View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 03:27 PM   #68
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Edgar:
Dale,
First of all, Carousel uses DirectX 7 calls and MA2.6 still has DirectX 6 calls.
Carousel runs the screensavers it starts differently compared to running MA2.6 on its own. Carousel stays in control as the screensaver.

If Carousel works, then it may give me some insights that the MA2.6 screensaver may have some problem in the DirectX 6 calls.

Just knowing that some other DirectX 3D screensaver program may work can help me pinpooint the possible problem.
If all DirectX screensavers has the problem, then the problem is not in the screensaver but in the system.

I am hoping that updating your video drivers work so that you can enjoy the screensaver without anymore problems.
This will also strengthen the possibilities that this bug is related to the video driver more than the screensaver itself.

I appreciate your help on trying to solve this. I really have no other way since I can't duplicate the problem myself.  

OK, first - and (sorry) I originally posted this in another thread:

New report of "problem symptom". With the latest drivers, by the way. And I think I am now VERY carefully observing what I do and what happens.

I was just running a backup of some files (using Backup MyPC Deluxe). The V2.6 fish started swimming. I reached over and moved the mouse - and I'm sure I didn't click any mouse button.

Backup MyPC has a "Cancel" button while a backup is running. My mouse (Microsoft wireless intellimouse explorer 2.0) is configured to "Snap to: automatically move pointer to the default button in a dialog box".

A popup appeared that said "Are you sure you want to cancel this operation". That's AS IF I had clicked on the Cancel button, but I certainly had not done so. I had not touched any button on the mouse.

In any case, it is certain that I moved the mouse BEFORE the screensaver exited.

If this problem is caused by MA having some interaction with the mouse driver, it would be "logical" for the problem to go away when "exit on mouse move" is turned off.

[Note: I do *NOT* have "exit on mouse move" disabled. You're legitimately asking for me to help diagnose the problem, and to do that, I have to EXPERIENCE the problem - working around it isn't helpful in that context.]

====================

The above is with the latest video drivers, and exhibits the problem.

By the way, I don't see the problem with any of the Microsoft screensavers that I have tried. Are any of those 3D? If not, can you point me to some other 3D screensaver that I can get to try?

I'll now get Carousel and install it, and see how it goes.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote