View Single Post
Old 10-01-2004, 10:02 AM   #51
Sergiales
Software Engineer

Peter,

Thank you for your input, but Lightwave isn't the problem. Actually, the problem is with the geometry conversion routine, which is a process that has nothing to do with Lightwave itself.

I explain it a bit more.
As you already know, the fishes in the screensaver are 3D Models (press the "W" key to see the wireframe structure). A 3D model is a set of vertices forming a figure. These vertices have grouping properties, like the polygon list and the texture mapping coordinates.

In Lightwave, one special property of a vertex (remember, a 3D point) is the "Selection set".
A selection is a set of 3D points forming a sub-object, like a "fish eye", or a "fish fin".
This information is relevant for Jim, but his converter is not able to handle that info. In other words, Jim is not able to use the selections previously created in Lightwave, and as stated before, it seems to be that it's vital if we want the Freshwater Aquarium to be done.

One option could be to have separated objects (eye, fin) and manage them like "parts" of a fish. But i think that Jim doesn' like this solution. The texture mapping could be a hell.

In summary, it seems to be that correcting that process is in Jim's and Morgan's hands, and now all we can do is wait.

I'm a big fan of this site, and I'm very sorry for saying that as seen in this thread, the FA is not coming any soon. This is something that all of us should clearly have in mind.

And i don't have much more to say. Have a nice weekend.
Sincerely,
Sergio.

Last edited by Sergiales; 10-01-2004 at 11:32 AM.
Sergiales is offline   Reply With Quote