View Single Post
Old 12-10-2008, 11:30 AM   #34
rps
Registered

Question

Originally posted by feldon32:
I was hoping that there would be a 2 second delay from rolling over to the window until the title bar appears as a sort of solution to this issue. I know there are only so many hours in the day.  
As a software developer myself, I think this would be poor interface design; it doesn't really solve the problem either - it simply lessens the likelihood of it occurring. Personally, I don't ever use windowed mode myself, so I will pose the following suggestion (again), and ask those of you who like windowed mode if this would work for you:

1) Eliminate the *automatic* (or timed) hiding/display of the title bar, and replace it with a check-box on the options page. ("Display title bar in windowed mode: [x]") Default: checked.
2) Allow the window to be moved by clicking anywhere in the window and dragging it. (I've written code to do this before - it's not that hard.)
3) Add a pop-up menu when the user right-clicks on the window, with options like: Close, Minimize, Maximize, Menu.

I understand that current behavior of the program is that right-click simulates "Escape" and closes the program immediately. This is non-standard behavior for a Windows program; however, since the pop-up menu should appear under the mouse, and the first option should be "Close", the impact on the [minority?] of users who close the program this way, is that the will have to right-click, then click on Close.

The advantage of this approach is that it's relatively clean (from a Windows standard interface perspective), it eliminates the jumping issue completely, it's easier for new users to understand, and it's fairly easy to implement, requiring a minimum of coding.

Thoughts?

~Ralph S.
rps is offline   Reply With Quote