Thread: DVD Version
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2003, 09:09 AM   #17
feldon34
Forum Administrator

Originally posted by wetmonkey
here is alittle more indepth on dvd burn media and its battle for which will be the standard as well as manufactured dvd standards
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd
I still have a hard time explaining to people that
DVD-R/RW vs DVD+R/RW is not a format war but a spec war.

Beta and VHS never had compatible tapes.

In contrast, the purpose of DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW is all the same. Make discs that play in ALL DVD players out there. So it's 1 format, just 4 ways of doing it.

Some people cook dinner with a microwave, some with a toaster oven, some with a convection oven. But it's still dinner. Some dinners are just more compatible with your taste buds than others.

If you go to +'s website, it is full of propoganda about how theirs is the only true DVD format and its compatibility with ordinary DVD players is like 99% vs. 60% for DVD-Rs. These statements are wholly unsubstantiated. I say either get the drive you have heard the best things about, or get a dual format drive that simply writes everything. I would be perfectly happy with a DVD-R/-RW drive and just skip the + from what I have heard so far on compatibility.

Where DVD+RW excels is in standalone DVD recorders. If you are buying a DVD burner as a VCR replacement (not a TiVo? ), DVD+RW gives you a lot more indexing, bite-at-a-time recording, better menus, etc. The format was designed for that purpose.

And don't worry about DVD-RAM. Any similarity to a DVD format is purely coincidental. DVD-RAM is, in my opinion, an expensive, niche market super-sized CD format which never caught on and whose discs have almost no compatibility with your neighbor's or parents' DVD players.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote