View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #59
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by Dale:
What is the expected behavior of the MA3 installer, when doing an "upgrade" on a system that has MA2.6 running?

In particular, what should I expect the installer to do if I have 2 or 3 logos, and have changed various settings for the crystal, clock, and bubbles?

Also, is the installer expected to "upgrade" MA2.6 to MA3 (overwriting 2.6), or leave 2.6 unchanged, or is that behavior expected to be an option?  
You should not expect ANY logos or settings to come over.

MA3:
  1. uses a totally new registry branch
  2. uses a different folder for data/logos/playlist
  3. handles lighting differently
  4. adds tank scrolling
  5. will eventually allow the bubble column to be moved
  6. does not currently support more than 1 logo (and must have a certain filename)
  7. will probably handle clock/calendar differently
  8. uses a different keycode than 2.6
Thus there is really no point for the MA3 installer to try to "import" settings from MA2.6.

MA2.6 has 1 tank setup with 7 fish, no music playlist, and none of the features above, so really it takes less than 30 seconds to setup MA3 to have the same settings as MA2.6.

P.S. Since using PNG logos was an undocumented feature of MA2.6, I do not expect those logos to be moved automatically to the new folder, but maybe that will be something that the installer does?
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote