View Single Post
Old 02-01-2002, 05:41 PM   #4
feldon34
Forum Administrator

EDITED to include 2 posts and updated re: 1.0 > Lionfish upgrade
(playing lawyer for a moment)

There is no user manual included in the boxed version except for a Read Me file. The CD insert is a one pager (look at the front of the jewel case and then the inside "open tray" and you have seen the whole thing). Nothing about updates is included in either the Read Me file or printed on the insert.

The upgrade strategy had not been decided when the boxed version went to press, but it still would have been nice to vaguely say on the box and on the CD insert "updates available at SereneScreen.com".

Jim has a tendancy to say "free updates" which can be a legal liability if not clarified to exclude things. At one time, Jim had "replacement backgrounds" (with an S) listed at SereneScreen.com and I had a disgruntled customer contact me about that.

It would be better and legally safer to put a list of things that WILL BE included in the price of 99L and the boxed version (1.0):

<li>3D background compatible with 4:3 and 16:9 widescreen displays
<li>Full compatibility with Stereoscopic electronic 3D glasses
<li>Individual fish behaviors (which specific fishes are subject to change)
<li>Feeding the fish
<li>Tapping on the glass
<li>Lionfish

Specialty creatures will be made available 7 or 10 at a time in $10 packages. So the lifecycle cost of the Aquarium will be $40-50 if you go with all the extras. These extras include:

Pufferfish, Cleaner Wrasse, Banded Coral Shrimp, Zebra Eel, Ribbon Eel, Jellyfish, Crab, Lobster, Nudibranchs (sea slugs), and Octopus, and possibly a Shark

these may be free, or included in the packs:

Mandarin Gobi, Sea Anemone w/ Clownfisn

As soon as I have time, I will be updating my website with a list of stores stocking the Aquarium (nobody's telling me anything yet and Prolific is afraid of web sales being cannibalized by retail sales), as well as a comprehensive list of the 1.1 features (now at about 15 and counting) over 99L and 1.0.
"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else is public relations." - George Orwell
"If voting changed anything, they'd make it illegal." - Emma Goldman

Last edited by feldon34; 02-02-2002 at 03:02 AM.
feldon34 is offline   Reply With Quote