Thread: Fixed Bug 3.0 Beta 7 MA3 Beta #1 goes Matrix
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #13
cjmaddy
Registered

Frozen fish? - I think this is the explanation....

In this thread, started by Tiny, you will notice that those reporting the same problem were also all using more than one screen.

An anomaly that cropped up whilst trying to diagnose a problem with DA, may also be the clue to what is causing this 'frozen fish' situation here in MA3.

In the case of MA3, the problem isn't necessarily to do with the order in which the monitor leads are connected to the video card, - But it might be!
If the leads are the 'wrong' way around. ie. With the video card's socket nearest to the motherboard going to the right-hand screen, - then it can result in odd things happening. - (Note: I've read somewhere that normally this is the socket considered to be the one that should connect to the left-hand (No 1) monitor.) - This of course doesn't really matter, as corrections can be made in the Display Properties. - But if that results in changing over the screen you choose to have as your Primary monitor, then the chances are that the fish could freeze when in Windowed Mode!

Regardless of all the above, just changing the monitor that is 'Primary' can result in this freezing when in a window. - But it is the above that usually necessitates changing which one is to be primary. - Other programs such as DA or Marine Aquarium, can still be spread correctly left to right, but it's in choosing which is primary, that the freezing starts!

I have checked and double-checked all the combinations and changes I can think of, - and I always get the same result. - The bubbles rise, the sound is unaffected, and the scene still auto-scrolls across the window. - But the fish are frozen!

So, come on, Tiny, rlowens, Ed, etc.... - can you unfreeze your fish? ...... It's over to you! - This may not be the solution to the bug, but it is a work-around that might unfreeze your fish. - (A re-boot may be necessary to make sure everything on your desktop shows in the right place.)
cjmaddy is offline   Reply With Quote