View Single Post
Old 02-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #33
Dale
Banned

OK, after about 2 hours of testing, I've nailed down what is happening with the builtin chipset (haven't tried another card yet, and maybe won't).

This chipset allows two screen resolutions (1024x768 and 800x600) with a standard monitor, and two color qualities (16-bit and 24-bit). [And several different refresh rates, which I didn't test - yet]. And I have 3 driver versions on hand - two Compaq and one Intel.

I finally "got a clue" that indicated that I should test all of the permutations. Note that's 12 combinations to test, with reboots, etc. But I'll simplify the results.

It's not directly the chipset. Either resolution (1024x768 or 800x600), at 24-bit quality, fails. Either resolution at 16-bit quality WORKS. (Well, "works" is sorta judgmental, but we expected that).

The good news, for this particular issue, is that the test which produces the "Could not find any compatible Direct2D devices" message seems to be an exact discrimination. If the message appears when selecting MA3 as screensaver, MA3 will not run in any full-screen mode. (I have not yet tested it in windowed mode, so perhaps it's different with "start in windowed mode"? -- maybe back to the test bench?)

Bottom line: if the test fails, don't let it run, and tell the user why.

Footnote: it's obviously not exactly correct/sufficient to say it couldn't find a compatible Direct3D device - because the device never changed.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote