View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:06 AM   #29
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle:
You guys making lists like that – would any of you venture a guess on how long it would take to redo 30 fish from scratch, figure out their individual behaviour and incorporate that into the screensaver.  
2 or 3 years. Now, I've had the apparently-mistaken impression that the work to do that, started 4 or 6 years ago. But we've never been told that. So, if it starts tomorrow - yeah, nobody should wait. So, you guys asking questions, perhaps you could tell US "how long would it take", so we have a chance of giving advice that's reasonable.

Originally posted by Tiny Turtle:
Compared to that, whipping up the lights and finish the crystal plus image importing is a breeze, but how long would you say it should take Jim? A month? Three? A year?  
OK, you asked for my guess: less than a month for those three things, given that much of the code should already be there from 2.6, and some other assumptions. But again, I don't really know all of the situation, so why not try telling US "how long it will take" to do various things, so that we can all try to give better and more realistic advice, rather than shooting in the dark with little or no idea of the effort we're asking for.

I've been doing computer stuff, including software development and IT management, since 1958. So, I didn't exactly get into this yesterday, and I'm giving my best guesses based on the information I have been given.

Come on - asking for our advice is fine. Criticizing our advice because it wasn't "realistic" doesn't help, if you fail to tell us the parameters of reality.

Reality: if you want it bad, you'll get it bad. That goes for products, as well as advice.

Good, fast, cheap - you get to pick TWO of those the first time you pick. The second time, you only get to pick ONE.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote