View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #35
Dale
Banned

Sorry to again make this "not fun", but I believe I have been unsuccessful in communicating, once again. Simply put, MA3 crashes in each of the three startup modes.

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:

I've tried to account for just about anything that could go wrong within the program, and instead of just locking up or crashing, I display Mircosoft's recommended bouncing box with text listing the error.  
It looks to me like it crashes. "MarineAquarium3 Beta8 has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:

I think what you are asking for is that the program not run AT ALL, or immediately shut down if it encounters an error. I'm not sure this is possible. Microsoft is pretty picky about these screenblankers being able to cover up sensitive information on a monitor. If someone leaves his desk at the DMV assuming that the screen blanker is about to come on, it's better if there's at least a black screen with a bouncing box than someone noticing that he'd been playing Solitaire.  
FIRST, re: screensaver mode (other modes later):

Yes, that's what I'm suggesting. But I'm never seeing a bouncing box with text. As you say, switching to some other screensaver would be an acceptable alternative.

What I am seeing (in the previously described instances), when the screensaver starts up, is:

A. Black screen - no logo. Followed in a couple of seconds with an hourglass.

B. About 15 seconds later, the "standard" Microsoft dialog box that says "MarineAquarium3 Beta8 has encountered a problem and needs to close.", followed by the usual invitation to notify Microsoft. In my experience, that dialog box is never deliberately generated by program authors.

===========
SECOND: the other 2 startup modes (click on the icon, and preview) - both also operate the same way. Black screen followed by "MarineAquarium3 Beta8 has encountered a problem and needs to close."

So, in those two startup modes, you're dealing with the simulation, not the screensaver.

=================

From an external (program behavior) viewpoint, it looks to me just like the program crashes. Any way it's started.

You clearly have some sort of test that is (at least in the environment I'm testing) absolutely diagnostic. That test runs every time MarineAquarium3 is selected in the Screen Saver tab of the Display Properties dialog box is clicked. I suspect (hard to tell without seeing the code) that the test actually runs each time the MINI-Preview (in the Screen Saver pane) tries to start. That test currently just pops up a dialog box warning about the (claimed) absence of Direct3D. Clicking "OK" allows everything else to just go ahead and happen (for instance, clicking on "Apply" to select this as the default screensaver, regardless of the warning). [And the MINI-preview doesn't run and doesn't crash]

But, as far as I can tell, that test is never run when starting MA3 by clicking on the desktop icon, OR by clicking on the Preview button on the Screen Saver panel, OR when the screensaver starts automatically.

My suggestion is that perhaps you consider running that test for each of those three starting methods. (Perhaps it's really one place - I can't see the code, of course). If the test fails, do something intelligent at that point - either just pop up the "no Direct3D" dialog box, or (where appropriate) start some other screensaver.

That will prevent MA3 from looking like it crashed (whether or not it did).

However, there's at least one other issue that I'll detail later - this reply is already long enough, and perhaps it's helpful to make sure one issue is understood before we go on.

Note: I'm just trying to make sure the issue is clearly understood. How/if it is fixed, is up to the software author.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote