View Single Post
Old 12-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #920
johnblommers
The Architect

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
ITunes is extremely slow on all our machines. It takes forever to even recognize an iPod when I plug it in. We've never been able to figure out the Books/Spoken word system at all. Chapters show up in one order in iTunes, and a different order on the iPod. Playlists disappear. The whole system needs an overhaul.  
When someone reports a problem it's helpful to try to reproduce it. To see what is going on, I booted up my little Microtel box with its 1GB RAM, 10GB HD, Radeon 9200 PCI, and 800 Mhz VIA CPU. It recognized my iPhone within 8 seconds, and I expect it would be faster except that things get in the way:

- Windows XP insists on telling me, every time, it would be faster to use a USB 2.0 port even though it knows that there are none to be had.

- Windows thinks I just connected a camera called iPhone and wants to know what to do with it. Every time.

- iTunes 7.5 wants me to flash the iPhone to firmware 1.1.2 which I cannot do without bricking it, given the hacked firmware on it and all. I can check a box to disable that test.

Windows detects the USB device within a second (from the beebop sound). So I'm sorry but I cannot verify the poor response time you're seeing, Jim, so I can shed no light. The other issues you're having are doubtless iTunes-on-Windows issues, as I can assure you that the Mac version of iTunes 7.5 is a rock.

BTW I found a menu on the Windows vesrion of iTunes not found on Macintosh, you may wish to try it out:

iTunes --> Help --> Run Diagnostics
Reasons people don't watch Star Trek:
60% - It’s for nerds.
39% - The show’s stupid.
01% - My parents were killed by Klingons and it's still too painful.
johnblommers is offline   Reply With Quote