View Single Post
Old 10-06-2004, 03:51 AM   #53
Sergiales
Software Engineer

Originally posted by Jim Sachs
Currently, the parts of the fish are handled separately.
And it looks great, isn't it?. If i remember well, the definition problem in MA is with the background, not with the fishes. The fishes look quite perfect, even with separated parts.

This worked fine 4 years ago when 1024x768 was state-of-the-art, but as more and more people acquired 2000+ pixel systems, it was becoming obvious that the fins were not really attached to the body.
Let's see if i'm understanding you properly. Are you talking about having just one mesh for the body? that is, including the fins and the tail in the same object?.
Newer games are still using models formed by multiple objects. It is a bad idea to have a complex figure formed by only one mesh object for realtime animation purposes. But it's up to you.

My goal is to have just two parts: the body and the eyes.
If it is your goal, then go for it!.
I think that a truly realistic fish animation is based on biomechanic studies and fluid dynamics (since fishes are commonly affected by the water, which is their medium). What about creating a water flow inside the tank? I've seen it in many tanks (I don't know if this has been discussed before in the wish list thread). It would be funny.

Back to the topic. Morgan pointed out that you have in mind to apply inverse cinematic (IK). As far as i know, that animation technique requires a chain of bones (skeleton) attached to multiple objects (parts?) in the Lightwave model. Let me know if i'm wrong.
So, it's a real mistery what are the selection sets for. I don't know if you are going to apply some kind of realtime calculated movement to the fins and tail, or if it is defined statically in the Lightwave keyframer. It all sounds like science fiction...

And oh, yes, don't reply too accurately to my message if you think you are going to run out of business
Sincerely,
Sergio.

Last edited by Sergiales; 10-06-2004 at 07:53 AM.
Sergiales is offline   Reply With Quote