View Single Post
Old 04-10-2017, 07:13 AM   #41
kaseki
Registered

Jim:

It occurred to me this morning to look more closely at the imagery when operating MA 3.3 full screen. Grabbing some +2 D. (relative) glasses and a magnifying glass with a high power portion molded in, I studied the edges of scenery elements. I did NOT see any pixelation greater than one pixel on my monitor. (For example, diagonals are single pixel staircases, not 2 x 2 pixel staircases.) While I think it is safe to say that the construction of sea fans, coral, and such is not fractal as they might be in nature, I didn't see what I anticipated, 2 x 2 pixelation. In other words, it doesn't look like the moray could to gum me to death with pixelated jaws. (I did, however, notice that scorpion fish fins seem to be zero thickness.)

I wonder whether the process of MA to [Wine-translated] DX11 to OpenGL rendering is allowing some interpolation to take place that you didn't expect when constructing the original, thereby potentially making 4K rendering sharper than might be predicted.

Presently, rendering is via a Phenom II 965 (four threads) and GeForce 9800 GT. It will be interesting to see what happens with a Ryzen 7 (sixteen threads) and GeForce 1080 Ti. Maximum fish, anyone?
kaseki is offline   Reply With Quote