any of more than a dozen computers that I "support". And that's with many hundreds of hours of operation.

Oh, and the "default" screensaver with XP is installed is, I believe, "3D Flying Objects" There must be millions of folks who have never changed that, and I can't find a report of any "close application" problem.

Hope that helps.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote