View Single Post
Old 01-01-2009, 06:23 PM   #7
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
Those works are by dead artists whose works are in the public domain. A copyright holder has a lot of control over how his creation is used. Just try opening a pre-school with Micky Mouse as its logo.  
Sure. But the pre-school can legally hang purchased Mickey merchandise. I just saw a Disney-licensed "baby changing pad" with Mickeys on it - and if someone buys one, they can do whatever they want with it.

I can buy Disney-licensed computer "wallpaper". Could Disney prevent me from running it, if I have a bunch of icons on my screen?

How much control do you have over where MA2.6 is run? Can you prevent a licensed copy from being used in a Nevada "ranch"? Can you prevent someone from adding an obscene logo?

It's possible to grab a screen-shot of MA, and use it as computer "wallpaper". Perhaps that's contrary to the license? But you can't prevent it. If somebody figures out how to use MA3 as Vista DreamScene, you can't prevent it.

I understand your artistic objection to having MA "corrupted" (pick your own words) by having icons pasted on it, or whatever else might change the really great results of your years of work.

My point was, that after you sell something, you have very little control over how the purchaser uses it. If the purchaser finds a "misuse" that you never envisioned, and that you don't like -- nothing practical can be done.

So, do great art, release it to appreciative fans, and don't worry about the results.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote