Thread: Current status
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 04:38 PM   #43
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Nakata:
Hello,
I don't want to rain on the love-fest, but can you please release a version of the screen saver that has a widescreen background?!  
Not true at all. NOT TRUE AT ALL. It does not have a background native at the resolution I posted above and simply expands the background image to fit it.

Furthermore; when I contacted Tech Support about 2 months ago to ask them about this, they mentioned they knew that at resolution it was pixelated and that the image would have been too big to include in the download.

So, what are you talking about with your BOLD and LARGE font response?  
You purport that there is NO widescreen background. This is not accurate. Thousands of Mac users enjoy the widescreen background built into Marine Aquarium for Macintosh.

You demand a 1400 x 1050 resolution background suitable for YOUR computer. The Aquarium was not designed for you. It was designed for everyone.

The background was created at 1280 x 768 over 3 years ago. That is the resolution the artwork and I don't forsee a change until it is re-created at some future date. It is not something that was created in 5 minutes but a piece of artwork that was assembled in a painstaking process.

I can't answer to why this background is not scaled smoothly to other resolutions and I do empathize with you there. In this day and age of 1+GHz computers with 1GB of memory, there shouldn't be jaggies on any 2D or 3D object unless there's a damn good reason. I'd be upset too if I had a high-end monitor and the Aquarium looked like I was viewing it through a screen door.

My bold and large font response is clear -- there IS a widescreen background that you purport doesn't exist. It simply is not at the resolution you desire.

Seriously, how about addressing something like this before you keep adding fish (it must be easier to render a background capable of 1680x1050 resolution, than it is to create all new fish models)?  
Jim Sachs, developer, author, artist, etc. of the Aquarium, is not responsible for the Macintosh product. He created the background, fish, and animation.

Development of a new fish takes approximately 1 day. I doubt source materials exist to simply re-render the existing background (which is assembled from numerous photographs of coral and then hours of retouching performed afterwards) at a higher resolution, so this might take a week or more to do what you want.

A new fish will increase sales of the product while a slightly better background probably won't. THAT SAID, Jim intends to create a new background some day which should look fantastic on ALL displays because it will be 3D modeled.

If you have concerns about the development of the Macintosh product, take it up with Order-N-Dev, the firm that did the translation.
P.S. I am not official SereneScreen tech support.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote