View Single Post
Old 05-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
Dale
Banned

Originally posted by Jim Sachs:
The reason I made these permanent is that some people hate one or more of those items so much that they want to permanently disable them with one keystroke, then never have to deal with them again. Yet the features have to default to ON the first time the program is ever started, or many people wouldn't even know they were available.  
Jim, they can't be disabled with one keystroke. Here's what it takes:

0. Find out how to get to the settings screen - assume....
1. Press space
2. Click About - and read.
3. Click Cancel
4. Click OK
5. Press M, B, P

After step 1 above, it's easier and faster to satisfy hate by:

2. Click "Program Settings"
3. Uncheck 3 boxes (same effort as 5. above)
4. Click OK Twice.

Well, OK - it's the same number of "keystrokes". But my thinking was:

A. It's inconsistent. For instance, why wouldn't "W", "F", "S" work the same way? [Although I do see the "F2" seems to be "permanent"]

B. If it's a "permanent" change, then the legend needs tweaking. For instance: "Pause Automatic Scrolling" should be "Permanently Pause Automatic Scrolling" - or "Automatic Scrolling On/Off" or something.

C. Ideally, from a user interface perspective, a "permanent toggle" should have its current setting displayed. That would apply to the "About" screen, in this case. [The "Program Settings" screen of course displays that information]

The largest consideration, in my opinion, is that key behavior should be consistent. That's (in my opinion) particularly important because of (shortage of) documentation.

But - in the scheme of things like background colors, it's not a big deal. Let's see what other folks think.
Dale is offline   Reply With Quote